27-01-18 At one time

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Alice Macher

Re: 27-01-18 At one time

Post by Alice Macher »

Yes, she has, once, when particularly frustrated and angry. Those are definitely vulgar terms she's using for the male and female genitalia.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yep, she previously only got that vulgar when provoked by frustration and Yuki.

Hmm. Wild-ass guess that’s probably way off; the francophone in the writing team is distracted (hopefully by working on SDB), so the other team member got to attempt to write in French this week...
Last edited by Spidrift on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Frustrated Didi is never a good thing.

Perhaps Zii has just lost her immediate fascination with Didi. She has other life choices to make (her band and, realistically, a new place to crash at since she skipped out of the apartment as a roomie and is now more of a guest of Didi's) now that she feels she's won her prize AND that her prize won't skip out on her because Zii has a massive ego. When Zii wants an orgasm, let's see if Didi will be there.

As far as how Didi will deal with her frustrations, I wouldn't be surprised if she takes a trip to the wrestling training center and bumps into someone. Or maybe she'll revisit the showers and take a cold one. Personally, I hope we get the plot moving along quickly enough without it becoming too much of a train wreck.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Linnah wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:58 pm
What was weirder for me was Didi calling her breasts "Tétons". I'm not French speaker, but if the word is the same as the one it sounds like in Spanish -and- Portuguese, it's a very vulgar slang. As one can imagine, I believe it means 'Huge/Big tits'. I can't really imagine Di casually saying "I took a shower and it faded off my huge tits". She can be dumb, but she never really acted vulgar like that, has she?

Considering that Didi had every intention of having sex with Zii that night; maybe she used that term as a form of dirty talk when addressing her 'bad lesbienne'.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm
We probably ought to remember that this comic has two writers (only one of whom seems to be francophone, though for that matter a francophone may have funny ideas about what anglophones expect in comedy franglais). Different bits of DiDi’s dialogue probably are written by different people.
We both speak French and went to school in French. Dave knows his English from his father's side (who was English) and I know mine from my mother's side (as half her family speaks English mostly.)
Linnah wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:58 pm
What was weirder for me was Didi calling her breasts "Tétons". I'm not French speaker, but if the word is the same as the one it sounds like in Spanish -and- Portuguese, it's a very vulgar slang. As one can imagine, I believe it means 'Huge/Big tits'. I can't really imagine Di casually saying "I took a shower and it faded off my huge tits". She can be dumb, but she never really acted vulgar like that, has she?
We have it written as tétons, but technically, in Québec it's pronounced "totons" and it's very common use, like saying boobs. You wouldn't bat an eye if you heard someone say it. It's probably one of the more polite slangs. For huge tits, in Québec, you'd say "gros jos". You CAN say "gros totons" (gros=big/huge) too but for me "gros jos" sounds more vulgar. Again, that's just me though.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

My apologies to Dave01. I somehow had the impression that he was more anglophone.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Thanks for the lesson Giz. Very informative.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Jobe00

Post by Jobe00 »

Azrael wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:13 pm
That moment when you realize Wyoming's Grand Teton actually translates to Big Tit Mountain. #-o
This is a bit of trivia I’ve known for years.
"The future ain't what it used to be."
-Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Jobe
"Universes Exist in My Mind."

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Note also that in French from France, "téton" simply means "nipple" and is not at all vulgar, not even slang.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Actually, in French from France, "téton" does mean "sein" -- that is, breast. Here's a Larousse link:

http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/fr ... 9ton/77548

I do agree that the word is rarely used. In French from France, "nichon" would be most people's choice.

On a separate note, I find it hilarious that anyone could have thought that the authors of Ma3 cannot speak correct French. They set their comic in Montréal, people. Image
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

Ohh, so that explains it. Thanks for the explanation Giz! Being a portuguese/spanish speaker myself, I instantly thought the expression was a lot more vulgar; in Portuguese it'd be "Tetões" or "Tetonas" for example.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, the subtleties of breast terminology...
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Language is a wonderful and interesting subject of study. :)

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

A part of me really wants to say something about the posts on this thread. (Before the fascinating education on French words for knockers, obviously.) To protest, to argue, to remind people the badness of certain people doesn't excuse the badness of another certain person, to hope we see some redeeming qualities come to the surface... But that's only a part of me. The rest of me just isn't up to the arguments that might ensue and even now, I don't have anything new, interesting or insightful to say that I haven't said a thousand times before, and I get the feeling my views are in the minority anyway. On the really bad days, I worry I never had anything interesting or insightful to say in the first place.

So overall, I'm just not up to any further debates on this subject. Some days I really wish I was, but I'm not. *sigh*

At least the art is nice in this comic, though. That's something.

xetalon

Post by xetalon »

Vitocap wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 am
Actually, in French from France, "téton" does mean "sein" -- that is, breast. Here's a Larousse link:

http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/fr ... 9ton/77548

I do agree that the word is rarely used. In French from France, "nichon" would be most people's choice.
Well, there are so much ways to say it, "nénés", "nibards", "lolos", "miches", "balcon", "melon" and so on, you can never be sure about how it will be called until the word is chosen. This being said, being French myself, I've never heard someone uses "tétons" for breast.
On a separate note, I find it hilarious that anyone could have thought that the authors of Ma3 cannot speak correct French. They set their comic in Montréal, people. Image
Well, I'm not so sure you can say this, unless you live yourself in Quebec. The way people speak change according to the place they live, even in France there difference in the words chosen (coucou pain au chocolat/chocolatine). The difference between cultures should be respected.