07-04-18 That is nuts

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 07-04-18 That is nuts

Post by Spidrift »

Nothing involving a Casablanca reference could ever be entirely bad.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

You've obviously never heard me impersonating Humphrey Bogart.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 pm
He’s a very successful manga artist, some of whose stuff has been adapted for movies, on which he also worked. I don’t know how rich that can make anyone realistically, but he’s evidently doing well. Given that Yuki doesn’t seem to have a job, there are suspicions that he’s bankrolling her.
.....I never really realized that Yuki didn't.
I assumed that she worked off panel, like everyone else. Are we sure she doesn't have some sort of job?
I have no doubt of the idea that her dad could be bankrolling her and then Matt also is likely paying for most of the food expenses since they're often at his house.

Actually its been soooo long since the early stuff.... Is Yuki an exchange student or did she just up and move to Canada? I can't remember.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

"Most women ARE nuts, Gary! They can't all be as sane as me!"

There is so much wrong and so much right going on in this statement.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Rosa wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:53 pm
Let's hope so.
If he actually crashes into the place, disturbs the peace and quiet of the restaurant and ends up challenging some guy to win Peggy's favor, I think we'll have to start referencing "Terrible Tourist" all over again. *smile*

... You know what? You're absolutely right, let's hope it doesn't come to anything even remotely like this. Ma3 characters should not behave like CB's ducks. [-X
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Zellgato wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:28 am
Spidrift wrote:
He’s a very successful manga artist, some of whose stuff has been adapted for movies, on which he also worked. I don’t know how rich that can make anyone realistically, but he’s evidently doing well. Given that Yuki doesn’t seem to have a job, there are suspicions that he’s bankrolling her.
I assumed that she worked off panel, like everyone else. Are we sure she doesn't have some sort of job?
I have no doubt of the idea that her dad could be bankrolling her and then Matt also is likely paying for most of the food expenses since they're often at his house.

Actually its been soooo long since the early stuff.... Is Yuki an exchange student or did she just up and move to Canada? I can't remember.
She's in a band, at least. No idea about the other stuff. Maybe Angel is doing well.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Vitocap wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:17 am
Rosa wrote:
Let's hope so.
If he actually crashes into the place, disturbs the peace and quiet of the restaurant and ends up challenging some guy to win Peggy's favor, I think we'll have to start referencing "Terrible Tourist" all over again. *smile*

... You know what? You're absolutely right, let's hope it doesn't come to anything even remotely like this. Ma3 characters should not behave like CB's ducks. [-X
Where did you find that image? I know it's from the "Terrible Tourist", but the dialogue doesn't match any USA publication and the art appears to be altered. The bottle of glue he's holding in his right hand has been removed. Matt needs his lips sealed after giving such bad advice.

Agreed. If the MA3 characters over reacted like most CB's ducks, then there would be constant drama. Oh, wait...!

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Zellgato wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 pm
I am.. a tad confused.. how Yuki's dad has that much money? Wasn't he like a mangaka/hentai artists? I forget though. He has enough to just toss double tickets? That is at least 7k
Well, Gary quotes him like the "Tentacle King", so if i have to guess he is royalty in the hentai scene, kind of like Akira Toriyama is in the shōnen scene or Naoko Takeuchi is in the shōjo scene...

Takeuchi-san's net worth is like more than $25 million and Toriyama-san's is around $50 million, so if Yuki's dad is half as rich as them, he is doing really well...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zellgato wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:28 am

Yuki’s employment position has never been made explicit. But pretty much every other character gets at least passing references to their day job, whereas Yuki never has. Given her personality and psychological issues, she might have trouble holding down a job. And yet she’s had an apartment of her own since before the comic began, she doesn’t seem to starve, and she’s been known to fly back to Japan on a whim. That looks awfully like a trust fund brat to me — especially if her daddy could indeed be a multimillionaire.

(I seem to recall that when someone asked one time, Giz said the comic might touch on Yuki’s employment position eventually — but it never has.)

Her mother and her family live in Canada, having “moved back” there after the divorce, which suggests that she’s Japanese-Canadian, giving Yuki dual citizenship and reason to live in Canada herself.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

DarkAsh wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 am
Vitocap wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:17 am
Rosa wrote:
Let's hope so.

Where did you find that image? I know it's from the "Terrible Tourist", but the dialogue doesn't match any USA publication and the art appears to be altered. The bottle of glue he's holding in his right hand has been removed. Matt needs his lips sealed after giving such bad advice.

Agreed. If the MA3 characters over reacted like most CB's ducks, then there would be constant drama. Oh, wait...!
It's from "Terrible Tourist" with a little touch of Photoshop work.

The line "I never thought Conchita could drive a swain so loco!" is from page 6, panel 7 -- the scene where the D. C. is drawing his bow to shoot at Donald. (Obviously, for the sake of the joke, I swapped Conchita for Peggy.)

The image is, as you guessed, from page 7, panel 3: the scene where the D. C. is taking the bottle of glue from the shelf. His line in this scene is "I must forget that this pest is a tourist and treat him as a mortal enemy!" which I replaced with the other line to achieve the effect I desired.

I also removed the bottle of glue since it didn't seem to fit into the current Ma3 situation... though, now that I think about it, I might have been a bit too hasty. There are, indeed, a number of characters in Ma3 who could use a good gluing in their big mouths -- especially those who try to pressure poor Gary into doing things he doesn't want to do...
Last edited by Vitocap on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Don't do it, Gary. You've found your spine and stood by it; now stand by your brain and common sense.

HappyFriar

Post by HappyFriar »

Oh God, no. Gary, no, just... No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

... this video shows the feelings of the forum community on this matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyqPISdEFc

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

@Vitocap, masterfully done. It almost had me fooled.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

HappyFriar wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:57 pm
Oh God, no. Gary, no, just... No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.
That’s a No, then?
---------
Spidrift