Post by Giz »

CEOIII

Re: 23-01-18 Very considerate

Post by CEOIII »

Awwww. True friends.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, so the last wasn’t a scene end, because we have to be told again that these two are heterosexual life partners. Oh well. If it drags on into the next strip, though, I shall be quite cross.

And honestly, this strip was unnecessary. If we’d cut away, and just seen these two back together the next day, and somebody in-universe had asked what happened and Tess or Maura had said “We’re friends! Of course we made up!”, I’d have believed it. But this strip actually makes the making up less plausible, by showing it as a weird and implausible radical double mood swing. All for the sake of some minimal fanservice (presumably the bras get edited out in the print volume) and a weak joke.

Hey ho.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I'm hoping for a new SDB strip on Thursday and a plot switch for Ma3 on Saturday but I'm not going to hold my breath for either one.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I like these two. Really, I seriously do.

BUT!

I mean... am I wrong in feeling like we’re wasting precious strips here? I feel like an asshole saying it, so I’m probably wrong, but, this is the last chapter of MA3 *ever*, and there is a lot to wrap up. Why are we spending so much time on a pair of minor characters?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

That's a good way to end this particular story arc. Otherwise things were heading for a Sonya/Yuki match-up and we've already done that.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

For the most part I agree with @Spidrift and a few others here. The remaining comic strips might have been better used with other plot resolution, rather than B & C-list characters getting some already established character development reinforced. Lynn is still horny. We still don't know much about Damien and his exact reasoning for running an all-female wrestling school (and his potential relationship with Roxie). Tess and Maura are still comic relief BFFs. We did however get a little more into Lynn's head through her come-on's to Maura: that Lynn is one of the more charismatic characters in the comic but her plans & advances are not able to survive versus thick-skulled dunces; that Lynn and Damien aren't strangers; and that Maura is not into women sexually and that Tess would have been her go-to advisor to figure out Maura's 'one exception' female she'd sleep with.

Although I did get a chuckle over how twerked their faces and bodies got by panel 3. I don't know if they were subconsciously channelling their wrestling overacting or what, but I was getting some serious Macho Man or Hulk Hogan vibe off of how fuckered up they were displaying their rage (sorry: them, Andre the Giant, and few ubiquitous other former wrestlers are about my limit of wrestler knowledge... in case there are other over-the-top ragers in the wrestle-sphere.)

Their commentary also puts to bed why their dresses did not get shredded in the fight in the restaurant. It is a little nice to see their characters make up, fan service included. I also approve of their non-sexual relationship. Yay for friendship.

It does make me wonder if Lynn's plans will survive contact with Didi.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Yes, the word 'bitch" is so passé. Of course she should have called her "byotch."
:p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:38 pm
I'm hoping for a new SDB strip on Thursday and a plot switch for Ma3 on Saturday but I'm not going to hold my breath for either one.
“Reader turns blue and passes out over sex comedy Webcomic.” No, not good optics.
lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 pm
I mean... am I wrong in feeling like we’re wasting precious strips here? I feel like an asshole saying it, so I’m probably wrong, but, this is the last chapter of MA3 *ever*, and there is a lot to wrap up. Why are we spending so much time on a pair of minor characters?
If that makes you an asshole, there are a lot of us assholes here.

But, on reflection, I suspect that our category error is assuming that very much will be wrapped up at the end of this volume. I think that, aside from the problems of advertising income, G&D are just plain bored with writing the main cast here. So they’re messing about with new secondary characters, and in a hundred strips’ time, everything will be left about as well wrapped up and finalised as Eerie Cuties and Magick Chicks ever were.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Has it occurred to anyone yet that with the rabidness of the fan base there will be a lot of fanfic around to "tie things up?"

We aren't talking Masterpiece Theater here.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And one way you can tell it’s not Masterpiece Theater is the untidiness and lack of satisfying resolutions...

Hell, I’ll very possibly write some of that fanfic myself. But fanfic isn’t as good as decent writing by the actual creators. Ever.
---------
Spidrift

Khazuki

Post by Khazuki »

I guess I'm just about the only one who actually liked this strip? Okie dokie.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

No, I was amused by it as well. But I'm also ready to move on to another set of characters now.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I found it an enjoyable, if a bit too long, detour centred around some amusing tertiary characters.*
The exaggerated expressions in panel 3 were worth being shown the closure to the friends' latest spat.
Thus, a side story that acceptably reinforces elements that may affect the main plot; it could've been trimmed back a bit, but it was still a fairly enjoyable comedy of errors with some nice fanservice for flourish. :)

*Possible trigger warning: Negative remarks. Opinion unrelated to current update - Hell, I much prefer the goofiness of Maura and Tess over that wretched Matt, as well as the increasingly unlikeable main characters; I don't find Gary as horrible as Zii or DiDi, but it can be frustrating around him when his newfound spine isn't quite sturdy enough for him to cease stupidity sooner, rather than passively go along for a while because polite.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

We are at strip 1396.

Giz said she would restart SDB at around 1400. Getting closer...
Khazuki wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:07 pm
I guess I'm just about the only one who actually liked this strip? Okie dokie.
No, you're not the only one. In fact, here's hoping against hope that the fun continues and next strip we'll find what happens at the gym the next day (Damien: "Everything's ready for your deathmatch! What do you mean, you have made up!?"), or see Annie finally make a play for DiDi, or move on to Brandy and Roxie, or to Gwynn and Dio and the Night Sisters.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.