Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

24-04-18 That girl can run really fast

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 24-04-18 That girl can run really fast

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I guess a throwaway update with a fairly amusing, if superfluous, tangential character is harmless for once in a while.
Though, I'd prefer if the final gag was on some pop culture reference that isn't one of the worst things ever. :))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

This strip would have seemed weird and pointless if we didn't know we were on the last volume; as it is, well, it's just Rob going out the way he came in -- and yes, seeming one tiny notch healthier rather than worse, so all the dark gags about him having died years ago can go away. Doesn't save him from being a running gag setup that never actually really ran, but whatevs -- might as well have the closure.

And yes, the substantial plot point is that DiDi can outpace Zii, so the logical but naive "Run after her!" suggestions can go away too.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Tell him, Zii! Tell him who's president now! :ymdevil:

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 am
I guess a throwaway update with a fairly amusing, if superfluous, tangential character is harmless for once in a while.
Though, I'd prefer if the final gag was on some pop culture reference that isn't one of the worst things ever. :))
I guess this has something to do with Giz being at Calgary this week, so I'm glad of any update when busy times happen. I just hope the Kickstarter stretch goal updates don't get left behind ;)

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Oh, hello Rob. That's the first time you've been physically in the strip in nearly seven years. Talk about a long bus trip. :P

Vaken

Post by Vaken »

Totally in character: he doesn't get out often.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, at least he didn't say Ivanka... :P Though to him, Ivanka is probably just a little girl.

Also, DID Zii stop smoking? I don't remember everything... And how does Rob realize that if he's just seeing her for a few seconds? Or has he always been there, spying, when Zii was on the porch (and always with a cigarette)?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think she stopped smoking after Rob weirded her out, actually...

Factoid trivia; Rob has only appeared in person in nine strips. (and been mentioned, for punchline purposes, in one more). Eulice has had ten. For a comic about three people living in an apartment, Ma3 has had very few apartment-life gags.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:55 pm
Well, at least he didn't say Ivanka... :P Though to him, Ivanka is probably just a little girl.
Considering he mentioned the 92 Olympics, Trump's marriage to Ivana (they divorced in 1992), and the classic "Is Reagan still president" (GHWBush took office in 1989), I would put him before 1992... so Ivanka is max. 10 years old, and still not the object of daddy's desires :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:

I would love for someone to tell him U.S. history from that point forward... :))
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Why on earth would they bring Rob back into the comic? He's a very minor character that hasn't been in the comic for several years.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

There's still trying to call her, to get her to stop Didi (going to Lynn). I suppose in her haste, the creative team could make Didi have left her cell phone back at the apartment thereby eliminating any further way for Zii to stop Didi from ouvert-ly cheating.

I wonder if it will be Zii who actually does the cheating (caveat: Didi thinks that Zii gave her permission to have an open relationship, but as we've read, there was a serious lack of communication). What if Zii, in a huff or depression or whatever, decides to get it on with Gary? And what if Didi and Lynn don't mesh... or other weird hijinks occur that makes sex with them not occur? That could just open up both of the ladies' eyes to the fact that they aren't meant for one another.

I wonder if having the characters (Zii specifically) not smoke is part of their advertisers requirements? Nipples aren't as bad as smoking, but we don't want kids getting the wrong idea. Either way, good on Zii. Comparing the art style from then to now, Zii does look better.

I hope we get at least another update before Giz's con appearance. If not, see y'all in a week or so.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Why on earth would they bring Rob back into the comic? He's a very minor character that hasn't been in the comic for several years.
I assume that he’s being given one last final-volume strip that mirrors his very first appearance.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm
There's still trying to call her, to get her to stop Didi (going to Lynn).
Do you really believe that DiDi would answer her damn phone? These characters are systematically, heroically bad at communication. Remember, sticking a note in Lita’s collar is the best way to get a message to Zii.
I wonder if having the characters (Zii specifically) not smoke is part of their advertisers requirements?
I doubt it, though Hollywood has had the message hammered home by various pressure groups in recent years, so who knows? But actually, smoking has become that much of a minority vice in recent years — 16% of the population in the UK, I believe — and hey, most of this cast are meant to be good kissers, and non-smokers may be put off by a mouthful of carcinogens.

Plus, it is hell on the complexion. And Giz or Dave may have honest-to-god personal conscience problems with making smoking look cool. It kills people, after all.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 pm
As weird as it may be, Rob's 'happy place' is in his apartment, being stuck in the 90s with his paranoia & conspiracy theories. The creative team are using his as a plot device to justify Didi entering the Speed Force (tm) and thus eliminate the most logical course for Zii to tell Didi to stop. Plus comedy.

And no, @Spidrift, I do think there is a chance she would answer her phone. She came to Zii asking for permission to see other sexual partners. Therefore she cares enough about Zii to pick up a phone call from her, even if we readers all know Didi is wanting her orgasm fix. It all depends on how the creative team sets it up. For example, if she left her phone at home on accident it would make calling her moot. Or if her cell was dead. Or if there was enough noisy traffic that Didi couldn't hear the phone ringing (comedy horn beeps conveniently placed). The obvious reason she wouldn't pick up is because she is too engrossed in running to Lynn's arms to even hear it go off; Didi has non-existant situational awareness when she is fixated on something. I assume that is one of the reasons why you think she wouldn't pick up, and I agree, it fits Didi well.

Lest we forget, Zii picked up her cell while having her mouth full of Didi. I don't know of many people who would take a call while having sex. I admit - this is Didi we are talking about. But living in our non-1992 smartphone society, some people are attached to those things and give them priority. It might be enough to jar Didi, but I doubt it because of the plot.

Side note: I assume Didi knows where Lynn is staying at. The gym her and Lynn wrestled in was at her hotel iirc. I wonder why Didi isn't calling Lynn to announce her impending visit and sexual intentions. There is a business card with Lynn's number on it. Ah, the cell phone plot thickens. Rob in the same strip? Coincidence? I think not. :YMALIEN:
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Even if DiDi wasn’t distracted, I wouldn’t find it out of character if she left the darned thing off most of the time, or let the battery run flat through sheer ditziness. Zii, for all her faults, likes interacting with people, and hence answers the phone even when she shouldn’t; DiDi is a solipsist, locked in her own little world. I don’t even remember offhand seeing DiDi talking on the phone — just texting, which after all avoids the need for actual conversation. And she won’t even do that when she actually wants to be with Lynn, because it’s the physical being-with that counts, not the communication.

And in any case, this is Ma3. Crap communication is the default.
---------
Spidrift