20-02-18 Six months ago

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 20-02-18 Six months ago

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, she said she was just 18. But the principle holds.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Fluffy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 pm
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 pm
Maybe she was just going to get some air, and do exactly that, given that she's surprised to see Lynn is still here. Until the next strip drops we won't know for sure.
True. But, keep in mind, this is Didi we're talking about; someone who thinks her relationship with Zii is in danger because Zii hasn't serviced her in three days - and just heard Zii say she doesn't like sex, anymore.

I'd honestly be shocked if Didi isn't getting rebound sex from Lynn by Saturday's strip.
Well what can I say, Fluffy? I'm stuck with this silly little webcomic all the way to the final strip, since if emotional investment doesn't keep me coming back curiosity will. I'm sure you of all people can appreciate that, what with being a long-suffering spouse to Dangerously Chloe! and all. And since I tried the bored apathy route and that didn't work out for me, I'm looking at returning to cautious optimism. Given sufficient motivation and a ridiculous or serious enough situation, Gary near-literally grew a spine and Zii made the decision to stop listening to her tactless libido; we've all snarked that it would be a cold day in Hell before either happened, yet here we are. And maybe you're right. Maybe Giz and Dave will keep trotting her out as the perpetrator of selfish bimbo jokes they don't seem to realise some of us haven't laughed at in years. But maybe this is just the setup for DiDi to have her own moment of character growth, one she could use more than any single member of the cast except maybe Matt and Yuki. I guess we'll find out shortly enough by my standards.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:50 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 pm
She is, after all, desperately trying to avoid a likely damaging affair with a barely legal girl, who is either naïve or stupid enough to want sex "to strengthen the band" (granted, perhaps she is simply using it as fib to bed her idol).
I'm actually a bit confused here. Isn't Izz 19 and Zii 24? Do you say barely legal relationship, when it's a 16 and 17? 18 and 21? That statement is just confusing. :p
As Spidrift noted, Izz recently turned 18. Regardless of age of consent laws, 18 is judged as the age when one is a legally an adult. Anyways, I'm surprised that was the point someone took issue with in my lengthy rant. :))

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I agreed with most the rest of it :p

I never felt there was any love between Zii and Didi. Just lust on Zii's part and Didi being dumb. Some friendship moments doesn't mean love at all.

Zii's been a user for most if not all the comic. Maybe she's realizing it now. :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:32 am
Maybe Giz and Dave will keep trotting her out as the perpetrator of selfish bimbo jokes they don't seem to realise some of us haven't laughed at in years. But maybe this is just the setup for DiDi to have her own moment of character growth, one she could use more than any single member of the cast except maybe Matt and Yuki.
(1) Giz and Dave have proved perfectly willing to keep repeating some jokes until the dead horse is beaten to steak tartare. (“I’m not a lesbian.”) DiDi being a bimbo at least represents character consistency.

(2) Expected or not, the growth we’ve seen so far from other characters hasn’t been totally out of the blue. Gary has always shown a little wit and willingness to snap back if pushed far enough, and had his biggest excuse for self-pity — his virginity — comprehensively removed, so seeing him growing towards full human status is fairly logical. Zii was never entirely stupid, and was always able to admit when she made a big enough mistake, so seeing her admit that she needed to change, after suffering something as traumatic as the loss of her band and two good friendships, is again quite in keeping. DiDi, on the other hand, has always been stupid, thoughtless, and incapable of true empathy, and has if anything got worse rather than better, as her veneer of sentimental niceness has peeled off. Maybe Giz and Dave have some big character reformation planned for her; who knows? (Well, TCampbell may.) But it’ll be far bigger twist than those other two, and far harder to make plausible.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Yes, I know all that, Spidrift. We've discussed this matter to death, and I'm still not interested in debating it with you any further, much less which characters are likeable or not or likely to change. All I know is that if DiDi finds a way in the future to actually grow into a goddamn good person at long last, the pleasantry of it and the possible storylines that could be wrung from it would matter far more to me than consistency or plausibility. So pardon me if I'm not willing to cash in my pessimism chips just yet on the one member of the central three who has yet to grow where the other two did.

Edit: All of our expectations will just have to wait until Saturday at the earliest it seems, since today's strip is sticking with Zii and Izz. Oh well.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

For someone who isn’t interested in debating or talking about various subjects, you take an awful lot of opportunities to talk about them.
---------
Spidrift

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Well, it's a complicated process. For a while back there, I tried to keep myself emotionally distanced from the comic so that incidents like our massive, multi-page, multi-quote fight over Sonya and DiDi wouldn't happen again. That was exhausting and emotionally-draining and at the time I had too much stress IRL for it to be worth anything, and since I had kind of accepted the central conceit was something we just weren't going to agree upon I conceded the argument, but it still pissed me off seeing everyone say the same things. I think all the "I'm not interested in debating this" was just a coping mechanism to keep my argumentative side in check (i.e. if I said I didn't want to fight about it and then fought about it, I'd look like a complete fool and a hypocrite). I'm done with all that, except the aforementioned matter of Sonya and DiDi and whether it's hypocritical or not to like one but not the other, which I'm simply categorising under agree to disagree and don't want a repeat of. Don't know if any of that makes sense.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

First, lmao at the Married With Children joke. Second, I'm still thinking that Didi is going to dump Zii by text message no less.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Now, I have to admit, I essentially grew up without television, so I did not initially get the MwC reference - but as soon as I saw "Al Bundy" it clicked. I love how Zal Bundy is even manspreading it on the couch!!

For once, can't blame DiDi that she thinks zi is on the phone. Izz is not saying anything, after all, and it's more plausible Zii is calling someone than talking with someone directly. (Though, yes, it might be Gary.)

I personally like how Lynn has a Matt "I really am a bastard." moment there. Carry on.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)