23-11-17 I like to be flexible

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 23-11-17 I like to be flexible

Post by Spidrift » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:09 am

brasca wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:41 am
These 2 are quite the odd couple. Angel is gender fluid, but prefers men while Sonya identifies as a woman, but is bisexual (albeit in denial). Maybe Angel will be the first person to explain that to her.
Oh, DiDi (of all people) reminded her of the word years ago, and it’s pretty clear that she has the vocabulary. Insofar as Sonya’s “not a lesbian” fixation makes any sense as more than a tired comedy catchphrase, it’s clear that her issues are emotional, and not something that can be shifted by a mere explanation. You can’t argue someone out of a position with logic if it wasn’t logic got them there in the first place.

Sonya’s confusion should (logically) stop when she accepts that the world is bigger and more nuanced than her old system of categories allow, and that she can be a lesbian — or, as she is, bisexual — and still be her highly feminine, widely liked self, and that conventional respectability doesn’t have to matter to her. Which, actually, Angel might help with, because Angel is a walking lesson in blurred categories and defiance of convention.
Brux wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:32 am
Spidrift wrote: *opposes the use of the tired "not a lesbian" joke*
*does a 180*
Continuity can be valuable in itself.
Make up your mind
“Can be”, not “is always”. And it’s the difference between continuity and stasis.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 pm

DiDi might have reminded Sonya of that, but if she viewed her as a rival at the time she might've been too hostile to process that. Since this is likely to be the final volume if Sonya is going to get a clue this would be the time and Angel seems the most likely deliverer of said clue.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Sonya did actually hear the word “bisexual”, and even asked if there was a dress code. She didn’t need it defined; it looked like she knew what it meant in theory, but it hadn’t ever occurred to her that it might apply to her. And for a moment it looked to me like she might process the idea — but then she got distracted.

I can’t see Angel actually explaining things to Sonya in words of one syllable, but it ought to be possible that having to process the idea of gender fluidity will finally nudge Sonya into accepting that the world is a complicated and interesting place, and labels are fairly harmless. However, I have a nasty feeling that the writers think that this joke is too gut-splittingly hilarious ever to let die, and Sonya’s words in her final ever appearance in this comic will be “I’m not a lesbian”.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:42 pm

...in that first paragraph, I think you might be thinking of Didi.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 pm

No, I was thinking of Sonya’s first meeting with DiDi. But I misremembered (sorry); Sonya didn’t ask about dress codes, she just asked what she’d have to do. But actually, she was very happy with the tag. It’s just sad she promptly forgot about it again.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm

What was the joke about those shirts supposed to be again?
My comic, Res Mira, starts here.

The crazy will bust loose. Either in the stories or on the forum. Or both at the same time.

Mad theory: Eulice is actually a retired succubus. This explains why she says DiDi Chastel looks like she did in her younger years. She maintains her current form because it allows her to get through her day without having to turn down sexual advances.

A busty redhead by decree of the Internet...? o.o;

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 pm

---------
Spidrift

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:34 am

Ah, the good old days when WWE wasn't trying to sabotage Bryan's career because he was the most over guy under contract.