23-06-18 Gotta little ketchup

Post by Giz »

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 23-06-18 Gotta little ketchup

Post by Azrael »

And Gary knee-caps himself. All is right with the World once more. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I'm curious as to how *wild* Peggy's college days were because I doubt they were exactly "wild" in the same vein as the spy shoot-out scene... One could presume that the escalation of their date put previous experiences into better perspective, even if they were probably far more mundane in comparison to recent events; the reason for the ridiculous escalation seems to be so Peggy realised there a line where fun becomes less than fun by virtue of chaos?

Anyways, it is a rather sombre conclusion to the arc - if it isn't the end of the arc as a all, it feels like the end of this particular episode. It's quite sombre since Zii is heading off to presumably screw DiDi to "save" their relationship, when it was fairly apparent Zii's newfound insight into her impulsive and compulsive behaviour had made her rethink the whole thing; yet, perhaps wanting to avoid "failing" another relationship, she will - seemingly at least for now - stick with DiDi in spite of it being a hollow experience.
Rather droll that Maura will evidently remain as... to avoid angering anyone, let's just say, remain as an "apprentice" under Lynn, the former being too starstruck to know what she really feels, and the latter being too self-aggrandising to show restraint.
I suppose "disillusion" is a theme of the arc overall, as with Peggy's reunion with her ex-gf making her ponder that perhaps despite the thrill of her college days, they weren't fulfilling, or rather as fulfilling as she had remembered. Adding to the sense of disillusionment is that Gary is lying to her, when he had been predominantly honest with her until this point - he could just tell the truth, which is perhaps telling of him as a bit of a creeper (but he's a straight dude that likes to get F'd in the a', albeit by a woman wearing a sex tool, so a creep factor would be already known), however, instead he is using a Zii tactic of not answering and deflecting the question.

Peggy's final expression shows her inherent sassy personality, though I'm not sure whether it is manifesting as wry confusion or the beginnings of anger (mild, but anger nonetheless). Gary's guilty face helps reinforces the skeeviness of fibbing and basically prostituting to dodge telling the truth.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Welp, it's looking like Gary's FWB relationship with Peggy isn't going to last much longer. And unless Zii changes her mind before the comic wraps up Gary is probably going to end up with no one at all.

And I wish we would get the wrap-up arc for Dillon's comic already but that can keeps getting kicked further down the road.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

:(( wow, that expression on Peggy's face in that last panel, to quote Peggy in the last strip, "I don't think you are getting that blow job Gary" LOL

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

So... why did Peggy go home? Her night involved her date committing homocide and her stopping a gun shot to the stomach. Why isn’t she still dealing with the police? That shit takes a while, because usually the cops have some questions when your date gets into a gun fight and you end up doing emergency medicine on someone as a result.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

As far as the police, no idea. There's plenty of spy drama where a 'cleaner' comes by to remove evidence/bodies... or the assassins got their own...or Bianca's side claimed the body... or Peggy just booked the scene. We don't know, and probably never will. The gunfight scene sounded like a joke - a punchline - to explain off being too excited. While someone in power knows she was there, I doubt they will need Peggy there to fill in any blanks. Besides, a police interrogation usually doesn't fit inside a rom-com.

Yeah, Gary needs to just come clean with Peggy and say he accidentally followed her after leaving Matt & Yuki. It might jeopardize their FWB status, but a clean conscience is better. Peggy will probably understand, and it's not like weirder things haven't happened tonight. Besides, he's already started with an apology before noticing the stain on her top. Or maybe she will decide that living at the apartment is getting 'too wild' and decide to leave. The story could take a few turns.

To be fair about people finding this arc's wrap-up unfulfilling, perhaps that is what is needed. Zii had to figure out her feelings for Gary. Considering how long she's lusted after Didi, she also won't dump her without good reason... even before her recent string of ego blows. Combine that with how she is usually loyal to a friend(-in need), there wasn't any doubt in my mind that Zii would be following Didi together to their bedroom. This will give a chance to mentally be able to compare & contrast Didi vs. Gary. Her neediness versus his givingness. Plus, Gary's FWB status would have to be (probably) ended in order for him to fully commit to a full-time partner. Whether that is by Peggy ending it for whatever reason, or Gary doing the same after his realization that he's more-than-likely not going to get the permanent love he's seeking through Peggy. We'll have to see.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Udyr

Post by Udyr »

I seriously hope some sort of karma will happen, but who knows. I guess being in a loveless relationship only based on sex alone when wanting something more is a punishment alone. Gary should just tell her the truth- 'he happened to spot them out of the cafe when he was doing an errand (even if the errand was to 'not spy' on her) :))
eeeek!

