31-03-18 Let us try again

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Error of Logic

Re: 31-03-18 Let us try again

Post by Error of Logic »

Yuki is trying to improve herself. Matt? Ehhhh....

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

vampire hunter D wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 am
are there any functional brain cells in Montreal?

Two per any given group. Unfortunately, if they happen to be in different people at the time....
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

Of course, if the writers were to go for maximum funny, we could get this little exchange: Gary gives Yuki her things and tells her he thinks that they maybe can only work as friends. He goes his way and Yuki's heart gets broken for like the 3rd time. Matt being Matt is all chipper and ready for another round of sex and Yuki just turns and looks at him totally deadpan "We're done." Matt: So this time I was thin- what? Yuki: "We're done. There's no point anymore. Thanks for trying." Yuki gets to retain some dignity and maybe get some real help and Matt gets blasted by the realization that even the least stable character within the comic has absolutely ZERO use for him as a lover or a person. For the self admitted bastard of the comic, this would be a great way to stick it to his ego.
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:46 pm
By that same token, talking about going with the path of least resistance, the only reason Matt's even involved in this fiasco (beyond 'comedy') is that Sonya literally had to fuck him into exhaustion so he couldn't run away from Yuki.
Actually, he was still able to put up verbal resistance, and he just about persuaded Yuki to stand down. But then, her reactions made him feel sorry for her, and he changed his mind as an act of kindness.

Of course, he then found out that he rather enjoyed the process. Turned out that virtue brought its own rewards...
Yuki made it plain that she just wanted help to be with the guy she really loved and now the comic is just saying that she should settle for a sex freak because that's all a crazy like her can really hope for, just someone who can tolerate her. Not love, TOLERATE, which is just a form of settling, which as Spidrift said, one should NEVER do
Actually, Yuki fell for Gary because he was the only guy who showed understanding and patience toward her issues. But now, Matt is showing more understanding and patience toward her than Gary is. Therefore, Matt is a better subject for her affections...

Anyhow, sure, if they got together, it’d just be because they’re two people who can stand each other when nobody else can. (Fits. At one time, they were probably the two most fan-hated main characters in the comic.) That’s probably no basis for a lifetime romance (though who knows?). But it’s a basis for a decent happy ending for their secondary plot threads in a comic. As a Neil Gaiman character once observed, the secret of giving a happy ending is stopping the story at the right point.
Error of Logic wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:17 pm
Matt is what Matt is. He’s hardly the sort to go around trying to become a “better person.” (From his point of view, why should he? He’s pretty much the best-looking and smartest thing in the comic already. Which is one high bar and one very low one, admittedly.) What he can do is find a modus operandi that gives him what he wants with minimum damage to other people. Trading in compulsive sexual unreliability for sex with a dangerous maniac might just do that.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

MrsKytro

Post by MrsKytro »

I had to come to the forum to understand, and going back to the comic I still don't comprehend how anyone else connected those dots...

How did Yuki or Matt come to think Gary meant he wanted Matt from what was said, there?! :-?

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:56 pm
Of course, if the writers were to go for maximum funny, we could get this little exchange: Gary gives Yuki her things and tells her he thinks that they maybe can only work as friends. He goes his way and Yuki's heart gets broken for like the 3rd time. Matt being Matt is all chipper and ready for another round of sex and Yuki just turns and looks at him totally deadpan "We're done." Matt: So this time I was thin- what? Yuki: "We're done. There's no point anymore. Thanks for trying." Yuki gets to retain some dignity and maybe get some real help and Matt gets blasted by the realization that even the least stable character within the comic has absolutely ZERO use for him as a lover or a person. For the self admitted bastard of the comic, this would be a great way to stick it to his ego.
Wow. I like it! :D

Swiftwinged Doom

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:28 pm
Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:46 pm
By that same token, talking about going with the path of least resistance, the only reason Matt's even involved in this fiasco (beyond 'comedy') is that Sonya literally had to fuck him into exhaustion so he couldn't run away from Yuki.
Actually, he was still able to put up verbal resistance, and he just about persuaded Yuki to stand down. But then, her reactions made him feel sorry for her, and he changed his mind as an act of kindness.

