27-03-18 So considerate of you

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

samtheman

Re: 27-03-18 So considerate of you

Post by samtheman »

Maybe Thursday's or Saturday's strip will have Kiley show up to Matt's apartment to get her stuff she left behind. That would make this situation a lot more interesting.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Vitocap wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 pm
All this to say that, a very large chunk of Yuki's anger comes from the way Zii treated (and hurt) Sonya.
While Sonya and Yuki have a shared past apart from Zii (directly), and that they might be friendly/friendlier with one another, I did not get the impression that they were good friends. Rereading strips 1370, 1372, 1373, and 1382 Yuki does not mention being upset at Zii for mistreating Sonya... although in 1373 she does want Zii to try to win Sonya back into the band because she is a competent bassist not for being a friend. Sonya got Didi's involvement with Zii, and Yuki seemed more upset at Didi for stealing her lovers. It was only when Zii 'had her mouth full' of Didi and (seriously) erred did Yuki flip her lid. Angel goes on to say that they both (Yuki & Sonya) do indeed sound good together. No surprise there since they won the Battle of the Bands; and sure, I'll concede practicing other things together might have placed them better into sync.

They all had been hurt by Zii. They all sound good together. They mesh for the most part. Yuki can immediately move into a new band. All three know that being a successful band will hurt Zii's pride. Yuki has always been temperamental, it seems... and rebounds quickly after making a rash decision just about as fast. If Zii were given half of a chance to explain herself and to offer a sincere apology for her extremely poor treatment of Yuki, I feel there friendship would be salvaged. Sonya wouldn't be swayed now that she realizes she's just been used for a long(?) amount of strip time and lied to. And Angel's feud with Zii shows no sign of ever stopping, especially with Angel actively fanning the flames burning the pyre of Zii's dying musical career.

I guess the definition of 'good friends' indeed lies in the realm of YMMV. I would agree that sharing bodily fluids would be just that, in the real world. In Ma3 Montreal though, it's a Tuesday. In this case, it would take Yuki acting selflessly/sticking up for Sonya in a situation that does not involve Zii to make me see them as 'good' friends and not just... well... whatever former hatefuckers are. Peggy telling Zii off for mistreating Sonya despite Zii knowing how deep Sonya loved Zii, would be a better example of friendship than how Yuki & Sonya have treated the other post band-meltdown. I'd still place Peggy's commentary as more calling Zii out for being a shitty person than Peggy being pro-Sonya. With Peggy living at Sonya's for a while the lines between obligation and friendship get blurred a bit, but I'd still say that Peggy > Yuki in terms of what we'd call honest friendship (in the real world). Dramasexuality, hate-fucking, obsession, and competitiveness make Yuki & Sonya's relationship difficult to wrap my brain around as a 'good' friendship. But that's just me?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

jish55

Post by jish55 »

I've been following this comic for years now, and I enjoy most of it (Zii and Didi sort hurt this comic a bit with how they've been), but I do hope that Gary has moved on from Yuki and is not interested in perusing anything with her (not because I hate her, but because I feel that it wouldn't work out). If anything, bring Amber back and have her end up with Gary since that really just ended abruptly with no real conclusion, or have it to where Gary and Peggy talk it out and they do get into an actual relationship together since they work together so well.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I think Amber is happy with her current beau, though, even if he is an impressionable fool.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 am
TwoWayStar wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am
we have come full circle, we're back to Gary walking in on this sort of panel (2nd). I wonder if they're going to start mirroring some of the other early strips??
This doesn't just mirror the first strip; it mirrors any number of strips since. "Walking in on buttsex" is just one of the comic's running jokes/lazy over-used stock effects [take your pick]. The only significance here is the heavy lampshading.
Hasn't it always been Matt on the receiving end too?

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

Is that a voice calling me softly?
Nothing in here is quite how it seems
Is that a whispers touch on my fear?
Am I awake or lost in old dreams?
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I must say that I don’t think that Yuki is specifically angry with Zii for hurting Sonya; what she’s said implies that it was because Zii seemed to care about nothing but DiDi — not the band, not Yuki, just Ms. Boobs. However, I would also say that, yes, Sonya and Yuki have become friends, by a spectacularly weird and roundabout route. The key moment, I think, was when Sonya set Yuki up with Matt — for the chaotic shit and giggles, sure, but also as a solid for Yuki.

