Re: 05-04-18 Rough me up

Post by Valkog »

I totally called it.
**== **== **== **==

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Bummer~

I guess our Japanese linguists overanalysed Yuki's words, as she apparently was sincere with a variant usually reserved for food and such? (It might sound snarky, but I'm not trying to be - I was impressed with the dissection of any foreign language, let alone one normally not written with a similar alphabet to English).

Whether intentional or not, Gary has evidently set Yuki's mind onto dating Matt, rather than simply using him as a not-so-glorified sex toy. I don't ship Gary/Yuki, however, her ending up with Matt (or really, anyone ending up with Matt) is one of the worst case scenarios - excluding some of the scenarios that have already happened. Aha.

Regardless of my dislike of the trajectory what seems to be set up here, I must give kudos for Yuki looking cuter than just about any other time she has been super, well, kawaii desu. Heh

*Edit* As much as I despise Matt, at least he is acknowledging his failure to be faithful... Nevertheless, acknowledgement is one thing, while actually changing himself is another. He doesn't seem to admit his lascivious ways have changed because of actual love, but rather Yuki is so hardcore that he burns out his libido; it seems like inevitable outcomes would be Yuki would eventually become accustomed to men, so her extreme reactions would ease far back, or he would gain a tolerance for the *abuse* to the point that it no longer satisfies him, thus both eventualities would lead Matt to be an adulterous scumbag yet again.
Last edited by OllieOrOlly on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Gary's smile in the last panel: "Yes, now I'm off the hook and she's happy with another who really deserves her..." XD

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

Hmm....strange but I can't see this as going anywhere but downhill.

That once Yuki's phallophobia has calmed down to the point where she can handle a penis normally, Matt will have the urge to cheat again because there's no threat or risk for him to get off on..

Or that Yuki will wind up acting on her lingering feelings for Gary(I've said it before and I'll say it again, people who like Gary for who is is don't just get over him) and Matt will learn what it is to be cheated on.

So much potential here...but almost all of it is bad for them both
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Now I think it's safe to say that the GarYuki ship has sunk. And lmao at what Yuki's dad says on the phone. I think Gary dodged a bullet regarding batshit crazy Yuki and her batshit crazy dad.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

TheEighth wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

That once Yuki's phallophobia has calmed down to the point where she can handle a penis normally, Matt will have the urge to cheat again because there's no threat or risk for him to get off on..
Let's not forget that Yuki is a very jealous lover. Remember how she reacted when she saw Sonya fooling around with Gary, or how she reacted when Gary - in a moment of duress as the girls proceeded to hate f*ck on him - mentioned he regretted never making a play for Zii, which sent Yuki into a whole new rage?

So, yeah - even if the threat of Yuki tearing off his junk becomes a thing of the past - Matt would still have to worry about Yuki losing her sh*t if he so much as looks at another person while they're an item.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Nah. I’m sure they will work out fine.

There aren’t enough strips left for a conflict.

God, could we be rushing this any more? We learned about these two characters *falling in love* in the space of three panels. It is starting to feel like Dave just can’t wait to pull the ripcord.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

See, over-hasty writing aside, there are lines here that we should have had before Gary's big speech last strip. Matt saying that he's had no urge to cheat on Yuki since he took up with her (despite the fact that neither of them could really have called it cheating) is a big thing by Matt standards, and little details like the toothbrush, and Yuki snagging half of Matt's (doubtless huge) walk-in wardrobe, do at least look like working symbols of this being a serious, sustainable relationship. But we're getting them a week late. Sloppy writing. Oh well.

And yep, this relationship doesn't have time to go wrong. Could it really last? Or is this just Matt getting addicted to one brand of violence, and Yuki fixating on someone who's nice to her (again)? Who the flick cares? The comic will be over before that becomes important.

And, for the people who hate Matt (and gods, does he inspire rage -- I have to assume that quite a few readers have been screwed over by clever, good-looking bastards in real life), well, look at this strip, point, and mock, and enjoy it, people. He's getting the crazy firmly clamped and superglued to his person. The comic is apparently going to end with Yuki better, but not right (and still with her horrible father as a bonus extra), and that makes her ideal as Matt's personal Purgatorio. If you think he needs one.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am
I guess our Japanese linguists overanalysed Yuki's words, as she apparently was sincere with a variant usually reserved for food and such?
I didn't like to say anything, because I really know next to zero about this stuff, but honestly, even if some of the people posting about that line have a perfect understanding of Japanese language and culture, do we have any proof that Giz and Dave know as much? No offence to them, I like their stuff and they clearly know more than me, but I've never taken Yuki and her dialogue as a subtle and precise depiction of linguistic and cultural subtleties. I think that it may be possible to read her Japanese lines a little too hard.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Yuki seems open to threesomes, including Matt and another guy. It’s not cheating if it’s consensual, and variety could keep the relationship spicy even if the phallophobia gets fully cured.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 am
God, could we be rushing this any more? We learned about these two characters *falling in love* in the space of three panels. It is starting to feel like Dave just can’t wait to pull the ripcord.
I'm thinking the creators are rushing this plot thread to the end so they can get back to the wrestling plot which should have been it's own spinoff in the first place. I'm thinking we'll get a few more strips of this arc wrapping up then it will be right back to the wrestling. Then the last few strips of the comic will be Gary hooking up with Zii after her relationship with Didi fails.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am
Bummer~

I guess our Japanese linguists overanalysed Yuki's words, as she apparently was sincere with a variant usually reserved for food and such? (It might sound snarky, but I'm not trying to be - I was impressed with the dissection of any foreign language, let alone one normally not written with a similar alphabet to English).
Hold on there bucko!

Japanese people DO use "Suki/すき" to mean "I love you/I really really like you!". Watch a lot of media from Japan (and I don't mean just anime/manga!) and that's what you will see. "SUKIDESU!!!" being yelled out and everyone reacting as if they said "I love you"...because in that culture, that's what it means. To say you like someone in Japan using "suki" is not a thing if you dont mean romantically. IF it's not meant to be romantic, they're going to say something else like "youre an interesting person" or "youre cool".

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

I cannot think of two people who deserve each other more than Matt and Yuki. Gary's finally off the hook with the crazy, finally free to pursue either Zii or Peggy (personally I think Peggy's better for him, but is he better for her?)
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

... Alright, then.
Okay. Yuki gets someone too freaky to freak out at her quirks.
Matt gets someone whose capacity for violence suppresses his urge to tomcat around.
Okay. Sure. Why not. Maybe in a few years they'll be something like a stable couple, and people have hooked up for worse reasons in this comic. ^^;

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

I don't like this couple.

That said, why is everyone talking about this being a wrapup? Either I fudged up the math, or we're barely halfway thru this volume. Lots can go wrong, or right.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle