10-05-18 More than a lover

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 10-05-18 More than a lover

Post by Spidrift »

Patton wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:48 pm
Why do I get the sense that Thanos is about to make a cameo in the Ma3 ‘verse?
Probably not. Marvel comics and (probably) movies exist there, so it’d be dubiously fourth-wall-bending if Marvel characters had actual existence there.

Whereas I don’t recall a single in-comic reference to Star Trek, which seems utterly bizarre, and leads me to think that there’s only one possible explanation; this is actually the Trek universe, and the whole comic is ST fanfic.

After which, deducing that Sonya is a Vulcan cultural anthropologist is simple.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

hey why are so many people saying that Zii "goes to 11" or "is up to 11"?

I count at least 13 mark lines when the dial hand is at max...

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Because it's an accepted expression for someone going the extra mile. Naturally.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

This Is Spinal Tap reference, if that helps narrow down the pop culture @FGF. It does look more like a fuel or pressure gauge than a volume dial. So interesting how Gary's little 'meaningless' words have such a dramatic effect of Zii... like these are the words she's been wanting to hear... like... forever. And Gary isn't intentionally directing them to her. Or is he? Remember the strip where he tried to flirt with Zii in her van? I'd love to see Gary just declare his love for Zii, if for no other reason to watch Gisele draw pieces of Zii on the sofa, walls, and ceiling as Zii sexplodes. Or just some amazing facial expressions, if murdering off ZIi is no in the script. 8-}

It's like Zii's psyche is being vampirically drained by Didi, who wants her only for what she can do to her body. It is sad to see someone so selfish and oblivious to the plight of others (Didi) yet put on such a nice facade, then add the Didi Effect for maximum teflon-like immunity from reproach. Didi very much is acting like a succubus right now. I'm not saying the ZIi doesn't deserve her fair dose of karmic retribution for her own sins; but, I at least feel that Zii is getting pretty close to being karmically balanced.

We saw how she fell for Erik, who treated her like a queen, and how she F-ed up that relationship. Perhaps she's finally realized she needs companionship rather than just amazing (possibly borderline illegal, epic Amazonian) sex.

There was a great line in Star Trek TOS from the "Amok Time" episode: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Since we are discussing ST/Ma3 crossovers, I figure I'd throw my hat into the ring.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

well, I think she is going to wait till Tue :(

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Giz and her hubby are driving back to New Brunswick from Ottawa. No guarantees.

BTW, this is Dave Zero1. He's 6' 8" tall!

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

This Is Spinal Tap reference, if that helps narrow down the pop culture @FGF.
THANKS!!! now that explains it... I had never heard that reference before, and in fact I didn't even know about that movie... guess it's one of those things that native English-speakers are familiar with and I'm not... English is my 4th language, and I'm not so good at it, and it shows... I try to write in Céline's "dentelle" style to masquerade it, but it still shows, like in points like this one......

worldshaking00 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm
It does look more like a fuel or pressure gauge than a volume dial.
ack that's what I meant... a gauge... like a clock face... I got the wrong word when I wrote dial... see what I mean? my English sucks.... :(

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I watched it (Spinal Tap) drunk once. That's all I needed. Similar to other niche pop culture movies et al, alcohol or drug use (or at the very least, understanding that subculture) helps... especially when the entertainment in question revolves around such vice.

However I seem to recall a teaser trailer for the upcoming Deadpool 2 movie where Cable cranks his rather immense rifle to "11" as well. It adds a certain funny OMG!WTF! caliber to the joke... pun intended.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I’m not saying that Spinal Tap can’t be enjoyed drunk — it has some wonderfully silly moments (Stonehenge!) — but that’s honestly not necessary, and may well cause you to miss some stuff. It’s a very clever movie about stupid people. And the amount of booze or drugs in it is actually very low. Those characters are stupid in their own right, and didn’t need to fry their brains to get there.

“Turned up to 11” is the biggest pop culture buzz-phrase that came out of it, but you can tell fans by their reaction to a bunch of other phrases. “The saddest key”; “a bizarre gardening accident”; “Sniff the Glove”... The only problem is that it may ruin every real rock band tour/concert movie for you forever after.

It doesn’t have much sex, and nothing explicit, but honestly, any Ma3 fan should watch it.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

Don't forget the exploding Drummers :D

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I thought that they were just realism...Oh, sorry, the entire movie is just realism.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Now even Tuesday's comic is overdue :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

corwinargentus

Post by corwinargentus »

Yeah... a pregnant pause to build anticipation???? ENOUGH ALREADY!!! LOL. There must be a major reveal coming...

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Rosa wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm
gormadoc wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:25 pm
The entry for "friendship" includes "the highest form of intimacy."
Yes, exactly, that's her point. The highest form of intimacy must include love, but needs not include sex, which is a physical act even an animal can perform; thus friendship > coupling. That's what she was talking about. The idea of true friendship as the highest form of love is as old as the Greek philosophers, and as widespread as Asia, Oceania or Africa. You find it often in Japanese animation, for example. In the U.S.A. it is a sad but historically accurate fact that there was an explosion of anti-gay hysteria in the 20s that ravaged the country and pretty much eradicated the idea that friendship is the highest form of caring for someone else. In other countries, the homophobic wave did hit but it wasn't so bad.
As gormdoc said, intimacy meant "close familiarity", not love. Is this really a historically accurate fact?
Vitocap wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Rosa wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm
The idea of true friendship as the highest form of love is as old as the Greek philosophers, and as widespread as Asia, Oceania or Africa. You find it often in Japanese animation, for example.
Oh so true.

It was the main message of Sailor Moon, as I recall. :x

Mamoru: "That's right! I turned evil, and now I serve the Dark Kingdom! And we killed all those girls you called friends! Bwahahaha! So I guess the only path left for you is to join me! Do as I say and don't argue! Follow your man, like a good obedient Japanese woman!"
Usagi: *grabs a big-ass sword and skewers him like a hotdog*
That wasn't the message at all, which is why she tried killing herself immediately afterward.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

corwinargentus wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 pm
Yeah... a pregnant pause to build anticipation???? ENOUGH ALREADY!!! LOL. There must be a major reveal coming...
No, just a convention come and gone — coupled with the eternal unjustified optimism that causes Pixietrix to make too many promises and issue too few warnings.

We should understand this by now. But, well, fandom is built on wild-eyed optimism.
---------
Spidrift