03-04-18 Act like a couple

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

LarsenSan

Re: 03-04-18 Act like a couple

Post by LarsenSan »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 am
First panel Gary is what we - well, I shouldn't assume - is what I have been wanting him to be like for ages; pardon the hyperbole, yet it brings a tear to one's eye to see our little Gary grown up. Heh heh
When I read that panel in my mind the Orgazmo song started playing: "NOW YOU ARE A MAN! A MANLY MANLY MAN!"

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

I think some of you are mistaking "a couple" for "the biggest love story ever" or something.

Gary is simply trying to point out the difference between fuck buddies and what he has before him. Fuck buddies just want a casual fuck from time to time, no strings attached. Being a couple involves feelings, caring about each other, getting along well enough to eventually start living together. Zii told Gary a few strips ago that he and Peggy looked like a couple, and gave him a number of reasons -- and Gary here has found that Matt and Yuki look that way, too. That's why he says: "You two do act like a couple." Not "are a couple," only "act like a couple." Whether they should become serious and give this couple thing a real try, well, that's open to debate. But they sure do look the part.

And, remember, people: "Suki da yo." Matt doesn't understand Japanese, but Gary does, a little -- especially this sort of simple sentences he's heard a thousand times in anime shows.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Gary saying "No" was pretty great though.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

"...what would it take to be a couple..." is the basis for this entire comic, bearing no malice or snarkiness in using your words @Antinerd. There are so many variables in real life coupling, but insert the facts that this is a fictional world where farce happens approximately every 4th panel and two minds (Giz and Dave) have predispositions on who will like who. AND Ma3 Montreal is very much more forgiving than the real world version, to allow for rampant crotch-kicking and other hijinks that have transpired in the comic to go unpunished. No risk of unwanted pregnancies. No STDs. No dark consequences aside from the inter-personal ones between characters. Hence, shipping and confusion and disbelief by the fanbase. There has to be a modicum of suspension of disbelief to allow for the creators' story & comedic zaniness.

Peggy & Gary talk about their sex and flaws, yet they aren't a couple (perhaps a little too painfully real for Gary's taste). Matt & Kiley were so wrapped up in their thera-fucking that they missed the fact that they were acting very much like a couple. Zii & Gary talk about sex & flaws all the time, yet haven't taken the leap despite us readers seeing their connection. Matt & Dillon were a couple until Matt cheated on him. Tracy & James were a couple - might still be if they can get their heads out of their asses long enough to come to grips with the other's ego/flaws. Sonya & Yuki were... something akin to a rival-fucking-couple until they realized they weren't "love" lovers. Didi & Zii are currently a couple, but they don't communicate (plus outside forces are conspiring to disrupt their already tenuous relationship).

Real life is strange enough. Make believe worlds can be even more bizarre. I'm just reading the strip, rooting for my favorites, watching where the players end up and enjoying (or being saddened) by where the story takes us. I'm still a romantic at heart, and I appreciate some old fashioned karmic justice being meted out. \M/
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Vvvader wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 am
And Spidrift, while I usually agree with you on almost all of your observations, don't you think that Matt just now in this last panel is yet again disqualifying himself as, ya know, boyfriend material?
Not really. I mean, aside from the fact that it’s a fourth-panel punchline, it’s just Matt realising that he’s steered into a situation he didn’t expect, and fallen for a girl who he didn’t think was his type — which is a classic moment for a romantic hero, even. And both he and Jung have called Yuki this or something like it before, without her being offended. She seems to be quite proud of her crotch-kicking.
samtheman wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am
It does seem they are rushing things to an end despite having 74 strips to go but how much of that is going to be the *shudder* wrestling arc?
Probably quite a lot. They do seem to enjoy writing that crud, even at the expense of more established characters. (No, I don’t consider DiDi to be an established character, because she doesn’t have a character.) But there’s also things like the promised SDB crossover strips, of course.

Talking of which, we can at least hope that they feed into the wrap-up plotlines in Ma3. I find myself imagining...

Ruby: You look worried, Zii.
Zii: Yeah... There’s this guy I want...
Ruby:That doesn’t sound like something you regard as a problem.
Zii: But he’s a total nerd! And I think of him like a kid brother!
Ruby: Oh, right. Yeah, problem. I can see that you’d never make a pass at someone you thought of as a nerd, or as a younger sibling.
Zii: I... I... Aaargh! [She leaves the room at the run.]
Ruby: What did I say?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

The fact that they're wrestling fans is well known and we've seen Gary wearing WWE shirts even before DiDi became a wrestler.

And some of us readers are also wrestling fans. But in any event, DiDi would have to eventually leave to be a fulltime wrestler.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

In tonight’s news:

If you live in Montreal, Gary has had enough of your shit.

