21-12-17 Bounce back

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

magnetoo

Re: 21-12-17 Bounce back

Post by magnetoo »

Zii could still apologise to Yuki nonetheless: Yuki might be happier knowing Zii had not meant to treat her dismissively, even if she doesn't come back to the band as a result. Apparently Zii only chooses to apologise if she will personally benefit from doing so.

So not *that* much personal growth here!

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 pm
Cue complicated shouty make-up scenes.
As I have been predicting since during all this arc.

One facet you didn't mention, however, was that S & Y will both discover that they prefer to be abused by Z than any alternative. Watch for a situation where they become envious of Z's currently-incompetent band mates.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:26 am
their Zeppelin-chested Yoko Ono
Wonderfully descriptive phrase. Thank you.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Antinerd wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:15 pm
One facet you didn't mention, however, was that S & Y will both discover that they prefer to be abused by Z than any alternative. Watch for a situation where they become envious of Z's currently-incompetent band mates.
If Zii makes up with Yuki and Sonya at all — and while I don’t assume that the band will get back together, I imagine that we’ll see that much closure by the end of the volume — then I’m sure that some posters here will accuse the latter two of masochism and of enabling someone who’s worse than Hitler. And if the band does get back together, it’ll probably involve some shouting and sarcasm and barely-subdued hostility, because that’s what the band runs on and at least two of its members are drama junkies. So I’m sure that some readers will interpret this as Sonya and Yuki being abused by Zii, rather than a relationship running the way that all three participants enjoy.

Though of course, logically, if Angel’s egomania starts dialling up again, Sonya and Yuki might enjoy it rather than being driven off. Because drama. Why should they enjoy Zii-drama more than Angel-drama? Who knows? Musical differences, maybe? Certainly, Angel does rant rather — and for all her faults, Zii rarely rants.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

No! No reconciliation, no compromise. Demand Thunderdome, Zii. Two band-leaders enter, one band-leader leaves! :ymdevil:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

I was watching Misfits music videos on Youtube and it dawned on me that Angel looks a lot like Pizzazz... the shape & lines of the face, the hair style.....

... then I realized that it got to be on purpose, cuz Giz before has made Jem comics, and Angel is the rival band leader here.....

... *then* I realized that everyone but me prolly noticed it years ago. #-o Amirite?

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

Terry might be weepy, but he might also be a Neil Peart level drummer. All we know is that he got 86'd from Angel's band, and well... getting on Angel's bad side isn't terribly difficult, amirite? And Sid Vicious could barely play a bass, but that didn't stop him from making rock history. :)

Plus: ice cream. Never underestimate it's power.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Azrael wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:50 pm
Two band-leaders enter, one band-leader leaves!
That just makes me imagine some hideous four-armed fusion.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Well, a right curve-ball Zii's been thrown. Not that I disapprove, though - redeeming oneself for screwups this bad should be difficult, and Yuki would just be really emotionally shallow if she were that easy to smooth things over. Better Zii work for her redemption and by extension the forgiveness of those she's wronged, even if accidentally.

I have no doubt Zii can bounce back from this in some shape or form, but I am not sure about whipping those other two into shape. Maybe maturing as a person might require her to spend time showing them the way to better themselves, and overseeing the basics, but I don't want her to build another superband if it doesn't happen in such a way as to inform her personal growth. And definitely not if some people who just want to watch her suffer for the rest of the volume will perceive such upward momentum of any kind as unearned and shilling. Instead, I'll settle for the path of most improvement, wherever that takes her. Freshness and a believable arc are important factors too.

As for everyone else even tangentially involved in the last several comics... I do what I can to maintain objectivity, as impossible as that is, and most of my hopes are largely unchanged, but I will try to temper them with logic. If separating from DiDi is necessary to make Zii grow and continue to grow, then so be it. If DiDi doesn't somehow begin to redeem herself, I'll be disappointed, but I'll accept it; if she does, all the better. Sonya you all know my opinions on by now, no need to repeat. And Izz? I remain unsure what to make of her. Maybe they'll keep her more or less unchanged so she can continue to facilitate wacky happenings and hijinks, but I mostly want to see where exactly she wants to take her crazy obsession that changes from appearance to appearance.

As a final observation: Whatever happens to Sonya and Yuki by the end of the book, I imagine spending time with Angel will be key to it. What way, shape or form I cannot fathom, but assuming xir rudeness and casual discarding of old bandmates were shown as more than just one-off gags there are probably some lessons for them to learn from all this later.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"At least I've got ice cream."

Who knows, maybe being a Neil-Peart-like drummer was exactly what Angel did not want... Angel wanted STRAIGHT BLASTBEATS PANZERCHRIST-SPEED!!! :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)