05-04-18 Rough me up

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Error of Logic

Re: 05-04-18 Rough me up

Post by Error of Logic »

Why would he need an Amber replacement? Aren't they still roomies?

dmra

Post by dmra »

Because now she's got a steady boyfriend she won't have as much time for him. Whereas no matter where, no matter when so long as there's the chance for drama he could always rely on Sonya to be there for him.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Dillon hasn’t entirely lost Amber — she’s just been a little preoccupied as of the last published SDB strips — and he’s already added an extra fagha... umm, female friend in Ruby, who’s frankly a much better friend to him than Amber ever was, in that she’s relatively grounded and doesn’t enable the worst of his bullshit.

And Sonya, aside from the fact that she’s regularly hanging out with Dillon’s arch-enemy, has shown a gift for generating her own drama as required. Honestly, that’s a better ending for her story in this comic than finding someone else to enable her bad habits; fully developing some self-reliance to go with her new-found strength of personality.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I was just thinking in terms of what you were saying earlier about the creators possibly feeling the need to pair everybody up. Since Dillon was always a favourite of Giz's I couldn't see him being left on his own and Sonya seemed the most suitable character for him.

Obviously in real life it would be a horrible coupling that would bring out the worst in both of them but in comic form I can see it qualifying as a "happy ending".

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I’m not sure that the creators will compulsively pair everyone up — though sure, there’ll be some couples. It’s simple-minded readers who think in those terms. Other comics which Giz or TCampbell have worked on have ended with some of their characters setting out bravely alone into new sunlit worlds, and I very much hope we’ll see some of that here.

As to Dillon — yes, he’ll probably end up paired off, but the bloody obvious match there is Jerzy.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Except we'd probably need quite a few SDB strips to get Dillon and Jerzy together and it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Having said that, now he has his own comic - albeit a fairly moribund looking one at the moment - it's entirely possible that his MA3 fate may not even be addressed.

In which case as there's no obvious figure to pair off with Sonya you're likely to get your "wish" and she's likely to be seen going her own way somehow.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:40 am

They’ve been in the same room briefly, but I don’t think they’ve ever really interacted.

this made me re read some past stuff..
and yeah.
I REALLY MISS Kiley~

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

dmra wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 pm
Except we'd probably need quite a few SDB strips to get Dillon and Jerzy together and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Wuh?

When last seen, Dillon was in bed with Jerzy, and Jerzy’s supposed current romantic partner, Angel, was being blindingly obviously tempted by Richie (a much healthier-looking prospect than the mass of denial and confused childhood friendship that is Angel+Jerzy). Minimum time required to pair up Dillon with Jerzy; a couple of strips. Heck, it’d take less writing effort than keeping Jerzy and Angel together.
---------
Spidrift

dmra

Post by dmra »

Except you'd have to disentangle Angel from Jerzy which, given the obsession previously shown - would be somewhat implausible, Angel was tempted by Richie sure but would that really be enough to convincingly persuade her to end years of pursuit of her one true love - or at least in just a couple of strips.

An "I have real feelings for Richie so I'm willing to forget my feelings for you" deus ex machina really wouldn't seem that satisfactory to me.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Jerzy has peeled Angel off, temporarily, before. The trick is getting Angel to acknowledge that Jerzy isn’t some kind of predestined True Love... Okay, doing it in two strips flat would be a stretch, but it was pretty clearly the way the comic was going at the last count; Angel’s attitude rowards Richie looked like genuine affection to me.

Bonus points if Ruby learns the full background and ends up doing another Kiley-style ad hoc apply-dose-of-reality job on Angel.
---------
Spidrift

dmra

Post by dmra »

I liked the Angel that "liked" Richie so I'd be more than happy to see them together. And I think that would be a good way to get Jerzy out of their relationship without too much drama. But to do it convincingly would take time that it doesn't seem Giz has for the strip.

I'm not entirely sure that it would be that happy an ending for Dillon though. Jerzy hasn't exactly been a "nice" character in the past and I can't see much evidence for him changing any time soon. Dillon may not have too much of an interest in fidelity when he's not in the relationship but he seems to get hurt pretty easily when he's the one being cheated on and Jerzy has plenty of previous when it comes to that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

1. As the last couple of Ma3 strips have surely shown, Giz is perfectly willing to rush through plot developments at an ungodly rate in order to get stuff wrapped up. An Angel-Richie pairing would at least have been somewhat prefigured.

2. Jerzy seems like a nice enough guy to me. He didn’t cheat on Angel with Zii; it was only Angel believed they were in a relationship in the first place, because Angel is nuts. He’s just cheated on Angel with Dillon, but in Ma3 universe terms, that just shows that he and Dillon have an overwhelming attraction. He’s actually been written as a distinctly nice person the rest of the time; his only significant flaw seems to be a Sonya-level state of silly denial about his precise sexuality (and a tendency to treat Dillon’s drama-queen antics as “cute”).
---------
Spidrift

dmra

Post by dmra »

1) Well if he didn't think Dillon's behaviour was "cute" they'd hardly make very good partners so I'd chalk that one up to Giz liking her character more than some of her readers.

2) I could be wrong - and have an insistent cat wanting to be fed so don't have time to check - but didn't Zii admit to Angel that she had cheated with Jerzy albeit unintentionally?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The fact that Zii banged Jerzy has never been in dispute. At the time Zii claimed that she didn’t even think that Angel was into guys. Yes, she could have been bullshitting there — but she was a little distracted to be improvising lies at the time. Anyway, Zii still seems to be maintaining the same story these days — that she had no idea that Angel saw Jerzy as Angel’s boyfriend. And why should she lie about that nowadays?
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Well, there is the whole sitcom arch nemesis dealio they've got going.
That, and Suzi's rather sizeable pride, which might get in the way even now of her admitting she was wrong.