05-12-17 Give you a message

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Vitocap

Re: 05-12-17 Give you a message

Post by Vitocap »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:57 pm
I mean, really, have you ever seen Yuki carry with her anything but a pair of drum sticks? ;))
You mean her killer nunchakus -- the deadly weapon she uses to bust balls and smash skulls of evil despicable males who dare offend her by, y'know, existing.

(I'll concede that, from time to time, she does use them to bang on drums, too.)
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

CEOIII wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm
The adult thing would be to go next door and apologize. Granted, Angel's over there, so not sure if that would end in violence or not.

Speaking of violence, Zii would be somewhat justified in slapping Izz here. Have you EVER seen her smoke, woman? Good lord.
In Izz's defense there... I doubt Yuki and Iz ever hang out outside of practices.. So she woudkln't know if she smoked or not. She is pretty dense (or rather, I think she's just full of snark, and actually is pretending to be dumb because that is what Zii seems to want in life).

someone

Post by someone »

And with this punchline, Izz just takes over the coveted place of Densest Character in Mà3!

Treader

Post by Treader »

"Con... text? ... is that like a spam email, but on your phone?"

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:57 pm
LOL, dude, have you ever seen someone carry a whole drum kit on his shoulder the way you would carry a guitar?
<snipped image>
OF COURSE the rehearsal studio comes with drums & amps... the guitars & the other instruments are light stuff and the players can bring'em, but the heavy stuff is provided by the house......
I mean, really, have you ever seen Yuki carry with her anything but a pair of drum sticks? ;))
Sorry for my ignorance, "dude." I am not a musician, can only sing OK, and never learned to play an instrument. I could barely carry a tune if it was just a page of sheet music in my hand.

All I do know is that the vast majority of (good) musical instruments tend to be pricey. Of course, a drum set is heavy. I would expect several trips back and forth to recover/set-up a full drum set. I, for one, can't fathom how any business owner would be interested in renting out rehearsal space to amateur rock musicians - with instruments included - without a serious deposit and/or background check. Headbanging rockers have a stereotype to, well, leave places they frequent in not as nice a way they were left them (trope hotel rooms, for instance). I would expect them to behave better with instruments, but then some rockers have smashed and/or burnt up their guitars too. Combine that with the fact that we weren't shown the number of times Yuki came in & out of the Troublemaker's studio, but we just told by Izzy that Yuki came in and yelled out her separation message.

So "of course" It wasn't that obvious to me.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:32 am
Sorry for my ignorance, "dude." I am not a musician, can only sing OK, and never learned to play an instrument. I could barely carry a tune if it was just a page of sheet music in my hand.
LOL neither am I... :))
but I thought surely you had watched a rock concert before... or a movie or a tv show with a rock band in it... or perhaps you recalled how in this comic Yuki never carries drums when she arrives to or leaves from practice... and so I thought you had to know that drums once set are not often moved..... no? oh well.....
worldshaking00 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:32 am
I, for one, can't fathom how any business owner would be interested in renting out rehearsal space to amateur rock musicians - with instruments included - without a serious deposit and/or background check.

Eric backing you makes everything okay...
'course now that he's gone the one who has to foot the bills is the fat Korean dude... no, not chairman Kim Jong-un, I mean that other guy, Ramona's bf from comic shop... so-o-o... I guess Zii & co. prolly were more careful these days? lol

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Before, they practiced in the back room of Jung's Pixie Trix comic shop, or in the studio Eric paid for. Either way, their equipment would be safe so I did not consider them needing to move their heavy equipment each time they played/rehearsed. Her drumsticks/nunchaku are almost part of her character's regular clothing... perhaps also as a safe way to rap out some music or frustration without an actual drum nearby.

Going to a new studio without saying who was paying for it (split 3-4 ways (Jung or Izzy as #4 maybe?)), or how secure their equipment would be, made it a dubious decision to leave their precious equipment behind. Guitars, maracas, tambourines, and small instruments, sure... take them. Expensive stuff like amps and drums, in my mind/opinion, should be secured no matter how heavy or cumbersome they are. Since it would appear the bands are keeping their stuff there, I would imagine that rehearsal space is under lock and key and monitored.

BTW, does anyone know if Yuki drives? I don't recall it mentioned any form of locomotion she can do apart from walking/running. One would figure she'd need to if she was hauling her set around, Zii's van aside.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I wouldn't be surprised if Zii goes next door and finds everyone gone for the day because she was distracted by DiDi all day.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am
The art's fine as ever, but I think that Zii's thoughtful/forlorn expression is becoming a bit standardised -- presumably because the universe keeps dragging her through bad situations in the desperate hope that she'll eventually get a clue.
Have to disagree with this one part. It's not that the universe is dragging Zii through bad situations -- in fact, she seems to get undeserved free passes out of situations most of the time.

It's more like Zii herself keeps bee-lining for every single bad situation she can find, and the universe finally just threw in the towel and let her suffer the consequences for a change. Or at least I hope so, because I'm still afraid she's going to wind up weaseling out of this somehow.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Her tendency to run away from problems has served her quite well, but I wouldn’t say that her life has been entirely consequence-free. Remember, running away from Yuki left her sleeping in her van for weeks, and her screw-up with Erik left her dumped and crying into her pillow.

What those consequences haven’t been is permanent; she moves on, which outrages the people here who won’t be happy unless Zii is shown suffering for all eternity. And her positive attitude/inability to learn [delete which you prefer] means that she annoys those readers by looking cheerful soon enough. The question here, with a band that was working really well crashed and burned (and possibly replaced by a couple of semi-competent flakes), is whether the latest set of consequences will hit her hard enough to drive some sort of lesson home for once.

Of course, if the previous pattern holds, Zii will eventually repress the knowledge that she screwed up yet again, start looking cheerful (and annoying those readers), and hammer Izz and Terry into some kind of functioning band, until that crashes for some reason. Repeat ad infinitum; the last ever strip will be a flashforward showing a 60-year-old Zii smiling gamely as she makes her twentieth comeback on Nu-Montreal’s retro-rocker scene, screwing groupies half her age and still making ends meet by working retail in the local branch of PT-Larose-Junghan Inc’s international chain — the eternal might-have-been. And those readers will hate the strip because Zii is smiling.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

It may be that the only "lesson" Zii will end up learning is that she can bounce back from any misfortune, as indeed she has multiple times over the course of this comic. After all, her running away from Yuki and living in her van ended with her becoming Gary's roommate, while the breakup with Eric resulted in her rebounding first to Sonya and then her much-lusted-after DiDi. Odds are she will find a way to bounce back from the latest mess as well. The fact that much of her misfortune is entirely her own fault may turn out to be entirely beside the point, far as she's concerned.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The point is that someone can probably bounce back happily from any misfortune if they're happy never making any net forward progress. If Zii is cool with a string of bands that play one or two gigs each and then fall apart, then sure, she doesn't have to learn much. If she's serious about wanting to make it somewhere significant, she probably has to get her shit together sometime.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Miora

Post by Miora »

Uh, yeah. Izzy picks up the bass immediately after Sonya leaves, but she doesn't understand that Yuki quit the band instead of smoking?
She's so not obfuscating stupidity.
Just like she didn't fake anything since she we met her, taking mental notes of how Zi behaved socially.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm
What those consequences haven’t been is permanent; she moves on, which outrages the people here who won’t be happy unless Zii is shown suffering for all eternity. And her positive attitude/inability to learn [delete which you prefer] means that she annoys those readers by looking cheerful soon enough.
If by "the people" and "the readers" you mean the grumpy ghosts in this here dead forum, then yeah, sure. It's what ghosts do: haunt the living (in this case, comic characters) and try their best to hex them. As for the 99% of the readers who don't bother with the forum, they don't mind: as long as there is comedy and naughty sex they are probably very happy with the way things are going.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

themacnut wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm
It may be that the only "lesson" Zii will end up learning is that she can bounce back from any misfortune, as indeed she has multiple times over the course of this comic. After all, her running away from Yuki and living in her van ended with her becoming Gary's roommate, while the breakup with Eric resulted in her rebounding first to Sonya and then her much-lusted-after DiDi. Odds are she will find a way to bounce back from the latest mess as well. The fact that much of her misfortune is entirely her own fault may turn out to be entirely beside the point, far as she's concerned.
While I aggree that Zii has an extreme capability to avoid taking responsibility, we are seeing some signs of minute personal growth. She's already admitted that she's at a point in her life where she wants a serious relationship. Whether said relationship will crash and burn is besides the point; she's showing signs of wanting some things that are more than transient pleasures. So chances are that the breakup of her band might hit her a little harder than we might expect.