Menage a 3 Volume 9 Kickstarter discussion

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

Menage a 3 Volume 9 Kickstarter discussion

Post by Giz »

Hey everyone,
Our Kickstarter for volume 9 is up. If you have any question, feel free to ask here or at the kickstarter campaign. :)

http://kck.st/2H6a9cb

URL wasn't working as linked, at least for me. Fixed. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Re: Menage a 3 Volume 9 Kickstarter discussion

Post by Spidrift »

Backed!

(Must remember to say that the extra $7 is for a PDF copy, when the questionnaire comes round,,,)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Thank you, Spidrift! :)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I wasn’t even the first, by a long way. Looks like a good start.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Ditto. Just went for the physical print. I like reading the stories before bed so I end the day on a high note and have good dreams.

I've been tempted to get the PDFs so I can admire the fine art work, plus it's a shame some of art gets lost near the binding.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Less than a thousand CA$ to go, after one day. Looking unproblematic.
---------
Spidrift

dmra

Post by dmra »

450 + backers too. So either there are an awful lot of lurkers here or visiting the forum is very much a minority interest.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

A little bit from column ‘A’ and a lot from column ‘B’ I’d suspect. It took me a while before even noticing the forums.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Basic goal reached. Is good!

Edit: That’s currently $20,000+ raised — by just under 500 supporters. Which does indeed mean, on the one hand, that the comic has a lot more fans than us rambling loudmouths on the boards. Cool. On the other hand, it means that supporters have been spending over $40 each on average. That’s a bit interesting, because it shows that a lot of people are buying more than just a copy of the new book. Indeed, looking at the details on the Kickstarter site, we have a fair few people buying complete runs of the comic’s past. Which hints to me that Ma3 is still picking up new fans, even at this late date.

It also makes me think that there’s a kernel of people who are prepared to drop significant cash on the title. Which in turn makes me think that it’s a shame that G&D have never got into Patreon yet — but c’est la vie.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Grats on the basic funding goal G&D! My pledge is in. However there was talk of a deck of playing cards as an add-on (which I would most definitely snatch up). Is that for the future (like Kickstarter V10?) or later for this campaign when you BLOW past these stretch goals?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Yes, the deck of cards is a stretch goal idea. Not sure exactly where I'll fit it in. Could be sooner than later.

And thanks for pledging! :)

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 pm
Basic goal reached. Is good!

Edit: That’s currently $20,000+ raised — by just under 500 supporters. Which does indeed mean, on the one hand, that the comic has a lot more fans than us rambling loudmouths on the boards. Cool. On the other hand, it means that supporters have been spending over $40 each on average. That’s a bit interesting, because it shows that a lot of people are buying more than just a copy of the new book. Indeed, looking at the details on the Kickstarter site, we have a fair few people buying complete runs of the comic’s past. Which hints to me that Ma3 is still picking up new fans, even at this late date.

It also makes me think that there’s a kernel of people who are prepared to drop significant cash on the title. Which in turn makes me think that it’s a shame that G&D have never got into Patreon yet — but c’est la vie.
Agreed!

Though, I thought prior Kickstarter success for the series was indication enough that there are many more fans that see the forum stuff as what it is - an option.
Granted, I haven't kept track of the previous crowdfunding rates, so maybe it is faster this time?
There could also be the more devoted collectors that like to have multiples of books, merchandise, etc.. However, I don't doubt the comic does pick up new fans each year; basically a new generation has grown up since the web comic's debut, so more potential readers.

As for the Patreon. I don't know G&D's stance on it, but the key word for now is "yet." :)

Glad to support. :)

Double post merged. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 am
Though, I thought prior Kickstarter success for the series was indication enough that there are many more fans that see the forum stuff as what it is - an option.
Oh yeah. Honestly, one should never mistake the small number of people who argue about any subject on a given online board as representative of the mass of fans, which is pretty well always much larger. Heck, there are a couple of webcomics which I myself follow and love avidly, but of which I've never got involved in any significant discussions.
Granted, I haven't kept track of the previous crowdfunding rates, so maybe it is faster this time?
I honestly can't remember. I certainly don't recall any previous Ma3 Kickstarters being at all worryingly slow, though. There are probably too many variables for meaningful comparison, anyway.
There could also be the more devoted collectors that like to have multiples of books, merchandise, etc.. However, I don't doubt the comic does pick up new fans each year; basically a new generation has grown up since the web comic's debut, so more potential readers.
I always think of "generations" as 20-30 years, but I guess that Internet generations are shorter...
---------
Spidrift

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

An actual generation, from parent to child would be 20-30 years, but in that time the student body of a school has totally changed three times. I guess internet generations are more like a school than a family.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:04 am

I always think of "generations" as 20-30 years, but I guess that Internet generations are shorter...
I agree, and yes, I did intend the meaning of Internet generations being "shorter," at least in regards to the speed in which the generations pass.