17-03-18 Let go a little

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

DarkAsh

Re: 17-03-18 Let go a little

Post by DarkAsh »

I wouldn’t read too much into this one instance. In the context of a web comic there’s only so much that can be said in four or so panels. There is still time to have him express his true feelings about her.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Gosh, I sure hope you're right. I mean... it may not be intentional, but, the way he phrases his sentence, he makes it sound as if she is just a "hot nurse" for him. A hot piece of ass who happens to tickle his nurse fetish as well.

I would be quite disappointed in Gary if those were his real feelings. :(
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

DarkAsh wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 pm
I wouldn’t read too much into this one instance. In the context of a web comic there’s only so much that can be said in four or so panels. There is still time to have him express his true feelings about her.
Except they've made it clear they only see each other as friends with benefits.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Have they? I typical only read each page once, maybe twice thanks to the forum discussions, but I don’t retain every detail. I am re-reading the series now that I picked up the printed versions.

Regardless of previous statements they may have, this one phrasing should not be taken as a sign of lack of affection Gary may have for Peggy.

Quote removed. The DAMNed
Last edited by DarkAsh on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

If Ma3 were a musical, this'd be the time Gary starts to sing "You Can't Always Get What You Want." :D

HappyFriar

Post by HappyFriar »

Vitocap wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 pm
Ouch.

You might remember that, when talking about last strip, I examined the good and not so good points of the many women around Gary. As it came to Peggy, I said:

"Peggy is adorable, sweet, pretty, easy to get along with, kind to everyone, courageous, with a good head on her shoulders... she's everything a man could ask for."

As it happens, in this strip, Gary too has an opportunity to extol Peggy's qualities. So what is it that he has to say?

"Hot nurse."

Ow ow ow. Ouchies.

This does not bode well for the future of the ship. :(
Eh, I think you're reading too much into it. He was going with the part that seemed out of character for him, and having nice girls to talk to isn't exactly his issue. It's the sex that is the weird shift in his life of late, so that's what gets mentioned as 'not Gary.'

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Peggy has made it pretty clear that while she is supportive of Gary making himself better, she is happy with their F. w/Benefits relationship. Post-coital conversation is just polite, when Gary & Peggy discuss what's on their minds and how their day went. Their booty calls aren't just 'wham! bam! thank-you, ma'am!'

Gary might be a little interested in having Peggy on a permanent basis, but I think he'd need to express himself better on what he is looking for in a relationship/partner. Peggy and him don't really share anything in common, which also makes it a little more difficult to keep their ship afloat.

I'd like to think that Peggy would be adult enough to sail away should Gary find someone he wants to form a serious relationship with.. or if not sail away, be supportive and an ear to listen to. It is hard for me to still wrap my brain around casual sex without friendship and trust being cornerstones of that relationship. But maybe that's just me. Ditto for Gary if Peggy decided to move on.

Gary was literally saying that Peggy & him aren't a couple, despite them being friendly and fucking. Gary isn't spiritually fulfilled; visiting Peggy just gives him a sexual avenue that doesn't involve his hand and a box of tissues. Zii came close to feeling fulfilled with Eric, but her lust for Didi and a somewhat well-played Sonya plan put the kibosh on that.

I know it wouldn't work well for a 4-panel comic strip, but there was a part in Pulp Fiction where Mia and Vincent were just sitting at their table at the restaurant. Mia announced that being able to share silence with a person was a sign that you've met someone special. Zii & Gary, I feel, are on the verge of a similar scenario.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

gormadoc wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:03 pm
How is having hot nurses doing things to his butt "not Gary"? It's been happening for eight years!
That's a male nurse, not Peggy.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:42 am
Peggy has made it pretty clear that while she is supportive of Gary making himself better, she is happy with their F. w/Benefits relationship. Post-coital conversation is just polite, when Gary & Peggy discuss what's on their minds and how their day went.
Don’t truncate the F. It stands for friends. Which is what they are, and that’s great.
I'd like to think that Peggy would be adult enough to sail away should Gary find someone he wants to form a serious relationship with.. or if not sail away, be supportive and an ear to listen to.
I imagine that’s what will happen, yes; it’ll be interesting to see the details of the writing. Doubtless Peggy will be sad, but she’ll always have the Black Stallion and Matt’s phone number.
It is hard for me to still wrap my brain around casual sex without friendship and trust being cornerstones of that relationship.
That’s funny; I thought that they had friendship and trust by the bucketload. What they don’t have is love or passion.