Of course, he then found out that he rather enjoyed the process. Turned out that virtue brought its own rewards...
Yuki made it plain that she just wanted help to be with the guy she really loved and now the comic is just saying that she should settle for a sex freak because that's all a crazy like her can really hope for, just someone who can tolerate her. Not love, TOLERATE, which is just a form of settling, which as Spidrift said, one should NEVER do
Actually, Yuki fell for Gary because he was the only guy who showed understanding and patience toward her issues. But now, Matt is showing more understanding and patience toward her than Gary is. Therefore, Matt is a better subject for her affections...

Anyhow, sure, if they got together, it’d just be because they’re two people who can stand each other when nobody else can. (Fits. At one time, they were probably the two most fan-hated main characters in the comic.) That’s probably no basis for a lifetime romance (though who knows?). But it’s a basis for a decent happy ending for their secondary plot threads in a comic. As a Neil Gaiman character once observed, the secret of giving a happy ending is stopping the story at the right point.
Error of Logic wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:17 pm
Matt is what Matt is. He’s hardly the sort to go around trying to become a “better person.” (From his point of view, why should he? He’s pretty much the best-looking and smartest thing in the comic already. Which is one high bar and one very low one, admittedly.) What he can do is find a modus operandi that gives him what he wants with minimum damage to other people. Trading in compulsive sexual unreliability for sex with a dangerous maniac might just do that.
Matt doesn't really need to change and we know from over 10 years of following the comic, he's NEVER going to, but stopping Yuki's story here? That's like shipping off Belle to Gaston. The most insufferable man in the entire town gets everything he wants and never has to do ANYTHING to merit it. Gary was the one putting in all the legwork for Matt getting to indulge in his penchant for rough sex with none of the aggravation of dealing with what came before, when all he would have caught was a beating, while Gary is tossing aside everything he's strove for with her just when things are FINALLY at a tipping point where with a little more time and decent help, he and Yuki could be very happy together. It's incredibly frustrating and feels just plain WRONG for Yuki's personal arc. If the writers just want to shuffle her off to the side for the end game, so be it, but at least let her go out with her head held high and not as Matt's personal sex puppet. She's worked too hard for that. No knocking Gary's choices here, he has to be his own man, but Yuki can and SHOULD look for better, man or woman
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:52 pm
Matt doesn't really need to change and we know from over 10 years of following the comic, he's NEVER going to, but stopping Yuki's story here? That's like shipping off Belle to Gaston. The most insufferable man in the entire town gets everything he wants and never has to do ANYTHING to merit it.
Apart from, you know, helping a dangerous maniac moderate her tendency to commit serious assaults on random bystanders. At considerable risk to his own safety and physical integrity, even.

But sure, a somewhat insufferable character is probably going to end this comic in a pretty good place. (Several are, actually.) Welcome to gritty realism, Ma3 style. If you want a comic that’s going to enact your petulant revenge fantasies on its characters, you’ve come to the wrong place. And at least Matt isn’t being elected president or marrying Jerry Hall.
Gary was the one putting in all the legwork for Matt getting to indulge in his penchant for rough sex with none of the aggravation of dealing with what came before, when all he would have caught was a beating, while Gary is tossing aside everything he's strove for with her just when things are FINALLY at a tipping point where with a little more time and decent help, he and Yuki could be very happy together.
So Gary is entitled to Yuki because he worked on her, and thus should end up with her (even if he doesn’t actually want her)?
It's incredibly frustrating and feels just plain WRONG for Yuki's personal arc. If the writers just want to shuffle her off to the side for the end game, so be it, but at least let her go out with her head held high and not as Matt's personal sex puppet. She's worked too hard for that.
Looks like a pretty equal relationship to me. Nobody is anybody’s puppet. If anything, Yuki seems to set the agenda in their interactions.
No knocking Gary's choices here, he has to be his own man, but Yuki can and SHOULD look for better, man or woman
Better than the best-looking and smartest guy in the comic?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Swiftwinged Doom

Oh get off your high horse Spidrift. I never said Gary was entitled to anything. I said I was frustrated with the fact that now things are at a place they can finally work for Gary and Yuki, plot has decreed they must be over. Also, what is your hard on for marking Matt as the Saint Among Mortals who has now earned Yuki's love? This guy has ruined EVERY single relationship he's ever been in and for no reason other than his Lust or his ego, which has certainly earned him his disliked status. He had a great relationship with Kiley that he completely fucked over out of spite for Gary, but yeah, let's act like he's always been a fucking prince and is the only one worthy to 'tame' Yuki. Give me a break....

