Giz
Site Admin

18-01-18 Priorities are shifting

Post by Giz »

Passing Through

Re: 18-01-18 Priorities are shifting

Post by Passing Through »

I do hope the wannabes stop squabbling soon. :-s

As for the last panel, all I can think to say is: Hmmmmm.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I can't quite tell where this is heading, which is normally good for a story, but here it feels a bit like filler, and the confrontation could've been reached quicker. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it.

I don't know much if anything about wrestling (WWE or otherwise), however, it is an impressively dynamic bout in the stretched panel 1. Certainly looks impressive, with Tess and Maura managing in their formal-ish attire, which is probably breaking credulity, though is aesthetically pleasing all the same.

I know other characters have done it, yet Lynn seems to frequently have that "fish lip" expression just about every time she begins thinking or is surprised. Don't have a point about this, merely noting a character quirk.

Mr. Bee

Post by Mr. Bee »

Maura should really have put Tess in that Bank Statement on a table, because if WWE has taught me anything in the last few years it's that all moves, even submissions where it doesn't matter what surface you're on, are like 3 times more effective if they're done on a table.

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII »

The downside is it's easier for someone to put you through that table, if you're in a multi-person match.

Also: Her hands should be on her chin, not her neck. Sasha would be upset.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Interested in this reveal, on how there's deep (or at least long running) tension between the BFFs. They've gotten over it, or at least moved on, but there was still some resentment.

As far as their dresses, granted, there should be some ripping and tearing considering the fabric. However they have wrestled enough to (probably) have more control on how & where they grab. Accidents might happen still, as the fight doesn't appear to be over. This isn't a typical cat fight. At least, it hasn't gotten to hair pulling yet.

Damien's comment about the fight "just getting good" makes me curious as to his rationale why. Does he have a mild fetish (or non-sexualized admiration) of seeing women fight? Is he really just admiring their form outside the ring? If he cared about not making a scene, he'd interject. Does he just not want to get in the middle of a fight for fear of getting dragged into it? Also if there was some potential romantic feeling toward Tess contrived by some readers, I think it was just that. His motivations need further investigation.

Lynn, on the other hand, looks like she's about to have some devious fun. Pour cold water over them to break them up? She doesn't seem the type to not enjoy a wet t-shirt or two (or wet dress in this case). Get into character (sans Mojo) and try to break up the Tempests? Hopefully she doesn't break a chair over one of them.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

It's like watching an episode of Real Housewives! :))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don’t know about the dresses, but those shoes look like they’d come off long before this point. And I don’t know anything about wrestling, but that full-force grip and pull on someone’s kneck looks bloody dangerous — as in “blood loss to brain or fractured kneck” dangerous. Which makes Damien’s attitude look even more irresponsible as well as a little bit creepy.

There must also be a question of how much is being said between Maura and Tess that can’t be unsaid. Or does their friendly squabbling actually get this harsh regularly? And has it ever occurred to Maura that if she doesn’t want to be treated as stupid, she should try not acting stupid? Or is this a tragic case of someone who knows that she’s just plain thick?

Okay, I’m mildly curious what Lynn’s “Hm” is about. Though if we’re really, really lucky, we won’t find out until Tuesday.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

I like Damien's attitude. :))

Vvvader

Post by Vvvader »

Wonderful, all these characters I don't care one bit about, going on and on about stuff I care even less about.

What about the relationship between Gary, Kylie, Yuki, Zii (and – groan – Didi) and some actual insightful, fun storytelling? These are the moments when this comic really shines. I mean this is the last chapter, right??

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 am
This isn't a typical cat fight. At least, it hasn't gotten to hair pulling yet.
Wrestlers are strenuously trained to never pull hair (because disqualification). They have this training carved in every reflex, which explains why it doesn't even occur to Tess and Maura to grab each other's tousled mops.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Damien's comment about the fight "just getting good" makes me curious as to his rationale why.
Rationale? What rationale? Damien is just showing that he is a chauvinist pig who likes the sight of two attractive females fighting for him. Don't forget that Maura and Tess are loudly yelling about him ("I want Damien!" "No, he's mine!") which can only tickle his ego.

I think it was mentioned in a previous thread that Lynn's comments about how "Damien hasn't changed" imply that he's been into seducing his female students since long ago. Couple that with today's revelations, and I guess we can say Damien is about to achieve a real-life face-heel turn.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Lynn, on the other hand, looks like she's about to have some devious fun.
IMO she's simply thinking: "Hey, Damien is right, watching the fight is fun!"
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Vvvader wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm
Wonderful, all these characters I don't care one bit about, going on and on about stuff I care even less about.

What about the relationship between Gary, Kylie, Yuki, Zii (and – groan – Didi) and some actual insightful, fun storytelling? These are the moments when this comic really shines. I mean this is the last chapter, right??
The excuse given for dropping in all the wrestling nonsense this late in the game was that it was, finally, a use for DiDi's strength -- something that could give her a satisfactory endgame. Which would be believable, if this wrestling plot actually featured DiDi.

As it is, it's clearly just fanservice for the small subset of the Pixietrix audience who actually cared about Eerie Cuties -- including the writers, who apparently cared about that comic despite not having much clue what to do with it. Well, probably a bit of that and a bit of being bored with the Ma3 characters who they've been writing for ten years, which is an understandable but annoying tendency among a lot of webcomic writers (naming no Questionable Content).
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Alice Macher

Post by Alice Macher »

I think it's perfectly valid for creators to switch character focus from time to time, in order to maintain their own enthusiasm for their work.

Bored creators --> bored audiences, eventually. And by that I mean perpetually bored audiences, not just "bored while a particular subset of the cast is in focus." Given a choice between "bored some of the time" and "bored all the time," I know what I'd choose.

Switching character focus only becomes a problem if the character(s) whom the greater part of a fandom prefers fall out of focus for months and months (or longer), in favour of the character(s) the greater part of the fandom not just shows a lack of interest in, but actively hates. See: Dangerously Chloe, which for the longest time may as well have been renamed The Pandora and Teddi Sleaze-a-thon.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Creators of ongoing series who get bored with their lead characters have a problem, certainly. There are a number of possible solutions, but turning the work into an unfocused mess or a parade of new characters, none of whom stick around for long, probably isn’t the best one.

Whether Ma3 is spending too long away from characters who the fans like, or at least find interesting, is doubtless a personal judgement call. But the knowledge that this is the last volume isn’t going to help.
---------
Spidrift

Motorcycle

Post by Motorcycle »

This is the last vol, so why are all these side chars eating up so much real estate? If it is to showcase DiDi's strength shouldn't the wrestling stuff be featuring her?
It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lot of people.