Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

27-02-18 Someone who can be there

Post by Giz »

Zippy

Re: 27-02-18 Someone who can be there

Post by Zippy »

Well, Lynn recovered from being Didied (1)* quickly enough.

*"to Didi", v. (1.) To have an illogical or irrational statement or question presented to you, based on a misreading of what you have said, in such a way as to leave you dumbfounded
(2.) To draw one to large breasts, cf. "A moth to a flame."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And, as ever, even when DiDi is being nice, she manages to be cruel. Anyhow, I guess that G&D reckoned that we needed a little more detail on the Lynn-Annette situation, complete with an explanation as to why Lynn isn't staying with Annette tonight. Also, credit to Giz for getting Lynn's recollection of Annette dead on as described.

Meanwhile, I think that DiDi's last speech bubble there demonstrates why her strangled franglais so often seems a bit off. I'm sure that plenty of French speakers slip the odd French word in when speaking English, but they'd be words that the speaker couldn't remember the English for; DiDi's French inclusions so often disrupt the flow of her speech, and are easy translations which even a dim bulb like DiDi could manage. It's like a computer program is translating words entirely at random, with no regard to how people actually speak in any language. "I hope elle will find" has badly broken rhythm; I can't imagine anyone would say that by accident. "J'espère that she will find" might have worked better.

Anyhow, excessive analysis done.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

And it is this type of interaction that makes me not vilify Lynn for trying to disrupt Didi & Zii's relationship (such that it is). Lynn is human, plain and simple. She is lonely and wants to get a more stable relationship. Reading between the lines of dialogue she wants to get close to someone, instead of just having infrequent sexy-fun times. I am not ruling out Lynn being a master at kayfabe, nor am I denying that she is manipulative. She could heel-turn, although I don't fathom why if she can acquire Didi for her evil boss & for her own intimacies. If anything, she is being more open & honest than anyone Didi has communicated with, even Kiley. She isn't pawing at Didi. She isn't giving her longing stares, even at her bosom. Lynn is treating her like an adult human being, not a science experiment & psychological aid like Kiley did. Her advice is rock solid. She is being transparent with the benefits & drawbacks of an open relationship, from her own experience as well. Granted, she has not directly invited Didi into her bed (or some other blatantly obvious action). Hell, I don't think Lynn has even reached across the table and tried to hold her hand... even sympathetically for Didi's plight. I'd be willing to say that no other character has given Didi this level of respect for being a human being (as opposed to a walking pair of breasts.)

Another interesting point to bring up is that Lynn also seems to be mostly immune to the Didi effect. Granted, she is chasing after Didi but then that is her particular plot role. But she is not flushed at all. We haven't read a strip with her in a dream sequence fantasizing about making love with Didi. She is able to maintain a civil mind despite sharing the same oxygen as Didi. And she's not fixated on her massive boobs, like how early-Zii did. Lynn is looking at Didi as a whole person, which one could argue even Zii hasn't done much of.

I expect Lynn will try to neatly table their current conversation with some wrestling or exercise. You know... to get their minds off of their problems. That way she can gauge Didi's wrestling skills as well as get some endorphins pumping. Lynn will drop the job offer, or an introduction to such an offer from the 'evil boss'. And Lynn will be her only friend in this new whirlwind wrestling lifestyle. Voila. Bed buddies eventually.

If Didi wanted to remain loyal to Zii, she would have talked with Zii over what Didi overheard Zii reveal. Currently, her loyalty is to her orgasms. There is enough of a physical similarity between Kiley & Zii & Lynn that Didi could physically become attracted to Lynn. I think that Didi is just trying to logically hold onto her lover Zii while her heart is too confused to know what to do.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm
I expect Lynn will try to neatly table their current conversation with some wrestling or exercise. You know... to get their minds off of their problems. That way she can gauge Didi's wrestling skills as well as get some endorphins pumping. Lynn will drop the job offer, or an introduction to such an offer from the 'evil boss'. And Lynn will be her only friend in this new whirlwind wrestling lifestyle. Voila. Bed buddies eventually.
Good thought, and actually pointing to a way that Lynn might seduce DiDi sooner than "eventually". DiDi needs an emotional bond with a bed partner, but she's crap at understanding emotions. If Lynn can get DiDi working hard, focussed on matching her raw strength against Lyn's doubtless high physical skills, DiDi might just find that she's suffering a rush of complicating emotions. Bonus points if Lynn unexpectedly kisses DiDi while one of them has the other pinned -- and DiDi finds she likes it far too much.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

