31-03-18 Let us try again

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

otaku247

Re: 31-03-18 Let us try again

Post by otaku247 »

MrsKytro wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:41 pm
I had to come to the forum to understand, and going back to the comic I still don't comprehend how anyone else connected those dots...

How did Yuki or Matt come to think Gary meant he wanted Matt from what was said, there?! :-?
Yuki was talking from her own perspective about what she is doing to get what she desires, and by confession states that that is Gary, so when Gary starts to reply in her head she thinks he is about to answer her confession of this desire for him, and his reply is taken by her as if he's said "Don't you think the guy who's okay with more risk is more desirable?" that is in her mind, desirable by Gary. Ergo, Gary wants Matt

Yes it's looser than a knot tied by Mr Burns but then again there does seem to be an awful lot of effort made by certain couples to misunderstand an important statement by main cast members *cough* Tracey and James *cough*

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

In other words, it's due to Yuki's self-confidence being at an all-time low, whereas Matt's is riding as high as ever,

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

One way to keep Matt & Yuki together would be to place a bun in her oven. All this sex without severe consequence? I know... I know... romantic comedy comic. And Matt is having sex with the threat of mutilation, which is a consequence I admit.

It is a dice roll, and I don't care if it is a woman on the pill or condoms or even the rhythm method or coitus interruptus. Short of surgery, it's a crap shoot.

It still makes me a little sad. I thought that early Gary & Yuki were a nice pairing. I found her carrying the torch for Gary very touching, which quickly got sidetracked by Sonya & Yuki hatefucking then returned back to trying to cure herself once more. I'm not the Captain of this romantic ship. I'm not going to go down with it, but I was fond of it while it lasted.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

God I fucking hate Matt so much
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:39 pm
One way to keep Matt & Yuki together would be to place a bun in her oven. All this sex without severe consequence? I know... I know... romantic comedy comic. And Matt is having sex with the threat of mutilation, which is a consequence I admit.

It is a dice roll, and I don't care if it is a woman on the pill or condoms or even the rhythm method or coitus interruptus. Short of surgery, it's a crap shoot.

It still makes me a little sad. I thought that early Gary & Yuki were a nice pairing. I found her carrying the torch for Gary very touching, which quickly got sidetracked by Sonya & Yuki hatefucking then returned back to trying to cure herself once more. I'm not the Captain of this romantic ship. I'm not going to go down with it, but I was fond of it while it lasted.
Forcing them to stay together by way of unplanned pregnancy is WAAAY too dark of a tone for the kind of story this comic is trying to tell. No thank you
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Besides, I see Matt as the type to be very careful about the use of prophylactics.
Last thing he wants is either a kid or a std impeding his lifestyle of high-profile underwear modeling and meaningless sex.

Taigan

Post by Taigan »

I think this is the first Ma3 strip in a long time I’ve literally laughed out loud at. Gary’s exasperation in the last panel is hilarious.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I'd e surprised if Matt wasn't cut.

granted being cut isn't 100% either. spontaneously heals itself. or a few manage the "leap of death" to get to the pathway still. Female version is more reliable. but hella hard on the body. Compared to a guy's being a very easy outpatient procedure. (aka any married couples not wanting kids should really have the guy get cut not the gal. and then get tested for sperm count, and still use condoms or birth control
Though I don't know if Matt could ever have stood to not bone for 6months while it heals properly. and I feel like he wouldn't have the fortitude to pee blood for more than half of that time period.

Swiftwinged Doom

An interesting thought occurred while reading this comic. In the second panel, the phrase Yuki uses for Matt that he completely blows off, is da suki yo, which means "I love you". However, in Japanese, this phrase carries considerable different meaning, meaning you use it in the same way to describe how you love food, or video games or your friends. In Japanese, the most sincere way to express deep affection, is 'Aisheteru', which is translated roughly to, I love you from the bottom of my heart, and is a phrase of such profound meaning, that even most married couples won't use it, due to the high strength of feeling it contains. I'm thinking that Yuki, while she has probably enjoyed the time she has spent learning with Matt, doesn't translate this into real, deep emotional love as the Japanese understand it and Matt himself unknowingly, though in all likelihood correctly, returns this idea. It's fun for him because it's indulging in what he likes. It would be even more intriguing to see if Yuki actually differentiates this to Gary, to really drive home how she feels and at least makes him think about it. Something like "For a guy like Matt, we use Suki da yo, the same way I would say I love ice cream. But for you and Zii, the only right thing to say is aisheteru" and maybe he gets a kiss and is left with something to ponder. Just a thought.
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I myself don't think Yuki is going to end up with Matt but it's looking like she's not going to get back with Gary either if he stands firm and friendzones Yuki. But if Gary does indeed go through with the friendzoning, it's going to come back and bite him on the ass in some way like it did with Zii after she rejected Sonya. Maybe Yuki will somehow get Gary fired from his video game artist job? But after the dust settles I could see Gary and Zii end up together after Zii's relationship with Didi inevitably fails.

And this strip's punchline was pretty weak imho. The stupid, it burns!

Swiftwinged Doom

I doubt she'd want to hurt him that way. For all the trouble she's caused for him, Gary is one of the few people Yuki genuinely cares deeply for and she wants him to be happy, even if it can't be with her

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

I do know how well the creators know Japanese but usually “suki da yo” is a declaration of love, similar to saying “I love you.” In my experience, it’s not something you say playfully or without meaning. Of course, every person is an individual and uses their language in their own way, but saying “suki da yo” is not in any way the equivalent of saying “haha I love you” jokingly in English. It’s a very powerful phrase.

