22-05-18 I like strong men

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5548
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Error of Logic » Mon May 28, 2018 5:03 am

Seems she's still maintaining her claim, then, in spite of the recorded evidence against it.

User avatar
Fluffy
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Fluffy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Rosa wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 am
rogermart wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:53 pm
Rosa wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:07 pm
It took me some time to realize. Looking back, it was pretty evident.
- His favorite book is Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Oh, it was mine, too... when I was 12 years old
I don't know Error's age, but i'm 35 and i'm still a fan of Tolkien's work, my favorite book from him is The Silmarillion. So even if now i read books like Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" or Thomas Frank's "Listen, Liberal", doesn't mean that i find Tolkien's work only for kids.
In my case, it was the political content of his works that repelled me. As a kid of twelve, I didn't really understand the allegories and the messages. Later, I did.

And there was also the fact that, by then, I had started reading other authors and discovered non-Manichean fantasy writing. That had some impact, too.
And yet, you used this viewpoint of yours as a means to patronize another poster on this forum because they didn't agree with your opinion on fictional characters. Where was the logic behind that?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Prydonian
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:55 am

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Prydonian » Wed May 30, 2018 12:13 am

I’m frankly astounded by the suggestions that Tolkein’s work is for children and Dawkins’s work isn’t.
Rosa wrote: That's the whole point of the game: imagining the original characters as adults.
I dislike asserting anything with such certainty unless the author has confirmed it. Personally, I disagree.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy » Wed May 30, 2018 2:12 am

I remember Tolkien & Chandler being mentioned before, but who's this Dawkins who you seem not to think highly of? Image



Image

User avatar
vampire hunter D
Posts: 3910
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: Jasoom

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by vampire hunter D » Wed May 30, 2018 4:13 am

Dawkins is an astronomer and outspoken atheist. And giant loudmouth. He thinks people who hate him are brainwashed religeous beloevers who dont like that he's right. As an atheist, I dont like him either because he's arrogant and annoying.
Pointless arguing is one of the three pillars upon which the Internet is built. The other two are of course cat pictures and porn.

User avatar
True_Avery
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by True_Avery » Wed May 30, 2018 6:30 am

What the hell kind of inane bickering is happening in here

When people aren't equating flirting with abuse, you are all bickering like adult internet commentators about the appropriate age of literature in a forum related to sex comedies - truly the highest level of discourse possible
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

User avatar
Rosa
BANNED
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Rosa » Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Richard Dawkins. Not a fiction author, unlike the other two; he writes about philosophy, science and religion. His book "The God Delusion" was a big hit ten years ago. It's a book of essays where he makes a case for atheism and examines in depth the damage that organized religion does to individual men and society in general. IMO there's nothing wrong with his ideas, but a lot of people (even those who share his views) question the 'aggressive' and 'arrogant' attitude he has shown in debates, tv appearances and such. Go figure. :-??

If you are interested and want to buy the book (y'know, buy, that thing adults do... unlike kids who only read wiki summaries :p ) here's an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/God-Delusion-Ric ... 0618918248

Other books on the same subject are put forward in the same page, too.
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

User avatar
Fluffy
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Fluffy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 am

Rosa wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 pm
If you are interested and want to buy the book (y'know, buy, that thing adults do... unlike kids who only read wiki summaries :p )
I don't think you realize just how insulting you're being to both adults and kids with that snide little comment of yours; not to mention - given you're previous responses to EoL - it's obvious what you're actually saying).

Kindly stop with this patronizing crap; you're not coming off as witty/smart, you're coming off looking like a condescending jerk.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank you vampire hunter D and Rosa! :)

@vampire hunter D, I know what you mean, I can see how too much pontificating can get tedious no matter what it is you're advocating.....

@Rosa, thx for the link, many interesting choices of reading recommended there... (and also, y'know, wiki has its uses, too!)

oh for the record I will admit that I like Chandler like 1000 times more than Tolkien, hehe... in Chandler's books there are no moralizing, no god, no good or evil; the characters live in an amoral, impersonal world, and if the main lead chooses to be a hero and scrawl his own design on this morally blank world (to quote someone else :p ) he can do it but it prolly won't end well for him even if he succeeds... Tolkien, it's like he's constantly rambling the same black-&-white good vs evil fake-ass story again and again, and it bores me to tears....



Image

User avatar
Rosa
BANNED
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Rosa » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
@Rosa, thx for the link, many interesting choices of reading recommended there... (and also, y'know, wiki has its uses, too!)
Wikipedia is many things, but one thing it is not is a valid, reliable source of info. When a student turns in a paper, first thing I do is check the bibliography. If I find Wiki among the references, I hand back the paper and tell them to write it again, this time using proper sources.

