15-02-18 Things are not clicking yet

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 15-02-18 Things are not clicking yet

Post by Spidrift »

I think that the Ma3 universe doesn't work that way. You're projecting low-drama soap opera fanfic onto high-drama sex comedy. It doesn't fit.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Prydonian wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:26 am
Genuinely a bit disappointed to see Gary’s genuinely into being pegged. The webcomic world seems to be completely dismissive of people who are just boring ol’ straight.
Lots of straight guys like pegging. It, and the prostate stimulation it provides, are not indicative of sexual orientation. Without the wrong assumption that getting pegged is gay or bi, your post just seems to indicate you value boringness in sex. No thank you.

But yes, we all agree that the Ma3 world of urban Canadian young 20 somethings tends not to be representative of real world sexual orientation percentages. How sad for a dominant majority to find a pretend world where it is not dominant. It must be very difficult and oppressive.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Um . . . I don't think Gary is getting pegged at the moment. Unless he can motorboat while being bent over. Is missionary style even possible with pegging?

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Heh, now that's a good question. I can totally see two characters in the Ma3-world asking themselves the same question... and then getting naked and grabbing some toys to experiment with each other and find the answer. B-)

But, as for Gary and Peggy, I think we have to assume they switched positions at some point in the strip. When Gary says "Oh, Peggy! Deeper!" he's obviously being pegged. When Gary later asks to motorboat Peggy, we have to understand pegging is over and Gary has turned around -- the two of them are face to face now and ready to have missionary-style sex.

We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Sounds about right. Although they must have changed positions in record time. I mean, they basically had to perform a role reversal in two panels.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bear in mind that both have been trained by Matt. Also remember things like Sonya’s ability to borrow the jacket that Zii was wearing, and put it on, in the time that Erik took to walk through a door.

It’s the powerrrrrrrrr of lurvvvvvvvve...

For those of us who lack sex ninja training, though, it has to be said that a lot of the appeal of statistically normal sexual activities is that they just work, without sprains, strangulation, or much need for special equipment.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

sukebe senpai wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm
That “ship” is a small pleasure launch that was never designed to put to sea. The really nice thing about it is that they both seem to take the “friends with benefits” idea seriously. It could end any time withno great heartache.
It could end, but there's another possibility: We've seen that, pegging aside (which they clearly both enjoy very much), Peggy does care about Gary as a person: She cares about how he feels, about what's fair for him, and I read her behavior towards him as not just lustful, but affectionate. This, in my book, is a very good base for a solid, tender relationship. And Gary, dorkiness aside, has a gentle and kind side that, with Peggy's affectionate guidance, can be nurtured. I don't really care much about the relationships of the other characters in the Ma3 universe, to be honest. I'd really like to see the Gary-Peggy relationship get stronger, with Gary growing into a more balanced character than before, who could probably act as the good, secure, dependable friend, who is no longer needy or whiney, but instead acts as some sort of "voice of reason" for the others. Perhaps even puzzling them, as they end up wanting him (quite a departure from how the comic started), but having to put up with the fact that this ship has sailed. What do you think?
I think you just hit the nail on the head, right and proper. Ma3 is a realistic comedy, not an absurd comedy; personalities and behaviors are exaggerated, not otherworldly. It ensues that a Gary-Peggy romance can perfectly happen -- because they really like each other, and, as somebody once said, like can lead to like-like and like-like can lead to love. Yup. Sure as the stars above.

(I'd surmise that Spidrift's reply to your message is further proof of that: when someone can do no better to oppose your conclusions than snort a two-line diss, it means you have won the argument. Image )
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

I think that it kind of depends on the note that the creators want to end it. I've always kind of viewed Ma3 as an exagerated sitcom. And while sitcom's bread and butter is comedically unlikely scenarious, my experience is that the series almost universally end on a sentimental note. Ma3 may turn out to be an exception, but I personally think that they'll try to end the series on a note that is satisfying for all the characters; which will be quite a feat, given all the things up in the air

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The other thing to do is look at the creators' past records -- which have tended to involve open-ended conclusions ("the adventure continues" endings, if one is being generous), with a little bit of conclusive sentimentality for some of the leading characters, but also a fair number of loose ends. Less an ending note than an orchestral fade-out.

