31-03-18 Let us try again

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Re: 31-03-18 Let us try again

Post by BlairFan »

This webcomic is so dirty, it's almost as dirty as me!
8O

Dragon Paladin

Post by Dragon Paladin »

samtheman wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:44 am
I myself don't think Yuki is going to end up with Matt but it's looking like she's not going to get back with Gary either if he stands firm and friendzones Yuki. But if Gary does indeed go through with the friendzoning, it's going to come back and bite him on the ass in some way like it did with Zii after she rejected Sonya. Maybe Yuki will somehow get Gary fired from his video game artist job? But after the dust settles I could see Gary and Zii end up together after Zii's relationship with Didi inevitably fails.

And this strip's punchline was pretty weak imho. The stupid, it burns!
The difference here is that Gary will probably be straightforward with Yuki and be amicable, whereas Zii told Sonya how she felt after having sex with another woman in Sonya's bed after Sonya explicitly asked her not to. And, to add insult to injury, that same woman was in the room while Zii was telling her. Not to mention, Yuki may be crazy, but i never saw her as vindictive. Sonya, on the other hand, is an extremely vengeful and petty person.

MrsKytro

Post by MrsKytro »

Thank you otaku247 and Error of Logic for explaining :)
I would still be flummoxed if it ever happened in real-time, but after some careful hindsight, I get it...

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

Dragon Paladin wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:53 pm
samtheman wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:44 am
I myself don't think Yuki is going to end up with Matt but it's looking like she's not going to get back with Gary either if he stands firm and friendzones Yuki. But if Gary does indeed go through with the friendzoning, it's going to come back and bite him on the ass in some way like it did with Zii after she rejected Sonya. Maybe Yuki will somehow get Gary fired from his video game artist job? But after the dust settles I could see Gary and Zii end up together after Zii's relationship with Didi inevitably fails.

And this strip's punchline was pretty weak imho. The stupid, it burns!
The difference here is that Gary will probably be straightforward with Yuki and be amicable, whereas Zii told Sonya how she felt after having sex with another woman in Sonya's bed after Sonya explicitly asked her not to. And, to add insult to injury, that same woman was in the room while Zii was telling her. Not to mention, Yuki may be crazy, but i never saw her as vindictive. Sonya, on the other hand, is an extremely vengeful and petty person.
This. What separates Yuki from Sonya in terms of their very similar personalities, is that Yuki ultimately is willing to give up her own desires to see the people she loves be happy. It's what inspired her to let Gary go the first time around, because she realized she couldn't be all the things he needed in order for them to really work. If he's willing to be sensitive enough to let her down firmly, but gently, I think she'd let him go, just because she knows it would make him the most happy, as heartbreaking as that would be :(
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

"Attention, everyone: the fine ship Gary/Zii is coming to Endgame Port! Thank you for traveling with us on Ma3 Lines!"

What we have learned now:

1) Gary isn't romantically interested in Yuki.

2) Gary isn't afraid of saying Point 1 in Yuki's face.

3) Yuki is romantically interested in Matt. Yes, she is. That "suki da yo" with a heart? In Japanese, it means a passionate "I love you!"

4) Yes, dammit, there's no mistake in Point 3! There are many ways in Japanese for expressing different forms of love, and "suki da yo" are the words you use for declaring romantic love. Sometimes it's shortened to "suki" or "suki da" -- in which case it becomes a little ambiguous and, depending on the context, can be misunderstood -- but I can't remember any case in manga or anime where someone uses all three words and doesn't convey that meaning.

5) Yuki isn't all that interested in Gary anymore. She misinterpreted that Gary was telling her that he liked Matt better than her, and her reaction was one of easy acceptance. She's still fond of Gary; in fact, I suspect she would have been okay with a m/f/m threesome relationship if Gary had said he still liked her... but, since he doesn't, she's fine with Matt alone.

6) Gary is thoroughly getting rid of past baggage and ready to start off with a clean slate. His call to Peggy was to ascertain whether Peggy had feelings for him or not; her answer meant a clear "No." He rejected Tracy and James -- and did it in such a firm way that he managed to get the idea through their thick heads, no small feat. Now he's sorting things out with Yuki, making it clear that from now on they will be friends and nothing more. That's about it. These three steps make him a free man with no romantic attachments or commitments to any other person.

Now he can make a play for Zii with serious decision and a clean conscience.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I thoroughly hate the idea of Zii and Gary.
but that just has more to do with Zii's habits and Gary's dullard but sincere attempts. I mean they could make a good couple if.. fairly isolated.
but they aren't.
Can't see it lasting long term really. Baring the string of alternate personality tropes Zii's been popping up

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Well, you're entitled to your feelings. I have nothing to say to that.

Of course, some of us feel differently. Some of us, like @worldshaking00 or me myself, would really like to see Gary tell Zii how much he admires her and respects her and loves her, and then give her a passionate kiss that totally blows her mind and sweeps her off her feet in a cloud of pastel sparklies and flying white doves.

Some of us are just hopeless romantics like that. :)
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Rosa wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:33 pm
Of course, some of us feel differently. Some of us, like @worldshaking00 or me myself, would really like to see Gary tell Zii how much he admires her and respects her and loves her, and then give her a passionate kiss that totally blows her mind and sweeps her off her feet in a cloud of pastel sparklies and flying white doves.
I am in agreement with the sentiment here.

Gary is ready to get serious, and arguably has been ready from the first panel of the comic. A woman has only to return his love and loyalty and he will follow her through Hell's front gates. His only shortfall was having vertebrae made of cartilage instead of bone, so that he kept getting dragged into situations he did not really want to be in, and he also needed to learn that a booty call should not be taken as anything more serious. These both appear to have been remedied.

Zii needs to realize that the happiness she seeks cannot be mixed with the lightning-strikes mentality that has characterized her relationships up until this point. She is finally realizing that bedding people on a whim has turned her life into a necklace in which each bead is a disaster; the next step is for her to recognize that for her, monogamy is her best bet. How long she dithers before accepting this remains to be seen.

Then again, the title of the comic suggests that this is going to end as a long-term threesome, and since Gary and Zii were there at or near the beginning, so should the third person. The most qualified candidates are Didi (which means the wrestling angle is about to collapse), or Amber (who was, in different ways, important to both Gary and Zii). (Pardon me if Amber is not available, I don't follow the other comics.)

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Vitocap wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:51 pm
Now he can make a play for Zii with serious decision and a clean conscience.
Other than Didi being her actual partner, of course. Gary is many things, but a backstabber is not one of them. If Didi and Zii are serious, he wouldn't get in the way. He is both of their friends and would not want to betray that. Should their relationship fall apart, well, that is an entirely different story. Now if he observes that Didi & Zii no longer have that spark, as a friend I think he would use his newfound perception on love/life to help them to understand their feelings for one another... to whatever end that led. He's just too nice of a guy.

As to the romanticism - hopeless or regular - Gary and Zii certainly seem to be aligning. The wrestling arc and however Zii's band ends up will flavor the how's and why's of their friendship. I'd still not count Yuki out entirely, and I think that her pseudo-infatuation with Matt will evaporate. I think Yuki will just needs some alone time, or ideally, a serious heart-to-heart with Gary. The real questions are whether and how Gary will tell Yuki he is or isn't interested in her anymore and if he will let it slip to Yuki that he is fond of Zii. And if Yuki can't be with Zii any longer, then their romance/friendship must also come to an end.

If anyone saw Chasing Amy, I see a small similarity in Ben Affleck's character to Gary.

In that movie, Ben's character places a sexperience proposal forth, which inevitably ends poorly for everyone involved. Gary got his freak on, so much so that he now feels as a contemporary to Zii. He doesn't feel burdened by being a virgin, and his breadth of experience rivals hers (if not for the amount of time Zii has been at it).
And thanks for the quote in your signature, @Rosa. Brought a tear to me eye :ymhug:
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

"Mattyukimammu, I have come to bargain!"

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Vitocap wrote:

3) Yuki is romantically interested in Matt. Yes, she is. That "suki da yo" with a heart? In Japanese, it means a passionate "I love you!"

4) Yes, dammit, there's no mistake in Point 3! There are many ways in Japanese for expressing different forms of love, and "suki da yo" are the words you use for declaring romantic love. Sometimes it's shortened to "suki" or "suki da" -- in which case it becomes a little ambiguous and, depending on the context, can be misunderstood -- but I can't remember any case in manga or anime where someone uses all three words and doesn't convey that meaning.
I believe you're off target here and that there's an ungodly amount of play in your "point three". Suki da yo to the best of my knowledge doesn't mean I love you. It means I like you, and the strength of the affection involved literally comes down to context cues (A heart emoji or tilde which tends to indicate tone, do not count for context) and I can't in good faith say that what we've seen between Matt and Yuki is nearly enough to make the weakest of the three standard ways to indicate affection for someone in Japanese count as an "I love you". It's not like she used daisuki da or aishiteru which are more locked in and as serious as you can get respectively. No matter how you slice it though, a passionate "I love you" suki da yo is not. Passionate romantic love would be expressed with daisuki at the very least, and probably aishiteru.
Last edited by Collarnorcrown on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I'm still rather certain she was expressing love for the danger heightened sex. Given the context. but may or may not be used as a subconcious admission within the plot narritive if the story wishes to go that way

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

Collarnorcrown wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:12 am
Vitocap wrote:

I believe you're off target here and that there's an ungodly amount of play in your "point three". Suki da yo to the best of my knowledge doesn't mean I love you. It means I like you, and the strength of the affection involved literally comes down to context cues (A heart emoji or tilde which tends to indicate tone, do not count for context) and I can't in good faith say that what we've seen between Matt and Yuki is nearly enough to make the weakest of the three standard ways to indicate affection for someone in Japanese count as an "I love you". It's not like she used daisuki da or aishiteru which are more locked in and as serious as you can get respectively. No matter how you slice it though, a passionate "I love you" suki da yo is not. Passionate romantic love would be expressed with daisuki at the very least, and probably aishiteru.
Sort of late in my response but no, she wouldn’t say “aishiteru.” No one says aishiteru. Maybe “daisuki da” but even that isn’t used as often. For new relationships, “suki da yo” is a very commonly used phrase used in romantic settings that easily translates so “I love you” in English (especially because English doesn’t often use words for varying levels of love). You like someone? You say “suki da yo.” You’ve been dating someone for a while? Dropping “suki da yo” is like dropping the L bomb. It conveys emotion and passion and no one says “aishiteru” not even some married couples, and “daisuki” is obviously a more powerful phrase but that doesn’t take away the fact that “suki” is the most commonly used phrase for conveying romance.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Thehate... The rage... The anger... Building...
christopheftw wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:59 pm
I agree that the best thing about Matt and Yuki as a couple is that no one else has to be in a relationship with either of them and suffer the sudden but inevitable betrayal or violence incident to dating one of them. Still, both are growing and trying to improve themselves and it doesn’t bother me at all that Yuki’s next lesson might be “you can’t always have what you want.”
Thank you for that Firefly reference! :))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh yes, fogot the applicable Victorian literary reference:

“It was very good of God to let Carlyle and Mrs Carlyle marry one another, and so make only two people miserable and not four.”
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.