05-04-18 Rough me up

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

dmra

Re: 05-04-18 Rough me up

Post by dmra »

@Spidrift I'm not saying that Zii did anything wrong which is why I said she "cheated" unintentionally.

But all that comic shows is that Zii didn't think before it happened that Jerzy and Angel were an item. Which rather implies that she thought they were after the two of them got "caught".

And Zii is still saying that she thought Angel and Jerzy were an item. You'd think Jerzy might have said something to Zii at the time or since if he and Angel weren't going out - if nothing else to make her feel less bad about losing a close friend over it. If Zii knew she'd have no reason not to just say "but you weren't even officially dating!"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Error of Logic wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Well, there is the whole sitcom arch nemesis dealio they've got going.
That, and Suzi's rather sizeable pride, which might get in the way even now of her admitting she was wrong.
Like I said before, she was in no fit state to improvise lies when the issue first arose. And for all her faults, I think she tends to be fairly truthful. I think she’d be more likely to rub it in that she’d successfully seduced Jerzy away from Angel than try to make herself look like an innocent.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

But that's the point. I'm not saying Zii is trying to lie now or that she did anything wrong because she didn't know Jerzy and Angel were apparently a couple. But she isn't saying "you were never going out" she's saying "I didn't know you had a boyfriend".

Like you say if anything Zii has the motivation to wind up Angel and what would do that better, her saying "I didn't know he was your boyfriend" or "but he wasn't your boyfriend in the first place!"?

For once Zii isn't to blame for anything but that doesn't get Jerzy off the hook. Either he was going out with Angel in which case he definitely cheated or he let's Zii believe he was which is a pretty poor way to treat a friend.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

dmra wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 pm
@Spidrift I'm not saying that Zii did anything wrong which is why I said she "cheated" unintentionally.

But all that comic shows is that Zii didn't think before it happened that Jerzy and Angel were an item. Which rather implies that she thought they were after the two of them got "caught".

And Zii is still saying that she thought Angel and Jerzy were an item. You'd think Jerzy might have said something to Zii at the time or since if he and Angel weren't going out - if nothing else to make her feel less bad about losing a close friend over it. If Zii knew she'd have no reason not to just say "but you weren't even officially dating!"
Zii admits that Angel claims to have been dating Jerzy. It’s easier than arguing that point. Jerzy’s opinion on the matter isn’t mentioned. Given that Jerzy kept claiming to be gay while fending Angel off, and that Zii didn’t have the impression that they were dating despite hanging out with Angel quite a bit — I’d assume that Jerzy didn’t see himself as Angel’s boyfriend, because they weren’t doing boyfriend-girlfriend stuff, and so he felt no particular need to say anything about this to Zii.

Then Angel found them together, and Jerzy discovered how Angel thought of him, and has since felt guilty about the ensuing mess.
dmra wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:45 pm
For once Zii isn't to blame for anything but that doesn't get Jerzy off the hook. Either he was going out with Angel in which case he definitely cheated or he let's Zii believe he was which is a pretty poor way to treat a friend.
Jerzy doesn’t seem to have seen much of Zii since the bust-up. He may not have had much chance to explain.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Do you think Jerzy has heard of the telephone?

To be honest from what we've seen of Jerzy he's somebody who acts on impulse and who will let people think what they want to think for the sake of an easy life. Despite declaring that he has no interest in Angel he turned round and started sleeping with her and now finds himself stuck in a(nother) relationship with her. In this case undeniably so.

Given how we've seen him behaving with Angel recently in the comic - being indecisive and letting her think things that aren't really true - it's not exactly unlikely that he was content for her to think they were dating earlier even if he wasn't committed to the "relationship".

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Jerzy initially seemed quite idealised, but he’s certainly shown some flaws the more we’ve seen of him. However, his biggest error seems to be putting up with Angel’s idiocy when a bit more cold reality would make things better for everyone in the long run. As for not phoning Zii to explain, though — well, that’s just typical of people in the Ma3 universe, isn’t it? Communication is for wimps. And to be fair, it’s not like Zii was really hurt by not knowing the fine details of that mess; the bust-up with Angel was clearly pretty irrevocable, thanks to Angel’s craziness, and Zii wasn’t beating herself up much for her possible mistakes. She was at most a little embarrassed.

(And note that if Angel discovers that Jerzy has even spoken to Zii, there’ll be tears before bedtime. Angel is that much of a control freak. Jerzy may feel that it’s safer not to risk that.)

Cynically, one might assume that Jerzy is a bit too much of a plot device, who mainly exists to be a lust object for Dillon and to catalyse the Zii-Angel bust-up. But I also read him — and this may be pure fanon, but I think it fits — as a very old friend to Angel. I think that they grew up together, maybe as the only two “weirdoes” in some small town somewhere. They gave each other mutual support, and when Angel became infatuated with Jerzy, he couldn’t find any way to cool things down without hurting a childhood friend more than he could bear.

But we digress from the subject of this strip. This discussion probably belongs on the SDB boards.
---------
Spidrift

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

Well, at least we now know “suki da yo” was used properly then.

This feels rushed and I would’ve liked to have seen this develop more for me to find it believable. Still, it’s the end of the comic and loose ends are being quickly tied up. I’m not a fan of that kind of writing but I understand where it is coming from. I don’t mind the pairing and it makes sense, just needed more time.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:06 am
I reckon that Kiley is really already happily married to science (or maybe to Science!). I mean, it’s an open relationship, she can get her rocks off on the side, but her final pairing will be that — her first pairing.

