10-04-18 Want you to save her

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

worldshaking00

Re: 10-04-18 Want you to save her

Post by worldshaking00 »

I shipped Peggy & Gary... still do a bit... but the clues are there. Technically, Gary & Peggy aren't a thing due to Peggy keeping their relationship at their FwB level. One could argue as well that they both don't have a lot in common or have as much history or shared interests, apart from breathing and a like for superhero movies. I'm sure Gary would like to make it 'official' with Peggy, or would have prior to his latest conversation with Zii.

Gary's eyes are opening and his spine is gaining rigidity. Deep down, I think he knows what he is looking for in a female love interest... permanence being one of those goals.
  • He knows how to dress & clean up well now.
  • His posture and body language have improved.
  • He has learned to identify and successfully say 'no' to drama. Running away optional.
If his inability to pursue Zii is blocked (by both ethics and Didi), it sounds like it is going to be either a lonely night for Gary at home or date night. Why not go out and introduce himself to the scene? 'Not being in a relationship' with Peggy goes two ways. Gary doesn't have to be petty about it. Go have a good time, my boy. I suppose if the writers are wanting to not introduce a new character (or character wrinkle) this late in the story, Gary will introspect... or we'll just scene change and put a pin in where we left off Gary.

I agree that the restaurant (and its name drop) is being hyped, and it would be weird to not include it in future strips. It is just going to be with other characters, and not Gary. Good on you, Gary.

Also @Spidrift, in case you missed it, Giz did re-announce in the latest Kickstarter blurb that Sticky Dilly Buns is returning. It was tucked away in the rest of the announcement.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I'm not sure that many folks are shipping Gary/Zii (I know I'm not ) but the creative team certainly seems to be. At least it's a more palatable ending than Gary/Zii/Didi...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

DarkAsh wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:27 pm
Yuki and Matt, no one wants to see you get it on.
That just makes me think of Dabbler’s recent comments regarding Hiro and Maxima.
Rosa wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:03 am
Oh dear, Matt and Yuki have turned into the Joker and Harley of Ma3.
They have just turned into James and Tracy.
Wuh? They’re almost the opposite of James and Tracy. They’re quite dangerously good at communicating their shared desires, and hence are developing into a worryingly strong bond, but are at least now liable to stay out of other people’s hair. James and Tracy are pathetically bad at communicating properly, and hence have failed to bond properly so far, making them a minor nuisance to Gary.
lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm
What if Matt and Yuki are right?
Then they’d be in a stopped-clock situation, and Peggy would have been uncharacteristically inept at communicating sensibly.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:13 pm
If his inability to pursue Zii is blocked (by both ethics and Didi), it sounds like it is going to be either a lonely night for Gary at home or date night. Why not go out and introduce himself to the scene?
Well, after all the insanity he’s been confronted with in the last twelve hours, he might just decide to have a quiet night in. Even Ma3 characters don’t have to get laid every night, and it’s not like Gary is desperate any more. He probably has some Playstation releases to catch up on.

Plus, while Gary is a lot more poised and confident these days, and can handle conversations with the women he knows pretty well, he’s still a geek, with a geek’s range of conversational references. And the one time we did see him try to act cool in a singles bar, he was a complete and utter train wreck, and greater confidence doesn’t automatically grant strong social skills. He’s unlikely ever to become a cool player type — he’s now just a pleasant guy who can get on fine with women he happens to interact with naturally.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Agreed on catching up with game releases and other geekerie. Also agreed he doesn't have to get laid every night. In a way the absence of sex - this time by choice rather than being shunned - might help Gary clarify his romantic goals. Go pet Lita, Gary.

I still want Gary to go to where the nerdy/geeky women are in Ma3 Montreal. They apparently exist... off panel or at Ruby's Yaoi club. I'd really love for some female & Gary to get into a geek-fueled Transformers discussion. Not sexy enough for the HBO part of this rom-com? I thought that my wishes were coming true when he met Tracy; but, Tracy has way too much baggage to be worth chasing for Gary. Or, what if Roxie is a closet otaku and is too 'ashamed' of what others would think of her other pastimes (hence overplaying her brusqueness)? Where did that princess costume come from, after all? If nerds have nerd-radar (ala gay-dar), it would be interesting to see. But I'd simply settle for Gary finding a rare nerdette or fem-geek.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm
A thought...

What if Matt and Yuki are right?
Peggy is a big girl, she can handle herself and is not in need of a White Knight. That, however, is just my opinion.

Then again, IF Peggy were really in need of assistance from Gary, she would have taken the initiative and mentioned the dinner (and what help was required) to Gary directly, rather than waiting for Gary to phone her in the middle of the day on the spur of the moment with a last minute decision to ask her to dinner.

So, no, they aren't right.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:12 pm
Where did that princess costume come from, after all?
Brandy. This is known.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm
Rosa wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:03 am
Oh dear, Matt and Yuki have turned into the Joker and Harley of Ma3.
They have just turned into James and Tracy.
Wuh? They’re almost the opposite of James and Tracy.
They offered Gary a threesome, then switched to twosomes, then to have Gary watch them for extra turn-on. Like, they want Gary into their sex games any how any way. Except some details are a no-no: "I don't want Gary to swirly you!" takes the place of "I don't want you to blow Gary!"

