Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

25-01-18 Cheat day

Post by Giz »

worldshaking00

Re: 25-01-18 Cheat day

Post by worldshaking00 »

I don't get the "Starchild" reference. Google just brought up alien and/or malformed skulls...

So Lynn was an actress, judging by her name included in the character tags. Interesting. Seems like the snake-based theme did not leave her. That might make it easier for her to get in closer to Didi (having both horror movies & wrestling as inlets into Didi's interests). Ideally let's not murder off all the rest of the Ma3 cast in order for Didi and Lynn to get together, a la Brad's comment.

I can't help but think that the "Chest... so tight" comment will get reused. Maybe with emphasis change, maybe from Zii. Just a gut instinct.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

daryljfontaine

Post by daryljfontaine »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:56 am
I don't get the "Starchild" reference. Google just brought up alien and/or malformed skulls...
Paul Stanley's persona in KISS was The Starchild.

D

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Huh, Lynn is a movie actress, too? I suppose there can be crossover between the industries for certain people, though not sure if there were any clear hints that she was more than popular wrestler.

So... Zii's new "focus on the band" thing is already abandoned or more likely she is on a break? The latter she shouldn't have time for considering the pitiful state of her current line-up.
Also, hasn't Zii watched horror movies with DiDi before? The phrasing here just seems like this is the first time she has done so, which is inaccurate, thus extra vexing. Perhaps she had been distracted by DiDi's frequently transparent nighties to watch a movie with her properly, but surely there would've been times she was able pay attention to the film's themselves?

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Cheat day huh? Foreshadowing perhaps?

Good news: We seem to be done with the wrestling plot for now.

Bad news: Kiley and SDB (specifically Ruby) are still MIA.

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

Nice transition! When I first saw the comic, like, in the first half second, I thought “oh, more wrestling plot”. I guess this is as close as we will get to seeing any EC for a while.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Chest hair! He has chest hair!

How long did that take to draw? :))

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Don't take this as a sign that I'll be around much, but I checked in today and thought these questions would be pretty easy to answer...
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:15 pm
So... Zii's new "focus on the band" thing is already abandoned or more likely she is on a break? The latter she shouldn't have time for considering the pitiful state of her current line-up.
I don't think it would reflect well on Zii if she completely ignored her longtime friend and new girlfriend to work with the band every minute she's not at her job. And sure, DiDi might visit a practice now and then, but Zii could only give her so much attention there.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Also, hasn't Zii watched horror movies with DiDi before? The phrasing here just seems like this is the first time she has done so, which is inaccurate, thus extra vexing. Perhaps she had been distracted by DiDi's frequently transparent nighties to watch a movie with her properly, but surely there would've been times she was able pay attention to the film's themselves?
She has, but they have not always been to her tastes.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The good news is that I'm not actually obliged to get cross. The bad news is that SDB fans are still being taunted for their stupid gullible optimism. Hey ho, three more comics days this month...

And there's not a huge amount of plot point to this strip -- except that it emphasises that the idea that Zii and DiDi have some kind of grand lifetime lesbian romance is really just a silly delusion that they've worked up between them.
worldshaking00 wrote:
So Lynn was an actress, judging by her name included in the character tags.
Even I know that pro wrestlers get offered occasional acting gigs, from fairly decent careers to occasional B-movie lead roles as they age to bit parts and cameos in things where the script says something like "Burly Goon". (A tradition going right back to the '60s at least. And possibly the 1590s.) It's all performance art.

The thing I notice here, though, is that this one looks like a low-end B-movie -- cliche plot, bad dialogue, gratuitous toplessness (more nipple-adding for Giz when the print volume comes around, I'm sure), but the FX must be fairly decent for that instant transformation to snake form not to look terrible...
OllieOrOlly wrote:
So... Zii's new "focus on the band" thing is already abandoned or more likely she is on a break?
She's watching a movie on TV. Hardly a big deal. I wouldn't read much into that.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Also, hasn't Zii watched horror movies with DiDi before?
She isn't saying that she hasn't watched them before; she's just implying that she didn't think very much of them. And it could all just be a figure of speech anyway.
samtheman wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:22 pm
Bad news: Kiley and SDB (specifically Ruby) are still MIA.
I now have a feeling that if and when we do get back to SDB, we'll get ten or fifteen strips of Dillon or Amber, without even a hint of what happened between Ruby and Andy. I really do get the feeling that we're being trolled at this point.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

corwinargentus

Post by corwinargentus »

worldshaking00 wrote:

So Lynn was an actress, judging by her name included in the character tags. Interesting. Seems like the snake-based theme did not leave her. That might make it easier for her to get in closer to Didi (having both horror movies & wrestling as inlets into Didi's interests). Ideally let's not murder off all the rest of the Ma3 cast in order for Didi and Lynn to get together, a la Brad's comment.

I can't help but think that the "Chest... so tight" comment will get reused. Maybe with emphasis change, maybe from Zii. Just a gut instinct.
Paul Stanley is one of the 4 original members of the band KISS. His character and makeup was the Star Child, and on stage he often wore only spandex leggings, leaving his chest bare to the adoring eyes of (some) fans. These two are obviously in the know on 70s-80s rock, Kiss, and the background of the characters they played on stage, in the comics, and to their fandom. I was a charter member of the KISS ARMY...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zii is well established as a Kiss fangirl. DiDi, though, has barely shown any interest in music except as something to dance to before now, and Kiss is a bit before her time if she only has a casual interest, so I’d actually have said her line here was a bit out of character.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

TCampbell wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm

I don't think it would reflect well on Zii if she completely ignored her longtime friend and new girlfriend to work with the band every minute she's not at her job. And sure, DiDi might visit a practice now and then, but Zii could only give her so much attention there.
Though Yuki and Sonya ended up leaving to join Angel's band because Zii was ignoring the band in favor of DiDi. It doesn't seem like she knows how to balance both.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Keep in mind she also must work. She has to eat sometimes, and pay the rent, y'know?

A full-time job, strenuous practice sessions (not just some hobby, serious training with the goal to go pro) and a horny-needy girlfriend are more than enough to drive you into the ground, no matter how tough you are...
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:15 pm
Though Yuki and Sonya ended up leaving to join Angel's band because Zii was ignoring the band in favor of DiDi. It doesn't seem like she knows how to balance both.
Zii doesn’t do balanced. I’ve said it before; she’s an improviser. She’s clever enough that her improvisations often work, making her look smugly successful (and making her wildly overconfident) — but when they don’t, things rapidly go pear shaped.
---------
Spidrift

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Huh, Lynn is a movie actress, too? I suppose there can be crossover between the industries for certain people, though not sure if there were any clear hints that she was more than popular wrestler.
From the top of my head i've seen Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, Macho Man Randy Savage, Brodus Clay, Big Sky, Rowdy Roddy Piper, El Santo, Stone Cold, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Terry Funk, Chris Jericho, The Big Show, Andre The Giant, Kane, Batista, John Cena, and of course The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) in movies, and i'm sure i'm missing a lot of names, and it's not just the most popular ones.

And you have to remember, Lynn is a WW3 wrestler (which would be the equivalent of the WWE in the Ma3 universe) and she must be one of the top ones since she talks with the boss a lot.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...