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
oh for the record I will admit that I like Chandler like 1000 times more than Tolkien, hehe... in Chandler's books there are no moralizing, no god, no good or evil; the characters live in an amoral, impersonal world, and if the main lead chooses to be a hero and scrawl his own design on this morally blank world (to quote someone else :p ) he can do it but it prolly won't end well for him even if he succeeds... Tolkien, it's like he's constantly rambling the same black-&-white good vs evil fake-ass story again and again, and it bores me to tears....
You are in the minority, then. *smiles* Both are trivial writers who spawned cult followings, but Tolkien's is a hundred times bigger than Chandler's.
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5548
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Error of Logic » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 am

0_= I do wonder how she defines 'trivial', exactly, given that both the authors mentioned had a powerful influence on their respective genre.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Rosa wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:54 pm
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
@Rosa, thx for the link, many interesting choices of reading recommended there... (and also, y'know, wiki has its uses, too!)
Wikipedia is many things, but one thing it is not is a valid, reliable source of info. When a student turns in a paper, first thing I do is check the bibliography. If I find Wiki among the references, I hand back the paper and tell them to write it again, this time using proper sources.
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
oh for the record I will admit that I like Chandler like 1000 times more than Tolkien, hehe... in Chandler's books there are no moralizing, no god, no good or evil; the characters live in an amoral, impersonal world, and if the main lead chooses to be a hero and scrawl his own design on this morally blank world (to quote someone else :p ) he can do it but it prolly won't end well for him even if he succeeds... Tolkien, it's like he's constantly rambling the same black-&-white good vs evil fake-ass story again and again, and it bores me to tears....
You are in the minority, then. *smiles* Both are trivial writers who spawned cult followings, but Tolkien's is a hundred times bigger than Chandler's.

Pfft, when I think of Tolkien, you know who I picture? this guy:

Image


except that instead of LOVE and HATE he has tattooed GOOD and EVIL on his knuckles, and then he tries to entertain us by arm wrestling with himself:
"... and then Evil SNEAKILY attacks Good coz he's NASTY and TREACHEROUS and it looks that Good is in DANGER but then, what's this? Good OVERPOWERS Evil coz he's NOBLE and STRONGER and Evil is BEATEN! Good WINS! Good WINS! hooh-hah! hooh-hah!"
this is pretty much the only thing Tolkien could write, and he wrote it again and again... just like R. Mitchum in that movie doing his arm wrestling show...

User avatar
Rosa
BANNED
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Rosa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 pm
I guess you didn't read his reply, hm? kid claims that he never pledged a cent to Giz 'cause he gives all his savings to CHARITIES!!! =))
it's the best answer ever, lolol... here we are in Ma3 forum, where Giz is always inviting us to pledge money to her Kickstarters, and the kid's like telling her: "No, Ms. Lagacé, I'm not supporting you with even one cent, I won't waste money in some broad who draws comics, I pledge all my money to LOFTY and IMPORTANT things like charities!"
he should email her a gif animation of a loogie since he's at it...
:-o Wow...
He boasted, in this forum, that he will never give a penny to Giz because she's not important enough? Like, wow... amazing... you don't see this often at all...

He's not just a school kid, he's also bottom of the class.

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm
"... and then Evil SNEAKILY attacks Good coz he's NASTY and TREACHEROUS and it looks that Good is in DANGER but then, what's this? Good OVERPOWERS Evil coz he's NOBLE and STRONGER and Evil is BEATEN! Good WINS! Good WINS! hooh-hah! hooh-hah!"
this is pretty much the only thing Tolkien could write, and he wrote it again and again... just like R. Mitchum in that movie doing his arm wrestling show...
You do have a point; Tokien's religious views were nothing if not Manichean.

Me, it's mostly the political messages in his books that irritate me.
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Rosa wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:00 pm
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 pm
I guess you didn't read his reply, hm? kid claims that he never pledged a cent to Giz 'cause he gives all his savings to CHARITIES!!! =))
it's the best answer ever, lolol... here we are in Ma3 forum, where Giz is always inviting us to pledge money to her Kickstarters, and the kid's like telling her: "No, Ms. Lagacé, I'm not supporting you with even one cent, I won't waste money in some broad who draws comics, I pledge all my money to LOFTY and IMPORTANT things like charities!"
he should email her a gif animation of a loogie since he's at it...
:-o Wow...
He boasted, in this forum, that he will never give a penny to Giz because she's not important enough? Like, wow... amazing... you don't see this often at all...

He's not just a school kid, he's also bottom of the class.
LOL :))

Rosa wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:00 pm
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm
"... and then Evil SNEAKILY attacks Good coz he's NASTY and TREACHEROUS and it looks that Good is in DANGER but then, what's this? Good OVERPOWERS Evil coz he's NOBLE and STRONGER and Evil is BEATEN! Good WINS! Good WINS! hooh-hah! hooh-hah!"
this is pretty much the only thing Tolkien could write, and he wrote it again and again... just like R. Mitchum in that movie doing his arm wrestling show...
You do have a point; Tokien's religious views were nothing if not Manichean.

Me, it's mostly the political messages in his books that irritate me.
I remember one book... there's a city, a republic, where the people have civil rights & political rights & everything... then the people topple the government and replace it with an absolute monarchy, an almighty king... and give up all their rights... and they live happily ever after... #-o



Image

User avatar
DarkAsh
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 am
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: 22-05-18 I like strong men

Post by DarkAsh » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 am

Please, let’s not shame people for how they want to spend their money. We don’t know what their financial situation maybe. Speculations should be left to characters and plots and not our fellow readers.

Post Reply