13-02-18 Serious about your partner

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Ophelianime

Re: 13-02-18 Serious about your partner

Post by Ophelianime »

MoonshadowDark wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm
Brooke kind of is a total bitch in this universe, huh?

Do you think Blair the Doll is a little person wrestler in this universe too?
Again, Brooke became kind of a bitch in EC too. In fact, I can kind of see Brooke growing into Lynne.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

"What's her job?"
"She is une musicienne rock."

I cry foul.

DiDi's answer should have been: "She is une vendeuse at a comic shop."

Seriously, people in this 'verse seem incapable of telling the difference between playing rock music as a hobby (with a dream to go pro one day) and being a bona fide rock musician who makes a living from tours and records.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Vitocap wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm
"What's her job?"

I cry foul.

Seriously, people in this 'verse seem incapable of telling the difference between playing rock music as a hobby (with a dream to go pro one day) and being a bona fide rock musician who makes a living from tours and records.
To be fair, there can be a difference between what you consider your true career and what you have to do in order to support yourself. She might (if it weren't for her Didi distractions) fully focus on the band if she didn't have to worry about things like rent (assuming she's back to chipping in), eating, ect. Much as I would focus fully on my writing if I didn't have to worry about those things myself. I still consider myself a writer, even though what I do for a living is called being a sign artisan. It's not unlike the difference between what you consider your true gender and the sex you happen to be physically.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

For most normal people, Lynn's commentary would be spot on. Although I can't vouch for open relationships as a potential fix, long distance relationships are rough. It is the timing of Lynn's meeting Didi that will give her extra power over her. That and their mutual sport.

I am curious how Lynn will discover (or uncover) Didi's need for an emotional connection to achieve orgasm, and if Didi will be able to find ways to compensate. Having mental imagery of other handsome partners ravishing her (and Gary popping up in there too) did not help. I wonder if it has to be strong adoration, or if other emotions could do the trick. Getting paddled by Yuki got Didi flustered. She gets quite emotional during the scarier parts of a horror movie, and with a movie star near her perhaps fame can create that bond? We'll see, I guess.

Lynn is a great character. She is devious and cunning. She reminds me of a Sonya who is much more certain and much less melodramatic. Is she an opportunist and antagonist. Absolutely! She's the best kind of antagonist because we have been given a glimpse of her lifestyle and realize she is still human, and maybe we can relate with her (she dislikes her boss, wants a stable sex life/partner, can get embarrassed, etc.). But then, having our main three protagonists (Gary, Zii, and Didi) orbiting around the others and sometimes being antagonistic to the others blurs the lines of 'good' & 'bad'. I think it is a bit of overkill to use a character such as Lynn to break apart Didi & Zii. The fact that Zii lost her band because of Zii being her own worst enemy is doing a fine job. Zii, while a horn-dog, needs her space and to be able to process her future. Didi is living in the now, right now, now.

I hope we get to a strip where Zii wonders if her infatuation with Didi was really lust-filled, and now that she 'has' Didi she is coming down off of that high. Depending on how far down the 'dark' rabbit hole the creative team wanted to go, I could see Zii really not doing well over losing her band, her friends, and then the woman she thought she loved (and who loved her), Didi. Insert cliche Prince Charming Gary if you will.

But as has been pointed out, Didi is also not logical and Lynn is stumbling into unknown unscouted territory concerning Didi's orgasm needs and how magically hyper-sexual Gary's apartment is. Can Lynn's plans survive the Bermuda Triangle-like effects of the apartment, or Didi's amour for Zii? Without Didi getting some adult supervision, signs are looking good for Lynn. But what if stupidity prevails and Didi is able to actually communicate with Zii? Maybe Zii would be fine with an open relationship? I don't think Lynn was looking for a life partner, but rather just a more frequent fuck-buddy who can handle her bedroom uniqueness (whatever the heck that is.)