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I mean, if her girlfriend's a spy, she probably has a cleaner... we already knew Peggy didn't stick around after the assassin was stable (or died - thinking about it, "died" is more likely).

daryljfontaine

Post by daryljfontaine »

Read that as “double-wide” at first and was concerned for Gary’s self-preservation instincts...

D

someone

Post by someone »

What's wrong with "I saw you with a woman in the street as I was walking home from Matt's place"?

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Nothing. And that's exactly why he won't say that and defuse the whole thing.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:21 am
So... why did Peggy go home? Her night involved her date committing homocide and her stopping a gun shot to the stomach. Why isn’t she still dealing with the police? That shit takes a while, because usually the cops have some questions when your date gets into a gun fight and you end up doing emergency medicine on someone as a result.
You know, it's funny. I remember doing a Penny and Aggie story years ago where the teenage characters cooperated immediately and fully with the police because one of their classmates had been kidnapped, and many readers felt that doing so was foolish and would compromise their future. I realize trusting police is a dicier proposition in many areas of America than it is in Montreal, but I still wouldn't have felt very good about most of those characters saying "Eh, I din't see nuffin'" when a life was in danger, even a life belonging to someone who was herself horrible.

But I don't feel like Peggy has the same kind of duty, and I think she'd be able to get out of there in the window of time between finishing stanching the blood and the arrival of an ambulance, especially since instead of calling 911, she can call someone specific at the hospital who owes her a favor (probably Aishani). If she did go to the police, since this took place at Bianca's residence, most of the questions she'd be asked would be about Bianca ("What do you know about her, where is she now?"). And while Peggy may be closing the door on any further dates with her old fling, I think she's got enough lingering feeling for her to want to protect her that much.

Remember, too, that panic was a factor in her decision-making: "I'm scared someone else will attack any second." Saving a life trumps everything for her, but once that life was saved, her own personal safety was second. And she felt safer on her own than in a public place where Bianca's enemies might have an operative already.

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am
I'm curious as to how *wild* Peggy's college days were because I doubt they were exactly "wild" in the same vein as the spy shoot-out scene... One could presume that the escalation of their date put previous experiences into better perspective, even if they were probably far more mundane in comparison to recent events; the reason for the ridiculous escalation seems to be so Peggy realised there a line where fun becomes less than fun by virtue of chaos?
Yeah, either Bianca was not a spy when she was with Peggy, or Peggy never found out about that (remember how shocked Peggy was that Bianca had a gun hidden under the couch). But they had some differences of opinion back then that foreshadowed their last argument over whether saving the life of an assassin is a "waste of time," even when your own life is also at some risk.

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Udyr wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:21 am
I seriously hope some sort of karma will happen, but who knows. I guess being in a loveless relationship only based on sex alone when wanting something more is a punishment alone. Gary should just tell her the truth- 'he happened to spot them out of the cafe when he was doing an errand (even if the errand was to 'not spy' on her) :))
For a very long time now, I have felt a disconnect between what seems to be the general consensus in the forums and the views that I think Gisele, Dave, and I hold when it comes to the character of some of our characters, particularly Zii and DiDi. I think we tend to see their actions through a far more compassionate lens than y'all do (and I know I'm generalizing here, but I don't have the time to go case-by-case).

If you're reading Ma3 in hopes that DiDi falls into an open manhole in the last strip, followed by a cry of "Aaaagh! Les alligators sont partout!" and a few crunching sounds, then I'm afraid we're going to disappoint you. DiDI's cruelties are accidental; her kindnesses are deliberate. Sure, she's dense as osmium, especially when she's got the prospect of an orgasm to cloud her perspective, but add a few IQ points and that was probably me in my early twenties, too.

Zii is a more complex case because she does have the experience and intelligence to understand that following her impulses has harmed both others and herself. I do admit that some reader response probably improved her development in terms of inspiring us to give her more accountability. She's working on changing. It's not easy.

The narrative that the relationship between them is "loveless" baffles me. The mere fact that DiDi seems to be demisexual (which would probably have been an issue with Lynn) would seem to contradict that. I realize we probably didn't show enough of their non-sexual bonding after the Overlord arc to set this up, but I have to wonder what evidence, if any, would sway opinion toward the relationship being genuine at this point. That should not be taken as a spoiler-- they could stay together, they could split. But the answer to "when will they realize this is empty, meaningless sex" is "never, because it isn't and never was."

If you're reading and enjoying the strip, then thanks. If you're doing so despite (or because of) loathing any or all of our characters, then thanks again, but I don't know how much we'll have to say to each other. To me, the MA3 cast has its good points and bad like most people, but there aren't any I consider hate-worthy.

Except Nathan and Yvan.