Here’s hoping Matt and Yuki end up in a ménage a 3 with Jordan, just to bring things full circle.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I'm sorry, but Matt saying "Crotch-Kicking girl" reminded me of this Rina Takeda movie

That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

christopheftw wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:11 pm
In tonight’s news:

If you live in Montreal, Gary has had enough of your shit.
I'd be okay with this being the last panel of the comic.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

OK, first off, Yay Gary! Way to keep strenghtening that spine.
As for Yuki and Matt, I agree with most people that Yuki and Matt don't feel like a couple. But I also disagree with most people in that I think they have couple potential. To paraphrase Wade Wilson (aka Deadpool) his crazy matches her crazy. Keep in mind this is a sitcom strip.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:57 pm
Probably quite a lot. They do seem to enjoy writing that crud, even at the expense of more established characters. (No, I don’t consider DiDi to be an established character, because she doesn’t have a character.) But there’s also things like the promised SDB crossover strips, of course.
Yeah it would be nice if we got the SDB crossover strips soon but I'm not going to hold my breath. And what about Kiley's character arc? Is it going to be wrapped up in some way or are we going to be left hanging? I'm going to be upset if we never find out what happened to Kiley.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

I have absolutely no complaints about this strip. :)) I think that, contrary to what others have been saying that Matt and Yuki don't know enough about each other, well, they've been together long enough that Matt can quote statistics on how often Yuki tentacle-rages during sex. That doesn't happen in a week, or I'd guess even a month.

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Gary is just going to go around visiting people, resolving their relationship dilemnas, for the remainder of this strip. Then, he'll go home to Zii.

And find her banging Jung, her only close and best friend. =))

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:19 pm
Yeah it would be nice if we got the SDB crossover strips soon but I'm not going to hold my breath. And what about Kiley's character arc? Is it going to be wrapped up in some way or are we going to be left hanging? I'm going to be upset if we never find out what happened to Kiley.
Um... don't you think her arc has already been wrapped up?

That's how it looked to me, at least. She had ties to Gary, Yuki, Sonya, DiDi and Matt. She broke up with Gary, nice and clean. She broke up with DiDi ("I have become your crutch! We must never meet again!"). She broke up with Matt, in a truly spectacular way that is one of her most awesome moments in the comic. She gave therapy to Sonya and Yuki, which concluded (as far as she is concerned) when she decided that all their troubles would be solved if they admitted their mutual love. As it turned out, this conclusion was slightly off the mark -- but Kiley left nevertheless, and Sonya and Yuki never sought her out again.

It's just my opinion, of course, but this looks like a wrap-up to me. I like to think of Kiley as the lone stranger in a cowboy movie, who comes to town, turns everything upside down, fixes the main problems (Gary's virginity, DiDi's orgasmlessness), and then rides towards the horizon, never to return. :-??
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ophelianime wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:07 pm
OK, first off, Yay Gary! Way to keep strenghtening that spine.
Cursory examination of the art suggests that Gary is being drawn as standing a lot straighter than he used to. Honestly, I don’t think he’s benefitted from psychotherapy so much as from orthopaedics.
As for Yuki and Matt, I agree with most people that Yuki and Matt don't feel like a couple. But I also disagree with most people in that I think they have couple potential. To paraphrase Wade Wilson (aka Deadpool) his crazy matches her crazy. Keep in mind this is a sitcom strip.
I really wouldn’t argue with that very much. We should just have been shown a little more. The frustrating thing is, if we’d just had a couple of strips with those two acting like a couple, and Gary getting a chance to see it, this strip would have worked.
samtheman wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:19 pm
Yeah it would be nice if we got the SDB crossover strips soon but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Nor am I. At best, it’ll be a nice surprise when it does happen.
And what about Kiley's character arc? Is it going to be wrapped up in some way or are we going to be left hanging? I'm going to be upset if we never find out what happened to Kiley.
Honestly, I wouldn’t be that surprised if we never saw her again in this comic. She’s out and clear. She’s escaped from DiDi, she has no cause to talk to Matt again, and presumably she has some actual work to get on with sometime.

Mind you, I do like the idea that Ma3 is actually the comic strip of the pop-psych book that Kiley will write would day, with names changed to protect the guilty, to the despair of serious practitioners of her profession.
Continuity wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:35 pm
Then, he'll go home to Zii.

And find her banging Jung, her only close and best friend.
I wouldn’t bet on Zii if she has to throw down against an angry Ramona. And Ruby would be very disappointed with her for disrupting the club.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm
I really wouldn’t argue with that very much. We should just have been shown a little more. The frustrating thing is, if we’d just had a couple of strips with those two acting like a couple, and Gary getting a chance to see it, this strip would have worked.
Exactly, for me that was the problem with How I Met Your Mother's finale, I am cool with Ted asking Robin out again, but doing an entire season about Robin and Barney's wedding (and scenes with Ted and Tracy) only to break them off in the first half of the finale, we know that 3 years passed but we as viewers only saw seconds of trouble after an entire season putting those two together, and after that, we only get the last scene with the kids explaining that he and Robin are so obvious every time she comes to visit, for them, 6 years have passed since Tracy died and Ted may have started feeling things again for Robin in the last year before the story which is good, the problem is we didn't get even a hint of that happening, the only scene that may have put us at least asking the question was cut because of time constraints... And they wonder why so many people hated the finale.

Same thing here, two strips would've been enough for us to get convinced about them as a couple, instead this strip feels weird, even if we agree with them.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...