Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

27-01-18 At one time

Post by Giz »

Passing Through

Re: 27-01-18 At one time

Post by Passing Through »

Well it's hard to see this "relationship" lasting much longer.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

(Just to get the obvious predictable gratuitous dig in; four days and one regular comics slot to go before SDB fans can justify themselves for getting all bitter and twisted. But then, Pixietrix announced plans have always been more about hope than reliability.)

Aaaaand yes, it's further emphasis on the fact that this relationship is pretty much doomed, being all about the two characters' senses of entitlement. (DiDi assumes that she's entitled to endless orgasms, Zii assumes that she's always entitled to bed the hottest chick in the room. Neither can ever think in the long term.) Yeah, while they're not being as blatantly horrible as they have been, this story really has stripped their characters down to something really quite unattractive. And while the remaining hundred strips may have enough space to move them into more stable relationships, I think that the comic is going to end without these two ever becoming much better people. Not that I expect morality from Ma3, but it's interesting to see how much of a corner of characterisation it's ending up in. Even with Gary having evolved into some kind of cordate, if not vertebrate.

On the writing side - is it me, or is DiDi's mangled franglais especially bad this time? I'm having difficulty imaging any human being ever actually saying those words -- to the point where they can't really work as a joke for me.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Sounds like SOMEONE needs to understand the difference between a lover's relationship and a sex freindship. Actually though, I think that's a lesson they BOTH need to learn. And if we're all lucky, it'll be the hard way.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

It was obviously a relationship doomed to fail, since two utterly selfish people cannot feasibly sustain proper support for one another, emotional or physical. It is welcoming to see the cracks, to the point where it is almost worth having the entitled egotists hook up in the first place - not close enough perhaps but still.

DiDi's franglais has often been difficult to decipher for me, but at least it isn't written phonetically, which can sometimes work but mostly comes across as annoying and unnecessary.

Bit of a belated point and most likely already addressed, but: Lynn being an "expy" of a snake monster (lamia?) is made a bit too on the nose by having her be an actress playing a snake monster almost identical to the source character.

Alice Macher

Post by Alice Macher »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:25 pm
On the writing side - is it me, or is DiDi's mangled franglais especially bad this time? I'm having difficulty imaging any human being ever actually saying those words -- to the point where they can't really work as a joke for me.
It's not just you. My first reaction upon reading this update was to wonder, half-jokingly, if it was guest-written. I've learned to accept DiDi's usual franglais, even though I've never heard any francophone talk that way, as just part of her "dumb blonde" personality, but her dialogue today is off even for her.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

That moment when you realize Wyoming's Grand Teton actually translates to Big Tit Mountain. #-o
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

'Poo! Now *elle* is une bad lesbienne!'

No, Didi - Zii is a *tired* lesbienne (bisexual, actually - but, semantics).

At least Sonya will be vindicated when this joke of a relationship crash and burns.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

MoonshadowDark

Post by MoonshadowDark »

I wonder what Jung is doing now.

*shot of Jung eating chips*

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Lesbian bed death? Already!?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Alice Macher wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 pm
It's not just you. My first reaction upon reading this update was to wonder, half-jokingly, if it was guest-written. I've learned to accept DiDi's usual franglais, even though I've never heard any francophone talk that way, as just part of her "dumb blonde" personality, but her dialogue today is off even for her.
We probably ought to remember that this comic has two writers (only one of whom seems to be francophone, though for that matter a francophone may have funny ideas about what anglophones expect in comedy franglais). Different bits of DiDi’s dialogue probably are written by different people.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

And then Didi seeks out a man with an awesome chest. It is, apparently, “cheat” day.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Huh. We have actually come to a place where Ms. Nielsen is more human than hornball.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:19 pm
Lesbian bed death? Already!?
Looks like Zii is avoiding sex with DiDi on purpose, yes. I'm starting to suspect something has gone weird in her head. The human mind tends to associate events or feelings that happen at the same time even if they are unrelated. The last time Zii had great sex with DiDi, she lost her band and the friendship of Sonya and Yuki. She might have unconsciously associated "banging DiDi" with "bad things happen".
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

What was weirder for me was Didi calling her breasts "Tétons". I'm not French speaker, but if the word is the same as the one it sounds like in Spanish -and- Portuguese, it's a very vulgar slang. As one can imagine, I believe it means 'Huge/Big tits'. I can't really imagine Di casually saying "I took a shower and it faded off my huge tits". She can be dumb, but she never really acted vulgar like that, has she?