For me, I like Yuki and Matt together. I don’t feel like Gary has feelings for Yuki anymore and I’m not sure I believe Yuki loves Gary anymore either. They’ve spent an awful lot of time apart for people who could or should have feelings for each other. Matt and Yuki makes sense. Neither seems overly interested in monogamy, they seem to enjoy the sex together, Matt probably loves the sense of danger and violence, and I’m betting Yuki does too. Instead of having to change herself for Gary, she’s matching nicely with Matt. She seems very much in control of herself and body, which is a pretty good thing. So what’s wrong here?
Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:20 am
An interesting thought occurred while reading this comic. In the second panel, the phrase Yuki uses for Matt that he completely blows off, is da suki yo, which means "I love you". However, in Japanese, this phrase carries considerable different meaning, meaning you use it in the same way to describe how you love food, or video games or your friends. In Japanese, the most sincere way to express deep affection, is 'Aisheteru', which is translated roughly to, I love you from the bottom of my heart, and is a phrase of such profound meaning, that even most married couples won't use it, due to the high strength of feeling it contains. I'm thinking that Yuki, while she has probably enjoyed the time she has spent learning with Matt, doesn't translate this into real, deep emotional love as the Japanese understand it and Matt himself unknowingly, though in all likelihood correctly, returns this idea. It's fun for him because it's indulging in what he likes. It would be even more intriguing to see if Yuki actually differentiates this to Gary, to really drive home how she feels and at least makes him think about it. Something like "For a guy like Matt, we use Suki da yo, the same way I would say I love ice cream. But for you and Zii, the only right thing to say is aisheteru" and maybe he gets a kiss and is left with something to ponder. Just a thought.
I’d have to disagree. Aishiteru is not a widely used, like you said, and I’ve never heard it in person, only in dramatic manga or anime. But saying “suki da yo” isn’t something that’s thrown around. Yes, you might say “kono isu ga suki yo!” but the context is different than when you apply it to a person, especially one that you’re sleeping with. Suki da yo can be very close to saying “I love you” and it’s not commonly throw around at friends. Not unless you’re breaking balls. I never said to any of my female friends “suki yo” or “suki da yo.” It just seems strange. I would say “nakama da yo” or “ii tomodachi da yo ne!” You say “suki da yo” for declaring your feelings to your sempai or boyfriend or something equally as dramatic. It’s not even something said often in relationships, unlike where in English we remind our partners daily (on the phone or before leaving or going to bed) “I love you.” It’s a phrase used with meaning, in my experience. But it’s been a while since I’ve lived in Japan so who knows.

Double post merged. The DAMNed

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

The good old misunderstanding game, however, actually quite amusing now since Gary insists on an instant retry; original Gary would've just forlornly hooked up with Matt just to avoid causing a kerfuffle.

I don't like how Gary is being so dismissive to Yuki's feelings - perhaps he understands that she is unable differentiate romantic love and platonic love, at least with men; Yuki despised all men, while also not being especially fond of anyone other than Zii, but she managed to find affection with Gary. Since her feelings for Zii were the only ones comparable to what she felt towards Gary, she believes they are basically both because of romantic love. I do think that Yuki does genuinely care for Gary though, which is why I am not a fan of him being so unreceptive (not that he has an obligation to reciprocate, but he could be softer? Well, it is positive feelings from Gary and Yuki either way).

I do like spine Gary, yet... if he is trying to set up Yuki with Matt, just to *escape* her advances, that is rather repulsive. Gary knows Matt is an absolute whore, with an unapologetic proclivity for cheating on his boy/girlfriends, so thinking that Yuki should stay with Matt just because Matt is "okay with the risk," makes Gary a terrible friend at best or a callous bastard at worst.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:20 am
(preface.. while I do have a BA in Japanese and lived there. I am beyond rusty and can't say i know anything of romance.)
I took it to mean, in that context. that she loves the risky sex. In the context of the conversation they were talkinga bout how the element of risk turns them on. So its the omitted subject of short form "friendly" speech
Not referring to Matt (not intentionally anyway). I rather think she was intending to reference the risky but she's also letting slip other feelings (or at least it is mean to be perceived that way. and Gary got that detail I think given his later statement) .
also I feel like Yuki is more apt to say "ai da yo" given her personality rather than Aisheteru
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:41 am

I do like spine Gary, yet... if he is trying to set up Yuki with Matt, just to *escape* her advances, that is rather repulsive. Gary knows Matt is an absolute whore, with an unapologetic proclivity for cheating on his boy/girlfriends, so thinking that Yuki should stay with Matt just because Matt is "okay with the risk," makes Gary a terrible friend at best or a callous bastard at worst.
I don't see him trying to pair the two to escape.. remember he hasn't seen much that we have.
So.. from what he has seen. They're already dating basically and now trying to bring him in.. for "funsies" mostly like.. well both yuki and matt have done to him in the past. So rather than pushing them together. He's pointing out what it seems to him. he's got two objectives there

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mm-hm. Gary has developed a sense of realism. Thanks to Zii, he’s noticed that what he and Peggy have is some kind of solid, positive relationship, with a fair degree of compatibility, and realised that maybe he ought to at least consider declaring it to be romantic. That might not work, but it’s worth considering. Now, he’s walked in on Matt and Yuki, and realised that what they have is some kind of solid, positive relationship, with a fair degree of compatibility...

Whether the rest of the comic’s run consists of Gary wandering around Montreal saying to other characters “stop messing around with ludicrous unrealistic fantasies and recognise the good stuff in front of your nose” remains to be seen. It’d be terribly Zen, I guess.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.