13-03-18 How did she get in here

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

rogermart

Re: 13-03-18 How did she get in here

Post by rogermart »

My prediction still for the main cast is that Zii will hook up with Gary after Didi and her break up... Didi will leave the apartment when she joins the WW3...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

The reason I now think Zii won't end up with Gary is because of this strip:

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/let- ... u-our-card

I'm now thinking Zii is going to remember this card and use that to go with Didi on the road for the wrestling stuff. I could be wrong but why would the creators put a strip like this in? If it's just a random throwaway joke I'm going to be disappointed. It would also be a way they could tie up the story-arc for Zii's band as well.

And while Gary is growing a spine I don't think he'll grow enough of one to stand up to Yuki when she returns to re-stake her claim on him. You have to remember that Yuki has a way of forcing people into doing what she wants either by violence, blackmail, or in the case with Matt, a little bit of stalking and guilt-tripping. Also remember that she blackmailed Gary into drawing her manga for free way back in volume one. Did Yuki ever find out that Gary got a job as an artist at a video game studio? I wonder if that will become a plot point in this last volume. Oh, who am I kidding? We'll probably get another 50-60 strips of wrestling arc then Gary's arc is wrapped up as an afterthought.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Why must Gary be the butt of so many jokes?
:)) ;)) ;))

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Is Gary losing weight?

I only ask because this is the first time I've seen him drawn with those defined cheekbones (the lines in his cheeks).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

brasca wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm
I've been warned about sleeping with my contact lenses in. I can't imagine that's good to leave in overnight.
I'm not sure but I don't think Gary owns contacts. His glasses are probably on the nightstand or dresser or something.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am
however, it still feels unbecoming of a medical professional to allow the object to stay overnight.
I'd assume a few hours in a relatively sedate position while under (asleep/lax) supervision would be acceptable. I'm sure he was properly lubricated. Maybe breakfast sex will be more interesting for them today?
Chantaru wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:24 pm
I think it's more about the landmark "falling asleep together" instead of just banging.
This. It is a small development, but significant if it hasn't canonicaly happened before. Certainly, they could have just shagged themselves to sleep, and that is all. But should the creative team choose to, they could follow through with this and have Peggy realize Gary is a nice enough guy to have feeling for as deeply as she first loved her ex. Or Gary could (*gasp*) volunteer an "I think I love you" or something like that, reflecting on how good he has it with her. He doesn't mind the butt stuff, as long as it is from a woman (and especially from one he is romantic with). I think he's just more shocked waking up with a plug in his rear, rather than 'putting his toys back in the toybox. Also, punchline required. Of course, to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a butt plug is just a butt plug.

Yuki re-entering Gary's love life is an interesting dilemma too. If her love for Gary is truly sincere and not just misplaced je ne c'est quoi, it has to be resolved one way or another for Yuki to be in her 'happy place'. Considering her phallaphobia has been a plot thread strung through story-after-story, her overcoming it and returning to Gary is a weird Hallmark moment. Her anger issues and (current) proximity to Zii/Didi might jeopardize things too. Yuki can do politeness masterfully when she's not riled up... she's Japanese AND Canadian! If Matt ever started being monogamous after realizing he is a complete asshat, I can envision Matt & Yuki pairing. But then that would require the complete neutering of Matt's defining characteristic.

Tracy and Kiley's goings on also need to be put to bed {heh, funny how that phrase takes on such a nice double entendre} but I feel that while either of them could throw a monkey wrench in the gears of Gary's love life, Tracy is too high strung and Kiley is too nice and both of them have a career path they enjoy and desire to follow. Peggy too, technically, is lumped into this grouping. I think that Gary & Peggy would make a great couple, but there are many other variables to consider.

Which leaves Zii and how her and Gary settle. Absolutely, all the wistful longings from Gary and uncertain cravings from Zii are littered about. He still finds her somewhat attractive and for some reason still holds onto the torch of having sex with her. I never really understood why he does, other than as a young teen she liked Dazzler comics and that she actually took the time to be his (shoddy) wing-girl. He idolizes her, even now, and I suppose that is enough for him. And with Zii not into sex anymore (or at least currently) the likelihood of Gary/Zii seems unlikely without Zii getting interested in sex once again. Maybe he will be her Prince Charming and awaken her with a (SGR) kiss?

Storywise, Lita is a symbol for part of Zii. To me, she is the strongest barometer of Zii's life. Lita wants to be fed. Zii is needing to be (spiritually & emotionally) refueled. The similarities and exposition are myriad if one goes back and rereads the cat's minor involvements & inclusions. One could read that Zii truly should be with Gary because her cat likes him, and that over a thousand strips have been written to show that one should be content with the opportunities given them when they quite literally knock on your front door. Or maybe it took a thousand strips for Gary to grow up sexually to become a sexual contemporary/equal to Zii while at the same time Zii had to chill out and suffer heartbreak over her lascivious lifestyle. Only then could they appreciate the other?

Or maybe, and here's the kicker, they never have sex together and it is the big regret each of them have. The comic ends with them meeting up at a cafe, sipping coffee and catching up while trying to hide from the other how noire their life is without the other for not going down the road they could have had. Dark for a rom-com, I realize, but it would be artsy.

As far as the art in the strip, yeah, Gary looks a little weird with the cheekbones as they are and how his eyes are drawn. He's tired, and probably a little dehydrated after the marathon lovemaking session. Maybe he is also experiencing the beginning of an allergy attack since Lita is on top of him? Or maybe Giz just tried to draw him tired?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:51 pm
I could be wrong but why would the creators put a strip like this in? If it's just a random throwaway joke I'm going to be disappointed.
Then you must spend a lot of time being disappointed with this comic. It’s stuffed full of unresolved throwaways.
Did Yuki ever find out that Gary got a job as an artist at a video game studio?
Yes. He told her at the concert.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I just went back through the archives and no, Gary did not tell Yuki at the concert about his job at the video games studio. He only told her about meeting Sandra in Paris. That was also the last time it looked like Kiley was still interested in Gary but that was way back in volume six.

And yes, I do spend some time disappointed with the comic but I'll still keep reading for the art and the characters I like.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh yeah, truncated conversation. Sorry.

Now, if Zii wants to join DiDi on the road with the WW3, she could (a) Come along as DiDi’s guest, or (b) Try to crash the event by waving a business card from a pair of novice wrestlers with a complete different promotion. Yeah, I guess that Ma3 logic does make the latter more likely.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:35 pm
Storywise, Lita is a symbol for part of Zii. To me, she is the strongest barometer of Zii's life. Lita wants to be fed. Zii is needing to be (spiritually & emotionally) refueled. The similarities and exposition are myriad if one goes back and rereads the cat's minor involvements & inclusions.
This is so interesting. So you say Lita always acts and reacts like an expression of Zii's secret self? I have to admit I'd never noticed it before... I may have to reread the strips tagged Lita and pay more attention to her behavior...
If you are right, the implications are staggering. The not-anymore-oversexed Zii would be not anymore drunken on Didi and secretly yearning for Gary!
worldshaking00 wrote:
And with Zii not into sex anymore (or at least currently) the likelihood of Gary/Zii seems unlikely without Zii getting interested in sex once again. Maybe he will be her Prince Charming and awaken her with a (SGR) kiss?
:-o :-o :-o :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
Oh-emm-gee.
You have the sexiest ideas.
I so hope Giz is reading, likes your line of thought and decides to steal it. :x
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

If this were an anime rom-com Gary would still be a virgin.

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

Of course, if Yuki returns, Gary's spine up could also mean that they finally honestly sit down and talk about the things they've been dealing with and their various insecurities. The comic may not end perfectly happily ever after for them, but maybe an acknowledgement that they're going to try again with everything on the table this time and see how things go. Out of all the women Gary has known, nobody seems to click at the normal intervals with him quite like Yuki does. Sex is probably their only real hang up at this point because of Gary's virginity making him insecure and self conscious and Yuki's phobia making her just plain dangerous. But out of all the cast, she connects with him in a core sort of way as an uber nerd, and lover of art and obscure geek culture. The real reason she even began to consider him as a partner wasn't his ability to fuck her senseless, but that he actually liked her father for one of his most undervalued stories and something that actually touched her at a deep level. That seems like a lot to just throw aside, especially since they keep coming back to each other and when comedy isn't the issue, there's a warmth between them that even Gary and Zii just don't quite have. Of course it could all be rendered nil, but that's kind of the thrill of following the comic at this stage.
Last edited by Swiftwinged Doom on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Rosa wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:07 pm
This is so interesting. So you say Lita always acts and reacts like an expression of Zii's secret self?
Well, I wouldn't use the term 'always', but effectively for the story, yes. Zii is cat-like in mentality. She is mischievous. She is self-centered, or at least supremely confident in her own abilities unless under direct scrutiny. She carouses. She is loyal but also plays rough, sometimes hurting those who care for her. She can be rash and spiteful. There's other similarities, I am sure, but those should illustrate my point.

Lita is like how Zii should be: uncomplicated. Zii gets herself into too much drama. Lita just wants a stable atmosphere in which to have fun and live a cat's life... not moving from strange place to place. Food provided. Affectionate petting always welcome. No worries. When cats make mistakes, they shrug it off and move along. Their own sense of self-worth seems to preclude shame or regret.

When Zii does something off and Lita is around, check Lita's expression. Usually it is not neutral. Lita is giving some sort of condemning or feline facepalm-equivalent. Cats also claim ownership rather well. Lita claimed Gary, because she trusted herself to be safe with him. Lita hasn't outright attacked any of the guests at Gary's apartment, even the ones that got extra close to Zii (her owner). To me, that implies that Lita doesn't give a hell whom Zii sleeps with... just as long as Zii knows that *here* (referring to Gary's bed) is where *I* will be and so should you too.

Comedy gold aside, why else have a pet be listed in with the rest of the main cast? Lita is important, if not the most vocal of characters. I think she is an artistic tool being used to remind the reader to have fun, be safe, focus on what really matters, and don't sweat the small stuff. And to change the cat box regularly, if you have a cat. :P
Rosa wrote:
If you are right, the implications are staggering.
Indeed. Imagine if Pinocchio never listened to Jiminy Cricket? Now compare Zii and Lita.
Rosa wrote:
The not-anymore-oversexed Zii would be not anymore drunken on Didi and secretly yearning for Gary!
That is the possibility, but Zii has to unpack a lot of baggage before she gets back to Gary.

First of which is the albatros Didi. If Zii truly loves her, she has to open up. Vice versa. Sex on demand is not a relationship built to last.

Second is her betrayal of her friendships and if they can be salvaged again. This will tie into Yuki's love for Gary as well. If Yuki & Gary become serious, Zii will have missed her opportunity with Gary. If Yuki resents Zii and will not forgive her, there might be a fight over Gary. Or they can all be cool and have the menage a trois as the title suggests.

Thirdly is her band and her musical aspirations and whether she wants to pursue them further. And as we're noticing, salvaging her musical ambitions is taking its toll with the band members she has.

These are things Gary can't directly help much with; these are Zii's crosses to bear. Absolutely, Gary could help support Zii on her road to recovery (reminds me of Samwise carrying Frodo up Mt. Doom). But sexing up Gary (or him sexing her up) only prolongs the struggle without fixing the underlying problems of his/her character... no matter how magical her fingers or his tongue are.

And thanks @Rosa. I'm a romantic at heart, and have a very overdeveloped sense of imagination. I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

The Gary Zii..may be creeping ever closer..but why is a good question? :-? :-? what would this relaationship do for gary?? like...nothing really..

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

worldshaking00 wrote:
As far as the art in the strip, yeah, Gary looks a little weird with the cheekbones as they are and how his eyes are drawn. He's tired, and probably a little dehydrated after the marathon lovemaking session. Maybe he is also experiencing the beginning of an allergy attack since Lita is on top of him? Or maybe Giz just tried to draw him tired?
Maybe Peggy's a succubus from the Dangerously Chloe Universe, slowly sucking away Gary's life juices. We're starting to see the effects! 8-X

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

TwoWayStar wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 pm
The Gary Zii..may be creeping ever closer..but why is a good question? :-? :-? what would this relaationship do for gary?? like...nothing really..
Gary is really impressed by Zii. See his reaction to the concert. He thinks she’s exceptionally cool and special. And they’ve both developed to the point that, when Zii lets her guard down, they actually enjoy just hanging out.

What Zii would do for Gary is be different enough to be interesting, and similar enough to get on.
---------
Spidrift