And honestly, we need to be careful about this “final pairing” fetish anyway. Some people don’t need a partner to complete them. Just for one, Sonya’s best ending would surely be recognising that she’s unlocked her true potential in her own right, and that she doesn’t particularly need a compatible long-term partner just now. Actually, it’s better if she doesn’t find one, as a true partner for her would probably be a reliable ally in her schemes of drama and chaos.
Perhaps, but she was happy with Matt and he did make her feel good about her self. I can't imagine the girl who was pining after Jimmy Castroni ever imagined sleeping with an underwear model on a routine basis. Matt has many faults, but at least he's not a slave to society's definition of beauty and that's one of the reasons I liked their coupling while it lasted.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, the Kiley-Matt thing clearly could have worked longer term if the writers had wanted to go that way. But they evidently decided that Matt needed to lose one thing he liked that much to teach him some kind of lesson. The problem was, they then went with the “Matt keeps shagging lots of people, he just feels a bit sad about it” joke, which made the idea that Matt was learning a lesson rather unconvincing to the readers.

And this comic is full of people screwing more fabulous-looking people than they have any right to expect — because the cast are all (a) gorgeous and (b) wildly promiscuous. It’s just that the only ones who are somewhat geeky enough to not feel sexually entitled and hence who notice this, a bit, rather than being spoiled rotten, are Kiley and Gary. But when all’s said and done, Kiley does seem to value Science! highest of all.

Mind you, Gary also seems to value his intellectual interests highest of all. Does he really even need Zii, when he’s got Optimus Prime?

And it’s true that Matt is admirably willing to show enthusiasm for someone whose gorgeousness is slightly non-standard by Ma3 standards, though it’s not like Kiley ever seems to have much trouble getting dates. But I’m not sure that she’d be considered that unconventionally good-looking by real world standards. It's just that most of the female cast are drawn on the rather narrow spectrum of conventional comic book good looks — hourglass figure and ’80s hair. Also, of course, Matt is in the fashion biz, which is notorious for valuing “thin” a little too much.
---------
Spidrift

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

TwoWayStar wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am
Bummer~

I guess our Japanese linguists overanalysed Yuki's words, as she apparently was sincere with a variant usually reserved for food and such? (It might sound snarky, but I'm not trying to be - I was impressed with the dissection of any foreign language, let alone one normally not written with a similar alphabet to English).
Hold on there bucko!

Japanese people DO use "Suki/すき" to mean "I love you/I really really like you!". Watch a lot of media from Japan (and I don't mean just anime/manga!) and that's what you will see. "SUKIDESU!!!" being yelled out and everyone reacting as if they said "I love you"...because in that culture, that's what it means. To say you like someone in Japan using "suki" is not a thing if you dont mean romantically. IF it's not meant to be romantic, they're going to say something else like "youre an interesting person" or "youre cool".

Okay. But perhaps you missed that I was referring to others, not saying I know what the expression means. If you're simply clarifying for others, then okay then, never mind.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

AND THE RAGE BURSTS FORTH!!! :ymdevil:

Here's a text the Matt-haters might appreciate...

[PART 1]
[Sweet Lavender]

Sense the purity of your own mind child
Such an innocence not yet caught by judging eyes
Don't touch me little seed 'cause I'll betray you
If you follow me you'll never see

Through a crack in the wall you watch the world
Nearly paralized by this glimpse of tomorrow
And a glimpse is all you'll get wherever you fly
Cause you'll go blind the moment you reach dawn

On your way you'll start wonder
Where the ocean meets the sand
On your way you'll feel that heaven's
Slipping slow through your hand

Sweet lavender
Can't remember
What it felt like
Running through the rye

[PART 2]
[Non-Electric Redemption]

In the heat of her breath
My life seems worthwhile
When she swallows my soul
I can hear the conch's hymn
And I can watch myself moaning, sweating, climbing,
Penetrating my prime with a smile

Fill my needs give me eternal redemption
Call my name with a sense of pride when I break through

She's the medium I need to find my way home
She's my intermediary to everlasting youth
But I can't find myself in the depths of her bliss
Is it me is it her or the world we're living in

Heal my wounds bring me eternal salvation
Call my name with a sense of pride don't wake me now

All I gained non-electric redemption
She is not what she used to be before I fell
Tell me why why she's crying beseeching
Call her name with a sense of pride as you go down

[PART 3]
[In These Rooms]

There's no purity left to save my soul
From his cavalcade and no strength to carry on
Don't touch me little seed 'cause I'll betray you
If you follow me you'll never see
There's a heaven in your hand child
There's a place I'm dying to hide you

Poor lavender cold but tender
Life could only teach you how to cry

In these rooms a plaintive whisper fills the air
On these walls I crucify my self to hail you right now
The time is ripe for change
The time is ripe for change
Pierce my body drink my tears and my blood
Come, be one with me
Though it's getting dark I can see the light
Though I'm getting weaker I still feel I'm alive

Show me the way
Follow me in
To heaven or hell
Truth our faint illusion
I need you
I need your eyes

- Soliloquy, by Conception, from the 1995 Album Parallel Minds
Rosa wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:28 pm
I don't know... I kinda like the idea of Melissa come visiting with her magic wand, turning Gary into a cute kitty and giving us a Gary/Lita OTP ending. :p
I can get behind that.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)