The sequence of strips that literally defined Gary and Peggy’s relationship is the one that began here. They established that they’re friends with (really good) benefits, and no more — and Peggy showed that she isn’t concealing some foolish self-deception by cheerfully chatting with Gary about what he does want in a long-term relationship. Ever since when, they’ve been happily living out that clearly defined arrangement. It’s not complicated.
Opus the Poet wrote:
gormadoc wrote:How is having hot nurses doing things to his butt "not Gary"? It's been happening for eight years!
That's a male nurse, not Peggy.
He’s (a) hot, (b) a nurse, and (c) about to do things to Gary’s butt. Words mean what they mean.

Accidental double post deleted as requested. The DAMNed
Last edited by Spidrift on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

This is the most mature Gary I've ever seen. When was the last time he laughed at his own situation? Never, right? He's come to terms with it, which means it no longer dominates him. He's growing up.

This is the most honest I've ever seen Zii. She's actually admitting to some personal issues, rather than projecting them onto someone else. What happened to the universe?

As previously stated by others: Shipping. Screw, already. Tag team Didi. (See, I got a wrestling joke in there, too).

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Spidrift wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 am
The sequence of strips that literally defined Gary and Peggy’s relationship is the one that began here. They established that they’re friends with (really good) benefits, and no more — and Peggy showed that she isn’t concealing some foolish self-deception by cheerfully chatting with Gary about what he does want in a long-term relationship. Ever since when, they’ve been happily living out that clearly defined arrangement. It’s not complicated.
Thanks for linking to that page. That was so long ago, I had completely forgotten about that conversation. Not to sound delusional, this does not exclude the possibility of Peggy and Gary becoming a serious couple. I doubt Gary has yet to learn the ability to separate affection from infatuation and secretly pines for anyone who has shown any kindness to him. That is why Gary holds a torch for Zii and why he was willing to continue dating Yuki even though she was not a very good girlfriend.

Now with Gary gradually becoming a more confident person, Peggy may start to grow feelings for him that can lead to a serious relationship. Who knows though. This will doubtfully happen within the time left in the series, especially if it continues to focus primarily on Zii and Didi, Zii and her band, and Didi and wrestling.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Even if they never hook up, they'll be bros for life.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

DarkAsh wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm
Not to sound delusional, this does not exclude the possibility of Peggy and Gary becoming a serious couple.
Of course it doesn't. But until we have evidence that the situation defined then has changed a lot, we know that they aren't. We have no evidence that it's changed even a little. Do the logic.
I doubt Gary has yet to learn the ability to separate affection from infatuation and secretly pines for anyone who has shown any kindness to him. That is why Gary holds a torch for Zii and why he was willing to continue dating Yuki even though she was not a very good girlfriend.
Uh, no. No twice over. On the one hand, that same conversation showed Gary chatting somewhat affectionately to Peggy about his hopes for a more serious relationship with another woman, even while they were naked in bed together. And this latest strip shows him casually, instantly denying that he's "in a relationship" with Peggy, despite their continuing affection. Gary has learned just fine to separate affection from infatuation. Score that as another bit of character development for him, in fact, now you mention it.

And on the other hand, we know very well why he has a bit of a thing for Zii. It started on the night of the band's gig, when he walked home thinking about her, he talked about it to Peggy, and their post-work conversation over coffee dropped more hints. He thinks she's cool. It's the rock star charisma thing. It may or may not be very smart of him, but he's got past the needy-nerdy phase and started seeing her as a woman who he can like and admire as an adult.
Quinlan1973 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm
Even if they never hook up, they'll be bros for life.
Gary and Peggy or Gary and Zii? Either way, you're right. Gary has mastered the art of seeing women as people, friends, and equals. That's far more important as character development than him getting laid.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

tcrpgfan

Post by tcrpgfan »

DarkAsh wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm
I doubt Gary has yet to learn the ability to separate affection from infatuation and secretly pines for anyone who has shown any kindness to him. That is why Gary holds a torch for Zii and why he was willing to continue dating Yuki even though she was not a very good girlfriend.
Four words: Gary's 30th birthday bash.

And the night before that he hooked up with Amber.
"Time... Lines? Time isn't made out of lines... It is made out of circles. THAT is why clocks are round." -Caboose from Red vs. Blue

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Time for some more Gary+Zii ship teasing. But goddamn it I really want the FWB relationship between Gary and Peggy to develop into something more but I know that isn't going to happen. It's so frustrating.