Ma3 may or may not wrap the same way -- but as you say, there may currently be less than a hundred strips to go, and there are a heck of a lot of balls in the air.
---------
Spidrift

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm
Rosa wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 pm
Going by the posts at the time of her series debut, most people seemed to have her pegged as a "psycho stalker" made of "concentrated evil" who should be "burned with fire" before she completed her "machiavellian" plan. Those are literal quotes. :( I never really got it. Well, okay, she changed all of Zii's locks without asking first and that did make her look bad, but to me that was just comedy fare and not to be taken seriously. To me, she always was just a cute, innocent fangirl.
She’s definitely a comedy character. (Duh. This is a comedy.) But she tends to be written as, well, a comedy psycho stalker. It sometimes looks with her like we’re getting deliberate Single White Female references. (It’s the hairstyle.) Stuff like changing the locks and cross-examining Gary for personal data on Zii takes an extra-heavy comedy filter not to look scary-crazy.
I've always found those movies deeply disturbing... the movies, not the psycho characters in the movies... it's disturbing that there are people who make movies such as those... Poison Ivy, or Single White Female, or lotsa others along the same lines...

The basic idea is that if a girl feels an intense liking towards another girl, it can only mean that she is 1) a total lesbian, 2) possessive, stalkerish, bitchy & jealous, and 3) deranged, psycho, violent and murderous... and btw 1 seems to imply 2 & 3 in the mind of the sicko scriptwiters... I find impossible to suspend disbelief when I watch these crappy movies... the so-called 'stories' are just a twisted tangle of ultraconservative fears & prejudices with zero realism......

I think Giz is teasing the genre-savvy readers with the character of Izz... y'know, those readers who've learned all the movie clichés... when Giz introduced Izz, she knew that they would all go 'OMG she's like that girl in SWF she must be PSYCHO everyone run for the hills!'... she knew they would be, from that point on, eagerly waiting for Izz to start stabbing people... I think Giz is having a lot of fun playing with them like that... cuz, actually, Izz is just a cute & clumsy fangirl who really likes Zii and has a poor sense of boundaries... that's all......

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

ya know, i completely didnt include zii in my bet-making. TARNATION!! welp...my guess is still Zii finally wont do it, but Didi will????

the cheater will be the cheatee this time......

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:27 pm
The other thing to do is look at the creators' past records -- which have tended to involve open-ended conclusions ("the adventure continues" endings, if one is being generous), with a little bit of conclusive sentimentality for some of the leading characters, but also a fair number of loose ends.
Indeed, Giz & co. specialize in slice-of-life stories, and that type of ending is typical of the genre. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind, but it can be quite unsatisfying when it's not expected. You've all been warned ;-) .

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:03 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm
Rosa wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 pm
Going by the posts at the time of her series debut, most people seemed to have her pegged as a "psycho stalker" made of "concentrated evil" who should be "burned with fire" before she completed her "machiavellian" plan. Those are literal quotes. :( I never really got it. Well, okay, she changed all of Zii's locks without asking first and that did make her look bad, but to me that was just comedy fare and not to be taken seriously. To me, she always was just a cute, innocent fangirl.
She’s definitely a comedy character. (Duh. This is a comedy.) But she tends to be written as, well, a comedy psycho stalker. It sometimes looks with her like we’re getting deliberate Single White Female references. (It’s the hairstyle.) Stuff like changing the locks and cross-examining Gary for personal data on Zii takes an extra-heavy comedy filter not to look scary-crazy.
I've always found those movies deeply disturbing... the movies, not the psycho characters in the movies... it's disturbing that there are people who make movies such as those... Poison Ivy, or Single White Female, or lotsa others along the same lines...

The basic idea is that if a girl feels an intense liking towards another girl, it can only mean that she is 1) a total lesbian, 2) possessive, stalkerish, bitchy & jealous, and 3) deranged, psycho, violent and murderous... and btw 1 seems to imply 2 & 3 in the mind of the sicko scriptwiters... I find impossible to suspend disbelief when I watch these crappy movies... the so-called 'stories' are just a twisted tangle of ultraconservative fears & prejudices with zero realism......

I think Giz is teasing the genre-savvy readers with the character of Izz... y'know, those readers who've learned all the movie clichés... when Giz introduced Izz, she knew that they would all go 'OMG she's like that girl in SWF she must be PSYCHO everyone run for the hills!'... she knew they would be, from that point on, eagerly waiting for Izz to start stabbing people... I think Giz is having a lot of fun playing with them like that... cuz, actually, Izz is just a cute & clumsy fangirl who really likes Zii and has a poor sense of boundaries... that's all......
Thank you FGF
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I have to say I am delighted that Zii's "very auduble inner demon voice" is provided by Gary and Peggy having sex. W00h00!!

PS.: Happy birthday to me, at least when this strip was published.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)