That reminds me of when Yuki had Didi tied up and was spanking her with the spatula. Didi was at Yuki's mercy. Didi got flushed and was probably confused at the emotions swirling inside her. That scenario sounds promising indeed.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Another interesting point to bring up is that Lynn also seems to be mostly immune to the Didi effect. Granted, she is chasing after Didi but then that is her particular plot role. But she is not flushed at all. We haven't read a strip with her in a dream sequence fantasizing about making love with Didi. She is able to maintain a civil mind despite sharing the same oxygen as Didi. And she's not fixated on her massive boobs, like how early-Zii did. Lynn is looking at Didi as a whole person, which one could argue even Zii hasn't done much of.
I don't buy it. I think the reason she is not with her tongue out is because she is more level-headed than Zii (we know how her libido has caused her a lot of problems), but remember, when Maura, Tess and Didi wanted to meet her, she signed Maura & Tess chests and put her phone number in Didi's boobs without thinking that it would backfire into a zillion calls to her cell, and this was before she knew that Didi was into wrestling.
worldshaking00 wrote:
That's a great point. And since we're approaching the end of the book, we may be seeing Didi being bed buddies (or more) with Lynn and hired in the WW3 with the consequence of her breaking up with Zii and moving out of the apartment. We'll see...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Really, Didi never manages to disappoint me ! =))

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Is Annette an expy from C-verse?

(On the subject, is Damien an adult Kade? He has the looks, and character-wise he has the chickmagnet/playboy shtick as well.)
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Ah yes, Didi wants to protect Annette from someone using her sexually as casually and carelessly as Didi used practically the entire population of Montreal for her entire adult life until the last few weeks.

It's probably good that she is dumb and considers herself sweet, because otherwise she might have problems living with the realization of what a sociopathic monster she has been.

Maybe I'm being a little unkind. I haven't re-read the first few hundred strips in a while.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Am I the only one who can rarely understand what DiDi is actually saying?
like.. I totally have no clue what she said or meant to say in the last half

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

christopheftw wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm
Ah yes, Didi wants to protect Annette from someone using her sexually as casually and carelessly as Didi used practically the entire population of Montreal for her entire adult life until the last few weeks.

It's probably good that she is dumb and considers herself sweet, because otherwise she might have problems living with the realization of what a sociopathic monster she has been.

Maybe I'm being a little unkind. I haven't re-read the first few hundred strips in a while.
No no — she only used half the afult population of Montreal until the last few weeks.

She’s now graduated to the other half.

(As to how nice she ever was — I think that X3N0-Life-Form nailed it a couple of weeks ago. DiDi was initially honestly written as a good-hearted if bubble-brained sex bomb who just unfortunately caused premature ejaculation in her lovers. But the need to extend that joke caused a whole lot of added complications, most of which ended up reflecting badly on her. As a result, the picture of DiDi has ended up like the one of Dorian Grey, distorted into a monster.)
Zellgato wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52 pm
Am I the only one who can rarely understand what DiDi is actually saying?
like.. I totally have no clue what she said or meant to say in the last half
Presumably you don’t know any French at all. Fair enough.
Comprendre = understand.
Elle = she.
L’amour = love.
Aussi = also.
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Here we are at the end of February and we are still stuck on Didi and the wrestling arc. I'm only still reading for the art and the hope that we get back to the other characters that have been out of the comic for a while.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 pm
(As to how nice she ever was — I think that X3N0-Life-Form nailed it a couple of weeks ago. DiDi was initially honestly written as a good-hearted if bubble-brained sex bomb who just unfortunately caused premature ejaculation in her lovers. But the need to extend that joke caused a whole lot of added complications, most of which ended up reflecting badly on her. As a result, the picture of DiDi has ended up like the one of Dorian Grey, distorted into a monster.)
Does that mean she'll go back to normal if we stab her down the middle? :p

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

samtheman wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 am
Here we are at the end of February and we are still stuck on Didi and the wrestling arc. I'm only still reading for the art and the hope that we get back to the other characters that have been out of the comic for a while.
TBH, I think that whatever happens with Didi will determine several other characters' "happy places" the creative team will end them at. While it isn't my favorite mega-arc of the series, Didi is a pivotal character. Wrestling might very well be her exit strategy or her final chance to seek love (monogamously or polyamorously) with Zii by growing a conscience/growing up. The plot is just using "turnbuckles" and "tap outs" to get us there.

Personally, I am most curious to see where Kiley, Peggy, and Yuki end up in relation to Gary. And if Zii and Gary ever actually get it on (even if ever only once).