Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

23-11-17 I like to be flexible

Post by Giz »

Passing Through

Re: 23-11-17 I like to be flexible

Post by Passing Through »

So it was Sonya the Egyptians named their river after, I did wonder.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Edit: Sonya, Queen of De-nial. Lol.

If I were in a mood to criticise, I'd complain about that old chestnut falling again and still not cracking from overuse, and maybe for this strip having the feel of needless filler.

But no, I've seen today's Dangerously Chloe! strip. This one is just fine. Cheers Giz!

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

The prevalence of darkness is a little on the nose, however, it is certainly effective at emphasising the fact that dark dealings are underway.
Though, seeing how Zii is the "heroic" counterpart, I can't quite figure out which side to support; Angel has been established as a Prima Donna who got mad at Zii for screwing a guy she/he fancied, except Angel (to my knowledge) hadn't actually revealed they had feelings for the person, so their rage at Zii was perhaps a deflection of remorse from themselves.
So, Angel is a melodramatic and apparently violent person who holds unreasonable grudges, while Zii is a narcissist with basically sociopathic disregard for anyone or thing when she can satisfy her lust and ego; is this what TVtropes would consider "Evil vs. Evil?" :))

I know it is running gag with Sonya denying she is a lesbian, yet it seems a bit too passed its *relevance*, since she not only had accepted she was in love with Zii, but also had multiple sexual encounters with Yuki; I understand Sonya denied being a lesbian because of a negative stereotype she believed, however, it seems ridiculous (even for her) to still be so defensive about being considered a lesbian - regardless of the likelihood she is actually bi.

Anyways, I'm intrigued about where the story will head from here. :)

Badman!

Post by Badman! »

This is going to be horribly right...

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 am

But no, I've seen today's Dangerously Chloe! strip. This one is just fine. Cheers Giz!
Haha! Well, that is a super low bar, and I think it is safe to say this side of the Pixie-verse easily overcomes it, even on its worst day (which isn't today, old joke notwithstanding).

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Makes one wonder if Yuki & Izzy have their ears pressed up against the wall shared between both rehearsal studios. Although Yuki is also the type to just kick in a door. If it was ambiguous to Yuki before, it should be plain as day now that Sonya is not in their band any more.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 am
If I were in a mood to criticise, I'd complain about that old chestnut falling again and still not cracking from overuse, and maybe for this strip having the feel of needless filler.
And I'd have to agree, really.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:47 am
Though, seeing how Zii is the "heroic" counterpart, I can't quite figure out which side to support...
Oh, FFS. This isn't a bloody sports match. You aren't required to "support" anybody. Just break out the popcorn and sit back.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Angel has been established as a Prima Donna who got mad at Zii for screwing a guy she/he fancied, except Angel (to my knowledge) hadn't actually revealed they had feelings for the person, so their rage at Zii was perhaps a deflection of remorse from themselves.
So, Angel is a melodramatic and apparently violent person who holds unreasonable grudges, while Zii is a narcissist with basically sociopathic disregard for anyone or thing when she can satisfy her lust and ego; is this what TVtropes would consider "Evil vs. Evil?"
How about "Idiot vs. Idiot"? Or, more likely, "Human Being vs. Human Being"?
OllieOrOlly wrote:
I know it is running gag with Sonya denying she is a lesbian, yet it seems a bit too passed its *relevance*, since she not only had accepted she was in love with Zii, but also had multiple sexual encounters with Yuki; I understand Sonya denied being a lesbian because of a negative stereotype she believed, however, it seems ridiculous (even for her) to still be so defensive about being considered a lesbian - regardless of the likelihood she is actually bi.
It's a very tired joke; I can't believe that anyone with a mental age greater than six is still laughing at it. Though ironically enough, a lot of the point of today's strip is Sonya having her horizons expanded a tiny bit more, which has always been her big plot arc.

Incidentally, I'm getting a sense off the first couple of panels that all the other members of the Pretty Boyz may have quit on Angel, not just the bass player. If that's correct, it definitely increases the chances that Angel will be happy to try to recruit Yuki.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Oh, no! Not again! :))

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

It's a running gag, just like Sheldon knocking on Penny's door, or Ross yelling "We were on a break!", or Barney saying "It's gonna be legen-wait for it-dary"...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

But it's a running gag that stopped being funny.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Please stop, Sonya. =_=

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
The prevalence of darkness is a little on the nose, however, it is certainly effective at emphasising the fact that dark dealings are underway.
Though, seeing how Zii is the "heroic" counterpart, I can't quite figure out which side to support; Angel has been established as a Prima Donna who got mad at Zii for screwing a guy she/he fancied, except Angel (to my knowledge) hadn't actually revealed they had feelings for the person, so their rage at Zii was perhaps a deflection of remorse from themselves.
So, Angel is a melodramatic and apparently violent person who holds unreasonable grudges, while Zii is a narcissist with basically sociopathic disregard for anyone or thing when she can satisfy her lust and ego; is this what TVtropes would consider "Evil vs. Evil?" :))

Anyways, I'm intrigued about where the story will head from here. :)
I thought it was a matter of Angel not telling the guy, but Zii, the best friend and band mate, knew.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 pm
But it's a running gag that stopped being funny.
Then it's an Overly Long Gag
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

No. That is a single gag that just gets deliberately s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out, and is explicitly “Not to be confused with Overused Running Gag”. However, the latter only applies if the writers acknowledge that the gag is being overused...

No. Sorry. This is just a weak and illogical running gag.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.