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

There seem to be a lot of high horses cantering around this paddock...

Matt doesn't "deserve" Yuki. Very few characters in this comic "deserve" anything good, and he's behaved slightly worse than the average. But if we all got what we deserved, the world would be a pretty horrible place. (I mean, even more so...) All I can say is that Matt and Yuki have been set up, quite competently, as a fairly plausible and dramatically appropriate story-end pairing, and if that's where the comic is indeed going, it won't look especially wrong or like they're either of them being gratuitously tortured. Which is all that I for one ask of a light comedy.

And I'm really getting the feeling that secondary characters are now being systematically pushed into their comic-end slots. Kiley got away out the door and presumably back to her studies, escaping DiDi and with a few interesting lessons learned that may serve her well in her career; Erik smiled and walked away from a last meeting with Zii, saying that he could live with what happened between them and remember the good stuff; we had a couple of panels of extra closure on the Angele/Vyndicator story; and now we have these two, possibly. Obviously, wrapping up the lead threesome will take a look more work than this, but I suspect that decks are being cleared. All of them, primary and secondary, will be left with a few loose ends, and frankly less than perfect closure, but there'll be some kind of coherent ending.
---------
Spidrift

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

The other two pixie trix series that ended left enough hanging plot threads to knit scarfs for all of Canada. And the "bonus" strips only managed to enrage their fanbase. Matt and Yuki are an odd coupling but at least we're getting something resembling closure.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

lordoffiling wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:21 am
YES Gary. Try again, and again, until they actually listen to the words coming out of your mouth, instead of jumping to the wrong conclusion before you’re done talking.

You’ve got this.
I'm thankful that he's giving it a second attempt. Heretofore he's gone along with the misunderstandings.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

And a couple more stars align.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

vampire hunter D wrote:
Gary's revived quite a few as of late

I'm really starting to like Gary again. I really liked him early on because I identified with him (prior to the swirly-go-round arc). Starting to like him again because he's getting tired of this "what the hell are people thinking" events. and starting to like himself again. For better or for worth he's a character I"m really enjoying again.
I love that he caught the confusion asap and instead of flailing is "start it over again from 0 you idiots." and how he's asserting about her reasons. Go Gary Go. Be my favorite again!

Though he'd get far further talking to them individually

I HATE seeing matt and yuki act cute.. but again we've covered why before. Much less of how I feel like Yuki's... unusually idiotic here and lately, and mainly around Matt. but he does seem to make people less... sentient and more primal urge. I'm sorry but Matt is pretty.. scumbag historically. Though he is the most consistant character i guess.
Prior to her involvement with Matt, I would have wanted Yuki with Gary or Sonya. Now probaably sonya.. they show caring and they can have the rough stuff they both like.

also Kylie was also my favorite. but now i'm kind of mad at her for her "sexual therapy" notes but also never trying to get Yuki to see an actual therapist. I think she talked to Kylie once before this whole shenangagans started? but that is also unjustly blaiming kylie. I thik I mostly just miss her character before teh sexshenangans improper therapist who you can't really trust with a license thing. Well miss her in general now. Even if she has "line in the sand" issues she's one of the more sane folks. I'd love to see her thoughts on the whole situation now.

In fact.. I kind of want Gary to give her a call and have her visit Yuki.... and discuss many things. on or off panel.

Derfman

Post by Derfman »

vampire hunter D wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Pot legal in Montreal? That and a long history of heavy drinking? Could explain sooo much about this strip. ;)