James and Tracy. *smile*
worldshaking00 wrote:
The absence of sex [with Peggy and Yuki] might help Gary clarify his romantic goals. Go pet Lita, Gary.
I know that you mean he should go pet the cat because it's a relaxing activity that will help him clear his mind to think about the women in his life.

But when you word it like that ("his romantic goals. Go pet Lita") do you realize how easy it would be to misconstrue your meaning? ;))

Double post merged. The DAMNed
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:58 pm
worldshaking00 wrote:
Where did that princess costume come from, after all?
Brandy. This is known.
Thanks. I totally spaced that one. I remember now even commenting on the Utena-esqueness of that panel! Still, we don't know the owner of the costuming. I suppose they just rented them, or bought some from a costuming store in order for Brandy to help Roxie out of her shell. Brandy could have owned them. But Roxie just as easily could have owned them and liked to play dress up but in privacy. One would assume that Brandi & Roxie in the linked strip were actually out in public, hence having an audience to actually "have to look tough" in front of. It's probably my fanwank hoping that the tough chick is actually a closet geek anyhow. But since Gary & Roxie have yet to meet up nor have we really gotten a close look at Roxie's personal life outside of wrestling, fitness training, and sex with Brandy, one would assume she is something a little more... maybe? Conspiracy, simple omission, or irrelevant exposition for a secondary late-to-the-strip character... whatever. I'll go back in my corner.

Yeah, @Rosa, my commentary does sound a little awkward. However that may be, the symbolism of Lita being Zii's spiritual guide (and by my theory, Lita basically showed Zii whom she should have shacked up with way back in Volume 1) isn't lost by having Gary go pet her. Lita has the right idea anyway. Poor girl needs some attention.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Heh. Utena-esqueness. Good one. :-bd

I was about to ask you a question like "Oh? You know Utena? Could it be you are into anime?" or something along the lines...

Then I noticed the animation in your avatar and realized where your username comes from. #-o I guess I'm a bit slow noticing some things. Teehee. :p
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

It's OK. Most of us don't have eidetic memories and we also fail making a Perception d20 roll* now and then.

*DND reference

brasca

Post by brasca »

EvilSnack wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:19 pm
The only way he would be going into Le Filet is if it's on the way home, and he glances in the window and sees that Peggy is sitting alone. Or is with Gary's creepy boss.
The only way I can see that happening is if Yvan happens to be related to her like maybe... her father! :((

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Wow... Gary is finally becoming the kind of protagonist I like to see, it seeems; functional brain, functional backbone, ability to say no, and a well-honed fight-or-flight instinct. :D

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

brasca wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 am
EvilSnack wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:19 pm
The only way he would be going into Le Filet is if it's on the way home, and he glances in the window and sees that Peggy is sitting alone. Or is with Gary's creepy boss.
The only way I can see that happening is if Yvan happens to be related to her like maybe... her father! :((

You've terrified me. :-s

You must be really good telling scary stories by a campfire at night...
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Don't do it Gary, go home and play with the cat.

Because if Gary knows /anything/ about Peggy, it's that she doesn't do subtle or passive. Nurses typically don't in general, but Peggy's extra take charge and aggressive about it. If she needed a rescue she'd either handle it herself or plan for cavalry earlier in the day.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:35 am
Well, in spite of how doomed the relationship will inevitably be, it appears as thought the Yuki/Matt pairing is set? Though, I suspect and hope that Kiley will return from the ethos, and Yuki will realise two things - she is, in essence, *betraying* a friend, even if it was unwittingly, and secondly, that Matt is a self-absorbed egotist as bad as Zii or worse, thus isn't worth having affection for or being with.
Yuki wouldn't be betraying anyone. Kiley broke up with Matt, remember? He's free game. If Kiley got upset about anything it would be that Matt has made far more progress with Yuki than Kiley ever had.

As far as the relationship goes, Matt already said he hasn't had the urge to cheat since he started seeing Yuki; largely due to the fact that none of his previous lovers have been as rough with him as Yuki has (whether he says this because he likes a rough woman or he lives in fear of what she'd do to him if he dared to cheat on her is another story). Either way, he's been faithful to Yuki since the moment they hooked up.

Besides,as far as terrible choices in lovers go, Yuki is hardly a prime choice, either - given her excessive clinginess/possessiveness of those she's dating. Hell, it's the entire reason why Zii broke up with her, in the first place.

Oh, I realise Yuki isn't a prime choice either; and her mental instability is another reason I don't like the relationship. She needs to, for lack of a better term, grow up more before finding a supposedly lasting romantic relationship.

Also, the reason I put the "*betraying*" with the asterisks was to infer it wasn't a literal or extreme example, but rather being with someone that was previously close to a friend isn't exactly ethical... In that, Kiley broke up with Matt on very bad terms and has not (at least been shown) to have made amends or gotten over it, however, Yuki (who considered Kiley a friend at best, or fond acquaintance at least) is dating that same man who so carelessly wounded her heart, thus is a betrayal of sorts.