22-03-18 Dinner with me

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Error of Logic

Re: 22-03-18 Dinner with me

Post by Error of Logic »

You also need to scrape these two jerks off and get a better quality of friends, Gary.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:24 pm
Rosa wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:45 pm
The last time it was Peggy who asked Gary out to a movie and dinner. Gary said yes, then cancelled a few hours later. Peggy went to watch the movie by herself (no sense wasting the ticket) and found Gary in the theater with a big-boobed blonde bimbo on his arm.
That's a good point. Mind you, characters in this comic tend to have the memories of goldfish, so specific incidents may or may not influence them.
Rosa and Spidrift,I remember that story, but I didn’t get the impression that Peggy was asking Gary out on a romantic date, but rather just as friends. She shouldn’t have been surprised that Gary would have canceled when percievably to her he had found someone with whom he could start a relationship with when the last time they spoke it was FWB between her and him. Still a rude thing canceling so quickly, but this was still spineless Gary. Had Peggy wanted to change their relationship to something more serious, she can bring it up again since there is no reason to think he only wants casual relationships from here on out.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am
Whether the dim duo actually care for Gary or if it is simply fulfilling their cuckold kink, Gary (and the audience) would be better off without them - as influences on the plot, anyway.
I don't think it's cuckolding if they both want to bang Gary.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

*sighs*

Not only is the Gary+Peggy ship taking on water and sinking fast but Gary now has to deal with these two idiots again. And I'm wondering who Peggy's dinner date is. Why do I get the feeling that it's Matt? And why do I also get the feeling that Gary is going to ask Yuki out on a date to the same restaurant where Peggy is having her dinner date?

Khazuki

Post by Khazuki »

It is unlikely they'll end up at the same restaurant, since Peggy specifically told him where she was going. Though it does seem very much like a set up for an awkward encounter.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I could see Gary call Yuki and ask her out on a date and she replies "Yay! Meet me at the Le Filet at seven and don't be late! Love you! Bye!" And then when Gary and Yuki go into the restaurant they see Peggy and Matt together on their dinner date. Hilarity and awkwardness ensues.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Giving the name of the restaurant might mean something. It could just be Peggy letting Gary know where she's going... perhaps the restaurant is very chic or has a long waiting list for a reservation... or it could also be her way of letting him know ala their movie 'date'. I'm assuming it is exclusive.

Which would make sense if Lynn has a reservation there and brings Didi along. Enter awkward moment of Peggy seeing Lynn & Didi, perhaps getting to be more than just friends.

I don't recall Maura and Gary actually having sex. Despite Maura's loud proclamations, I think she KO'd Gary before she even removed her bra. Not that Peggy would know how far Gary & Maura got, but just saying.

Other than having sex, Gary & Zii have a good relationship... according to Zii (Panel 1 flashback). Gary might do some more mental rewinding and try to get some logic going on. What is missing/different from what *he* considers a good relationship as compared to her definition? I think he would consider Zii & Didi's 'relationship' sacred, so I wouldn't expect him to try to break them apart. Be a shoulder to cry on? Absolutely.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Google, people, Google for the love of Ruby. It really exists, it gets 75% “Excellent” ratings on Tripadvisor, and the New York Times reviewed and liked it.

In other words, if Peggy is heading there on a romantic date, her new friend has a thousand times more class than Gary and is spending some money to prove it (because that doesn’t sound like a nurse’s salary sort of joint). And if it’s just a friend or family member who’s treating her, she’s not going to blow them off without a damn good reason. If this is meant to suggest that Peggy has a new suitor, he’s serious — but very likely, it’s just a way of saying that Peggy had very good reasons not to take up Gary’s offer.

(And damnit, I’m jonesing for high-class seafood now.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Interesting. I wouldn't have figured the creative team would use a real world establishment, what with "WW3" and all that. Part of me thought about using some web-fu; see above.

Definitely could be romantic, but it could also be work-related. A Doctor's salary should be able to more than cover that dinner engagement. It could also be her rich Aunt or some such too. Could be a girl's gathering of collegiate buddies too. Who knows.

Peggy certainly could be going on a romantic date that the creative team stealthed in her finding someone whilst nursing and pegging Gary's behind. It's just her lack of normal 'free' time that makes a romance seem difficult to believe. Could be the beginnings of a work romance... but speculation.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Maybe Peggy's dinner date is Erik? He's rich and they met right after Peggy dumped her last boyfriend. As for Gary, he's probably still going to be dumb enough to ask Yuki or Tracy out on a date. Gary may have grown a spine but that hasn't really made him any smarter.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:46 am
Interesting. I wouldn't have figured the creative team would use a real world establishment, what with "WW3" and all that.
As opposed to all the real-world anime, manga, western comics and the rest that the comic regularly references?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Creative team choosing to give an artistic nod to some of their favorite media? Most of those references are subtly added in, like a ring-tone or a t-shirt or a somewhat obscure hobby from abroad (Japan for Gary's rarer Transformers).

I am unaware if there are any legal differences from Canada and sue-happy USA in regards to use of copyrighted intellectual properties for artistic use. Using their name for a review is one thing which seems like it would be different than just dropping it in matter-of-factly. Perhaps Giz and/or Dave are amicable with the owners of Le Filet and are using the name with permission? Perhaps they were unaware of the establishment's existence? Perhaps it doesn't matter?

I was just trying to point out that changing "WWE" to "WW3" is a thing, a parody done probably for legal protection, and that I was mildly shocked to learn that the named restaurant was real.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Except WWE has been referenced in the strip as well, with Gary owning several WWE themed t-shirts.

suranae

Post by suranae »

So Tracey just called Gary "Corporal" out loud, is the cat out of the bag?

Are they permanently perched outside his cube?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 am
I am unaware if there are any legal differences from Canada and sue-happy USA in regards to use of copyrighted intellectual properties for artistic use.
Even in the USA, mere names aren't copyright, and just mentioning them isn't a trademark issue. One could talk about the Ritz, or Macdonalds, or the Fat Duck at Bray, or Starbucks, to one's hearts' content, or mention them in fiction, and there'll be no comeback. (Writers do it all the time.) I mean, if one said that restaurant XYZ was run by an evil maniac, that would be libel against an individual, and if one went round saying that chain ABC served crappy coffee and had poor hygiene, their lawyers might go looking for a way to shut one up, but mentioning a place in passing, in a mildly favourable way at that (a character with a booking there definitely doesn't want to cancel it), is no big deal at all.

(Note: I am not a lawyer. I just read books and watch TV.)

I assume that wrestling promotion has been anonymised in this strip because we're seeing some internal details. Note that, for example, the CEO of "WW3" seems to have a mildly sleazy thing for large-breasted women, and their chief women's wrestling scout is a promiscuous lesbian and wannabe homewrecker; as there are presumably people with those job titles in WWE in reality, if the comic used that name instead, Pixietrix could be looking at some very shirty letters from heavy-duty lawyers. So using an expy is, you know, not libelous, and therefore (a) smart and (b) not evil.
---------
Spidrift