And Peggy definitely rates herself as Sonya’s friend. Look at pretty much any time they interact. Yuki has noticed it, too; see Yuki’s space opera story, in which Dr. Peggulon is Evil Space Empress Sonya’s sidekick.
sparky wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:25 am
Hasn't it always been Matt on the receiving end too?
Usually, certainly... There was one time when Matt was topping Senna... I thought that there were other combinations, but I can’t think of them offhand. The point with Matt is that he’s an exhibitionist thrill-seeker who enjoys risk, so of course he’s the one who deliberately makes a point of getting into this situation.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Matt only receives from women.
When he's with men, he insists on being dominant.
Kylie explained it during their messy breakup.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm
Interesting that Yuki has no problem with a "tentacle" of her own, remaining calm and rational and even able to make jokes without any sign of angst. But when faced with possible penetration she still gets slightly ragey. She's making huge amounts of progress that probably wouldn't be possible outside a sex-farce comic, but progress.
I dunno. This is the equivalent of exposure therapy, which can be very effective in a short amount of time.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

corwinargentus

Post by corwinargentus »

Roborat wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 pm
Okay, I know some others have touched on this, but I am still trying to get my head around it. How is "being a good Japanese wife" any different from just being a good wife? Also, I interpret this "therapy" as Yuki trying to get over her penis=tentacle monster issue for Gary. It that accurate or am I misreading? Finally, who has sex on their living room couch when there is a perfectly good bedroom available? Other people have to sit on that.
It is a cultural concept, which has been touched on and explained several times. The Japanese have a long-standing concept of what it means IN THEIR CLTURE to be a good wife,, and it is this that Yuki is referring to in her comment.

Got it? Can we stop questioning this and trying to make it a racist thing (though Yuki’s concept of what constitutes a good Japanese wife may or may not line up well with that set of traits)?

Oh, and, lots of people have sex all over the house. I know my girlfriend and I do.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

The deja vu is real. :ymapplause:

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:28 am
she is basically being treated as a rebound of sorts for Gary

but Gary is only going to her because of the aforementioned rebound.
Not accurate. Gary called Yuki up because he had comic pages to deliver, and she asked him to bring them to Matt’s place.

If there’s any rebounding desires in the subtext I’m not seeing it.
True, the comic pages delivery may have been already planned, but the transition from his disappointment from Peggy having a dinner date, to him calling Yuki only makes sense if he was on the rebound, otherwise the transition is jarring.
Zellgato wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:28 am
I rather feel sorry for Yuki, not just for the fact that she has been spending time with another repulsive nymphomaniac that - worse than Zii - cares nothing about her other than the fact he can get pleasure from her (Zii was certainly a self-involved hedonist, but she cared enough about Yuki to want better for her). Other than that, I feel sorry for Yuki because she is basically being treated as a rebound of sorts for Gary (by him, that is); true, they had an earlier pairing, however, due to her mania, it was extremely dysfunctional and unfulfilling for Gary to say the least. Yet, she did seem to grow genuine emotional affection for him, thus has been trying to overcome her disorder (granted, in highly dubious ways), but Gary is only going to her because of the aforementioned rebound.
---
on the rebound bit. Do you mean waaay in the past when they first started dating? I dont' remember that being a rebound.. Kiley was rebound lay though. I mean that issue with Yuki and Kylie was the reason he went on a several month vacation trip right? He was emotionally invested and thought himself worthless for abit after (which is part of the reason the kylie bit happened I guess. long ago so i can't remember finer details.)

Or do you mean right now? This event isn't a date rebound.. He is visiting her as a friend, not a date potential here. Peggy did turn him down there (although who knows if she knows what he meant) but he had to see Yuki at some point due to their work together and they are friedns anyway..
So current visit isn't a rebound thing. at least not atm.
and I suppose there is that bit about "was thinking of dating so she popped up on his head" Except... the immedaite before that was turning down those two. So what would be going on in his head right there is more likely along the lines of "people who have hurt/disappointed me" "people I work with and have had relations with" or "rejection" in general. Considering the peggy call and then those two turn down...
his mind set was towards less enjoyable things.
Yeah, I meant the current visit felt like a rebound; I know their original coupling was planned, deliberately set up clumsily, but it was still organised rather than being a spur of the moment .
Perhaps I misread it, however, the fact that Gary was driven to call Yuki immediately after finding out Peggy wasn't an option just seems like a rebound.

Double post merged. The DAMNed

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I read it as sort of a rebound too. One could infer that him looking at his phone jogged his memory into remembering he needed to call Yuki about the finished doujin pages. Personally, I think it was subconscious as well, in order to see about Yuki and the possibilities of rekindling. Helping Zii, or at least getting Yuki's side and offering to help arbitrate optional.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:02 am
True, the comic pages delivery may have been already planned, but the transition from his disappointment from Peggy having a dinner date, to him calling Yuki only makes sense if he was on the rebound, otherwise the transition is jarring.
Not really, to me. Note that there was a small time jump there; he brushed Tracy and James off between strips. And his thought bubble was pretty clear; “I just remembered something”, with a neutral-serious expression.

Typical Gary, really. Sure, the refusal from Peggy was doubtless disappointing, but the invitation was a spur of the moment thing anyway, and so he just got on with life afterwards. No dinner date, so do something practical. At his best he’s stoic, at his worst he’s a bit disassociated.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

I read it less as being on the rebound and more "Oh. Shit. I should probably tie that loose end up before I try to pursue anything even vaguely serious with any one."
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche