01-03-17 Leave that choice to you

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 01-03-17 Leave that choice to you

Post by Spidrift »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm
I disagree. Her blush line in the final panel deepens, she’s definitely thinking about more than wrestling.
She’s blushing because Lynn is flirting, so brashly that even DiDi can’t help but notice, sure. But the offer she’s acrively considering is just for the wrestling training session.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TeamYuki

Post by TeamYuki »

tomlouie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:07 pm
> "You're a knockout, and I'd like to sleep with you."

How likely does a line like that work in real-life? Err, asking for a friend.
It only works if you are also a knockout or if you are famous... And, it works best if you are both.

That being said... I'm sick of Didi. And, honestly? She is dragging any enjoyment I had left for the Zii character down with her. I feel like we have so many amazing characters that have been left by the wayside or never been fully used to begin with over the years that COULD be getting "screen time" now, but instead we are wasting it on Didi and her idiot wrestling kick. Matt, Dillon, Kiley, Senna, Amber... We could be having a blast in this final volume and wrapping things up. Instead? It feels like we are going to waste the whole damn thing on Didi at this point and have crappy rushed endings for everything else.

At this point if Didi got written out by getting hit by semi (Don't want her Amazonian constitution to save her.) in the next strip? I wouldn't even care.

And, yes, I know... Before I get a Spindrift lecture... This is all up to Giz and the writers. But, as a long time fan, this is my feedback.

Let's face it, guys, we all know by this point that Didi is too stupid and self-absorbed to actually have any meaningful character revelations.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Since Lynn knows nothing about DiDi needing an emotional connection I don’t see this ending well for everyone involved. Although Lynn can at least brag about climbing those mountains when she’s done.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 pm
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm
I disagree. Her blush line in the final panel deepens, she’s definitely thinking about more than wrestling.
She’s blushing because Lynn is flirting, so brashly that even DiDi can’t help but notice, sure. But the offer she’s acrively considering is just for the wrestling training session.
Mmmmmmmm maybe, but Giz is pretty good at facial expressions. Didi looks tempted to me in the last panel.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:49 pm
tomlouie wrote:

I haven’t tested it, but I suspect that if you walked up to a girl at a party and tried it, it wouldn’t work so well. At all. However, if you used it as part of a well-organised campaign of honesty and sympathetic listening, as Lynn does here, it might just work as well as it does for Lynn — i.e. it won’t get the target into bed in itself, but it will set you up nicely for a “No tricks, but if you want this...” finishing move later.
All kidding aside, yes. Laying your feelings on the table honestly is not your opening move, but it is something you should bring in at some point, after (and this is the hard part for a lot of us) having a normal social interaction with some small talk. Even when someone's looking for a casual bang, you've got to first establish that you'd be a pleasant way to spend the evening, and you do that with talking. Lurching straight to the proposition will usually come across as trying to compensate for something or showing disinterest in them as a person. Once a certain relaxed vibe around each other is established, a quick talk about where you want things to go is desirable for both parties. (You can sometimes work up to it by moving from general, platonic subjects to relationship status and ideas about relationships, as seen here.) If you or they have misread the other, the result may be awkward, but that's the risk we run.

There's a lot about this story that doesn't map so well to interactions between most people. Lynn is an industry-famous person who's used to signing body parts, and she can leverage her fame and role as a recruiter to gather information on DiDi in not altogether appropriate ways. But I think stating her desires clearly and succinctly while they're in a non-intimate setting, before any wrestling sessions, is a lot more morally defensible-- and likely to succeed-- than it would have been if she'd pretended to be only interested in DiDi as a potential recruit and then made a move later.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

brasca wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:56 pm
Since Lynn knows nothing about DiDi needing an emotional connection I don’t see this ending well for everyone involved. Although Lynn can at least brag about climbing those mountains when she’s done.
Lynn might not know, but I get the impression that she is somewhat of a sensitive lover by how she is playing the long game with Didi. Combining that with her treating Didi more like a person than a slab of lust-meat, Lynn has a fair shot at actually pleasing her.

And don't forget that Didi is definitely turned on by being dominated (at least mild spanking and being tied up). That could translate quite well with an athletic wrestling pro partner pinning her to the mat(tress). Didi is a lazy lover. She uses her looks & over exaggerated flouncing to stimulate her partners, and only now with Zii's tutelage has enjoyed pleasing her lover. Granted, Peggy and Sandra got intimate/romantic with her. However Didi was lost or too focused on her own pleasure to appreciate their time together.

And if Lynn has a difficult time getting Didi off, I'd bet a dozen donuts that Lynn would communicate with (edit) Didi what would please her. That should kickstart Didi's brain to what Kiley brought up about her orgasm issues. Bang, problem solved. Unless, of course, Didi freaks out and channels Lynn's pin-themed sexual advances as a horror movie flashback.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I completely forgot about that. Didi may be literally getting into bed with the personification of her greatest fear.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Kind of appreciate how Lynn's seducing is.. quite literally straight forward. Stated in clear terms that she would. and stated in clear terms why she wanted to wrestle with her.

HappyFriar

Post by HappyFriar »

brasca wrote:
I think that the 'emotional connection' thing needs some re-wording. Didi met Kiley THAT DAY and had her magic O-card stamped. That's not much of an emotional connection there. Didi just needs to THINK she has an emotional connection with someone, and since she's about as deep as a kiddie pool, people don't need to wade in very far.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

tomlouie wrote:

Haha... you remind me of this old movie, Tootsie...

there's a scene where Dustin Hoffman (in drag, pretending to be a woman) talks with Jessica Lange on this selfsame subject... and she tells him more or less this:

"I meet lots of men who lust after me, but they're all wimps who just pussyfoot around... it's so pathetic... like, they cajole me, pretend they want to be my friends, try to act gentlemanly, don't touch me, don't mention sex... they can go on like that, beating around the bush, for weeks... wasting my time... I wish I would meet a real man, someone confident and sure of himself, who knows what he wants and isn't afraid to claim it... someone who would come to me and say in my face: 'Oh, babe, you're so HOT! I wanna fuck you!'... ohh, I think I would just swoon into his arms..."

Dustin Hoffman takes note of this, and, that evening, he goes to a party (this time dressed as a man, wearing a suit) and he meets Jessica Lange again (she doesn't recognize him cuz he's out of drag) and he goes to her and confidently serves her the 'wanna fuck you' line.....
... she throws her drink in his face and is like "Ugh, fuck off, you CREEP!"

I guess the moral is, there's no point in asking what lines work best on a woman... and you shouldn't pay attention to the replies you got, cuz those repliers don't know the answer... noone knows... not even the women... sometimes we think we want certain things from a man and when it finally happens we are disgusted & furious... just like Jessica Lange in that movie... if you wanna come on to a woman, the only realistic advice is: play it by ear and hope you're lucky......

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Tootsie, that's a classic...

Bill Maher was precisely talking about this in his new rules segment 2 weeks ago "We have been getting the message from movies and other medium that this is what women want... Because this is what women want, but only from the man they want it from, the problem is we don't know which one we are".
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

And the creators continue to draw out this "will they or won't they" subplot between these two unlikable characters. Ruby's return in SDB (and Kiley's return in this comic for that matter) better be worth this very long wait.

brasca

Post by brasca »

HappyFriar wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am
brasca wrote:
I think that the 'emotional connection' thing needs some re-wording. Didi met Kiley THAT DAY and had her magic O-card stamped. That's not much of an emotional connection there. Didi just needs to THINK she has an emotional connection with someone, and since she's about as deep as a kiddie pool, people don't need to wade in very far.
True, and it's so simple many of her former lovers would be amazed that they didn't think of it themselves, but unless Lynn knows that secret she may very well be joining a conga line of people who fell short in the bedroom.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

“Simple” is overstating it; Kiley had to (accidentally) come up with a fair bit of romantic bafflegab, and DiDi had to persuade herself she was in love with Zii, and then both of them still had to work on the physical stimulation for quite some time to get the important result.

Given DiDi’s tendency to induce extreme excitement and premature ejaculation in men, and the fact that none of them knew there was even a problem, it’s hardly surprising that none of them came up with this.

What may happen here is that DiDi may discover that there’s more than one path to sufficient passionate excitement — as Yuki once nearly demonstrated with a spatula.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 am
Lynn still managed to fall into her usual sleaze at the end though, but I suppose that is to be expected.
Being honest and up front makes her a sleaze? I don't think the word mean what you think it means.
Yes, it does. She explicitly stated how her wrestling pins could correlate to pinning DiDi in bed. Don't condescend to me, please.