LOVED the last image of Didi, and the ramifications that Lynn will be able to read off of that face. Pictures are worth 1000 words. Thanks Giz.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Slam dunk for Ms. Brook.

It won't be long now.

Mutant for Hire

Post by Mutant for Hire »

To people saying what Lynn did was unethical, I would argue that she actually took the least unethical action here. She actually gave advice for how DiDi and Zii to keep their relationship together. The really unethical thing to do would be to keep silence about this iceberg to their relationship over the horizon and let them crack up of their own regard. Or she could have advised them to break up, the relationship was doomed. The fact is, she did give the best possible advice under the circumstances. The fact that there were benefits for her personally does not mean her advice was at the expense of others. If anything, I can't think of any more helpful advice she could have given here.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Ophelianime wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm
To be fair, there can be a difference between what you consider your true career and what you have to do in order to support yourself. She might (if it weren't for her Didi distractions) fully focus on the band if she didn't have to worry about things like rent (assuming she's back to chipping in), eating, etc.
Of course, but my point is that you should make a clear distinction between your hopes and dreams, your hobbies, your creative activities, and your actual gainful occupation. I don't know about other countries, but here, where I live, if you want to get a passport or a police certificate and, when filling the official form, at the part where you must state your current job, you put down "writer" when you actually work as a sign artisan, you could get in a world of trouble.

IMHO, Lynn's question "What's her job?" obviously inquired about Zii's employment.
Last edited by Vitocap on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Mutant for Hire wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 pm
To people saying what Lynn did was unethical, I would argue that she actually took the least unethical action here. She actually gave advice for how DiDi and Zii to keep their relationship together. The really unethical thing to do would be to keep silence about this iceberg to their relationship over the horizon and let them crack up of their own regard. Or she could have advised them to break up, the relationship was doomed. The fact is, she did give the best possible advice under the circumstances. The fact that there were benefits for her personally does not mean her advice was at the expense of others. If anything, I can't think of any more helpful advice she could have given here.
Plus Didi and Zii's relationship is already on thin ice.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

What I want to know is, why does the get-shit-done kind of intelligence correlate to short hairstyles on women in the Ma3 universe?

Or perhaps I just want to see Lynn, Kiley, Peggy, and Ruby hanging out in a cocktail bar, laughing at the rest of the cast. (“Text message through the fourth wall. G & D need to wrap this comic in a hundred strips. Votes on how we do it?”)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Vitocap wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm
"What's her job?"

I cry foul.

Does Didi even know about Zii's job at the comic shop?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She was there when Zii hooked the job. Heck, Zii snogged her as part of the process.

But to be fair to DiDi, I think that she’s really only describing how her lover sees herself. Zii defines herself as a musician, not as a shopworker. Of course, one might call Zii a tiny bit self-deluding.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Vitocap wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 pm
IMHO, Lynn's question "What's her job?" obviously inquired about Zii's employment.
Well yeah but, it wasn’t a job interview, or a passport application, and Lynn doesn’t work for the Canada Department of Records or anything. This was a completely informal conversation. The answer wasn’t going into her permanent record, for crying out loud. :P

Didi gave the answer that best fit her picture of Zii. She doesn’t see her as a cashier at a comic shop, she sees her as a rock star.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm
Pretty sure we already have. In a flashback where Amber and Zii were fooling around when they were teenagers, Blair was a doll on the bed.
Oh, you're right. I just checked, and that was Blair all right!

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/You_ ... is_on_tape

Nice detail to notice: because of the pov angle, it looks like Blair is watching the lesbian show and loving it!
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 pm
She was there when Zii hooked the job. Heck, Zii snogged her as part of the process.

But to be fair to DiDi, I think that she’s really only describing how her lover sees herself. Zii defines herself as a musician, not as a shopworker. Of course, one might call Zii a tiny bit self-deluding.
Does Chastel even remember that day? It wasn't really about her... [/sarcasm]

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Especially considering who her current bandmates are.