Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

05-06-18 Too exciting

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 05-06-18 Too exciting

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Seems Zii couldn't resist dumping on Gary's self-confidence yet again; granted, it could merely be her being truthful for once, and perhaps hasn't got the best grasp on tact. At least she isn't retreating into denial about her unfaithfulness, although even if it is unfortunate such a sense of *loyalty* was found within a worthless relationship with DiDi (who has been shown quite clearly to lack basic emotional understanding and simple respect), rather than with Erik or other similar relationships she has previously botched due to her capriciousness and blinding lust.

On to something completely different.... Something ultimately ridiculously different. Seems like confirmation Peggy and Bianca's reunion did result in sex for "the good ol' days," but never would I have expected a crime drama action set piece to interrupt it! :))
... Is there some other series set in the same universe that has suddenly arrived for an utterly out of nowhere crossover? The only logic I can think of is that Peggy and Bianca were maybe in a drama club, so they didn't hook up for a hook up, but rather to shoot a short film like they did in college?

Gorgeous art as ever: from the subtle blush and expressions of both Gary and Zii, to the over-the-top shock on Peggy's face. Also, while technically SFW, Peggy looks lovely nude, and even Bianca's underwear-only... action movie pose(?), ha, is nice.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Looks like Didi is about to get another sound scolding from Peggy again (pretty sure Bianca is living at one of those ritzier hotels that provide long term stay overs, and that banging they're hearing is Maura and Didi wrestling in an adjacent room).
Last edited by Fluffy on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

That pretty much sums up my take on the cut scene to Peggy. I never knew that the Canadian government was so strict on paying back student loans that they'd have hit squads sent out at random. :)) I had pretty much written Peggy off for dozens of strips... maybe making an appearance once the dust settles from Lynn's apartment. Having someone bust a cap into her ass would be one way to write her out as a lover for Gary. Drastic. BTW, where was she hiding that gun that Peggy didn't notice? What was Bianca's profession again?
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 am
Seems Zii couldn't resist dumping on Gary's self-confidence yet again; granted, it could merely be her being truthful for once...
I did not come away with that reaction from Zii asking Gary to stop. I viewed it as the exact opposite. Gary's kiss was enough to have her consider being unfaithful to her #1 previously unattainable love/lust object. Since Gary was also aware of her low libido, once Gary gets some O2 back in his brain, he'll realize that he has an effect on Zii despite her protestations and declarations that her 'little man in the canoe' has none towards him. While it isn't going from sharing a kiss to "knickers off!" it has to mean something positive to Gary's confidence and sexual identity. Unless of course Zii has some sort of previously unseen taboo 'little brother' fetish, but that would be wrong not to mention gilding the lily.

Gary is honorable, and innocently naive. He'll respect their boundary. Zii might go rub one out to bring her little man back to the dock, as it were. But she'll try to salvage and mend her shallow relationship with Didi. To what end, well, who knows. While it is painful to watch the Gary/Zii romantic relationship remain unrequited, I feel it is a very good taste of things to come. I expect the first time they actually get down to the deed, their sex will be as heartfelt as Yuki's proclamation of "lovemaking to make the gods weep." Many many panels of it, in fact. Like, a whole week of strips painting them in a perpetual shag-fest.

As to the naysayers thinking that Didi might not have a freakout with Lynn due to Didi's horror movie preconceptions of lovemaking: remember the curveball thrown to us via the ending of this strip. Nothing is sacred, and indeed...
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 am
Looks like Didi is about to get another sound scolding from Peggy again (pretty sure Bianca is living at one of those ritzier hotels that provide long term stay overs, and that banging they're hearing is Maura and Didi wrestling in an adjacent room).
“Keep your head down” and taking cover behind the couch more strongly suggests gunshots.

On the other hand your theory is more in keeping with the comedy style of the comic...

Tough one.

What tips it for me is Bianca having a gun of her own. Not as common in Canada. So, she probably has the thing because getting shot is something she worries about.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

capicoli

Post by capicoli »

After all those times Peggy shot down Gary I hope he doesn't end up with her purely because his competition comes with a chance of death. I'd prefer he stay alone.

tcrpgfan

Post by tcrpgfan »

Wow, Zii was honest for once... kinda sweet, when you think about it. Zii admitted she enjoyed the kiss. She stopped because she didn't want to fuck things up again like she was prone to in the past. Gary... is someone who can get behind that. He won't wait, but he'll get it. Zii//Didi, that ship is dead in the water, like 'deader than dead bedroom levels of dead in the water'.
"Time... Lines? Time isn't made out of lines... It is made out of circles. THAT is why clocks are round." -Caboose from Red vs. Blue

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...so are we getting a peak at a spinoff?

Confirmed that Peggy and Bianca weren't just play-flirting, anyway...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

The plot didn't just take a twist, it divided by zero... :|

I'll try to catch up somehow later today... Was at a conference last week and generally under a huge workload... :-s
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Seems Zii couldn't resist dumping on Gary's self-confidence yet again...
That line didn't strike me as malicious; it's just desperate denial. Sure, she could give Gary's ego a boost if she was more honest, but it's not like she told him he was a bad kisser or anything, and he's placid enough that she won't have hurt him bad there.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
At least she isn't retreating into denial about her unfaithfulness, although even if it is unfortunate such a sense of *loyalty* was found within a worthless relationship with DiDi (who has been shown quite clearly to lack basic emotional understanding and simple respect), rather than with Erik or other similar relationships she has previously botched due to her capriciousness and blinding lust.
But the whole point of recent events is that Zii has finally admitted that she has a tendency to bollix things up. It's not just that she's more committed to DiDi than to Erik; it's that she's had a big moment of self-knowledge that makes her capable of this at all. Sure, you can say it's cosmically unfair that Zii reached that understanding while in a relationship with DiDi rather than much sooner, but so it goes; better to get there now than never.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
... Is there some other series set in the same universe that has suddenly arrived for an utterly out of nowhere crossover?
I think that this gunfight scene is mostly there to support the "too exciting" joke; heck, we may never find out what's actually going on with Bianca, we just need this one big panel for the punchline. I certainly don't see this as any kind of crossover. On the other hand, the other Ma3-universe character who seems to be engaged in secret games of death and deception is Aaina, so perhaps we'll see a cross-link there one day.

Actually, I very much suspect that this scene has come from the same part of Dave01's brain as the Aaina-cat burglar plot strand in SotR; after years of writing domesticated, essentially peaceful sex comedy while consuming whole shelves of manga, it must get real tempting to have a beautiful woman come through a door with a gun (or a savate kick). Even if it does scramble the tone a bit.

Hmm. Perhaps, by the end of this scene, Peggy will have demonstrated her usual ability to get it together when shit gets real, and decked a hostile mook with a chair or something. At which point, Bianca might even say "well, I was going to get around to trying to recruit you eventually"... Anyway, I now imagine Bianca and/or Peggy ending up like Steve in Questionable Content or Fallon Young in Scary-Go-Round; the ordinary-looking second-string cast member with a day job they don't talk about, but who is revealed in cutaways to have a PhD in kicking your ass and a tendency to confront wannabe world-conquerors on the edge of volcanoes.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Gorgeous art as ever: from the subtle blush and expressions of both Gary and Zii, to the over-the-top shock on Peggy's face.
Nice art indeed, yes, but the speed lines in panel 3 look odd. They'd usually indicate rapid motion, but Peggy and Bianca are currently stationary.
Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 am
Even if you're right about the source of the noise, that doesn't remove the fact that Bianca carries a gun, and responds to loud noises by drawing it and taking cover in a distinctly professional sort of way. (Canadian gun laws aside, she's not just a woman who's cautious about muggers; she's acting like a trained combatant.) That's a major tonal shift and something of a significant character reveal.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Nice art indeed, yes, but the speed lines in panel 3 look odd. They'd usually indicate rapid motion, but Peggy and Bianca are currently stationary.
I think they're meant to be a kind of "camera zoom-in".

And, yeah, Bianca's last name is probably Romanov.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Nah, we know she was educated in Canada. The Black Widows were a Soviet programme. She’s more like a product of the Canadian branch of the other Avengers organisation.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So, Alpha Flight? :-?
ImageImage

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 am

@worldshaking00: good choice of pics! :ymapplause: Both convey perfectly the thoughts that went through my head when I saw that final panel. Well done!

I'm guessing Bianca is involved in something Gwynn wouldn't approve of... some shady, dangerous business, probably illegal... :-s poor Peggy, she'll be really sad and disappointed...

Of course, the other possibility is that Bianca is working for the government's secret service and actually is a Canadian James Bond of sorts? (He-ey, I wouldn't mind that one at all! :ymblushing: )
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif