Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

21-11-17 Whined loud

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 21-11-17 Whined loud

Post by Spidrift »

Right, some chickens have folded their wings and are about to hit that roost hard. Looks like I'm about to get my wish. Yuki should certainly be annoyed with Zii; whatever she thinks about the DiDi thing, it seems that Zii isn't even having the courtesy to tell her anything. Zii's being made to look pretty horrible just now, isn't she?

(Of course, this means that the question of how far Gary has really progressed is left hanging. Oh well, never mind.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

OK, I know Montreal apartments have thin walls, but a music rehearsal room where your can hear conversation from the next one? What's that going to be like with two rock bands going full volume?

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 am
Right, some chickens have folded their wings and are about to hit that roost hard.
They most certainly have.
Spidrift wrote:
Looks like I'm about to get my wish. Yuki should certainly be annoyed with Zii; whatever she thinks about the DiDi thing, it seems that Zii isn't even having the courtesy to tell her anything. Zii's being made to look pretty horrible just now, isn't she?
Well, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can go back up to the surface. And Zii may not be evil, but she's still fallen a long way down that hole.
Spidrift wrote:
(Of course, this means that the question of how far Gary has really progressed is left hanging. Oh well, never mind.)
Hey, any excuse to get away from The Tracy & James Hour for a while is okay in my book. Besides, I feel like this plot is about to actually go somewhere.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

OldBrit wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm
OK, I know Montreal apartments have thin walls, but a music rehearsal room where your can hear conversation from the next one? What's that going to be like with two rock bands going full volume?
Agreed - soundproofing should be better for that. I suppose 'rehearsal space' could just mean a place where other people aren't going to complain about the loud noise. If this were a recording studio, yeah, the suspension of disbelief for comedy's sake wouldn't fly here.

Zii knows her actions have endangered (or destroyed) the band. Even Didi should realize how important Zii's shot at a music career is to her. However each of them seem more interested in exploring the other sexually, than facing the music (literally in this case). Zii isn't cowardly usually, but she doesn't like to own up to mistakes or bad repercussions of her actions. I'm imagining Zii being an ostrich and sticking her head in Didi's proverbial sandbox, to avoid the real world. She really is a bad friend on most levels.

I am a little surprised Sonya hasn't told Yuki about her joining Angel's band before this. Sonya doesn't owe Zii or Yuki anything, really. However, it seems odd that in times past the other band members have tried calling the other late members to see if they are on their way. It would be a good enough time for Sonya to have told Yuki she quit. Sonya could even spin the reason for her leaving the band to Yuki without Zii's interference, and from more relative safety, by doing it over the phone. I'm fairly sure that Yuki won't take the band's disintegration well, and especially once she realises she's not even being told why from their bandleader. Where's Jung managing them in this, anyhow?

What's next: Angel and the Troublemakers? Izzy realizing Zii is a crappy role model and Zii losing her as a copycat groupie?

As far as the scene change away from Gary & Tracy, I'd have liked to seen what developed there. But since the creative team did not feel the need to show us, one can assume it was more sexytime of the SGR & cam-show variety. Tracy is at least partially enamored with Gary's geeky version of masculinity, and Gary is obviously attracted to Tracy physically. If Tracy & Gary are acting more like lovebirds when next we meet them, that'd be my guess as to what transpired off strip. After going down on Gary at James's birthday party, Tracy shouldn't act prudish on her dates with Gary.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

If this was my rehearsal space, I'd want my money back.

Also, Sonya totally knows Yuki is on the other room. This is where they have been practicing and she knows the rehearsal time AND room. This is one of her plans.

We do know Angel is willing to recruit Yuki if she will accept, and if Sonya tells the story, there's no way Yuki won't feel betrayed.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

So Zii's band might end up crashing and burning again but Zii might not care because she has Didi now.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OldBrit wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm
I was wondering if Sonya has sneaked a phone call in and transferred the booking or something (for all we know she handled the room bookings for the Troublemakers). It’s possible that she and Angel aren’t in an adjacent rehearsal room, but are in the lobby to this one. Or something.

Or, yes, weak writing.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm
Zii knows her actions have endangered (or destroyed) the band. Even Didi should realize how important Zii's shot at a music career is to her. However each of them seem more interested in exploring the other sexually, than facing the music (literally in this case).
Zii seems to be almost literally drunk on DiDi. Which is the kind of thing that’s fine at the time, but the hangover is going to be a killer. Zii has mentioned occasionally how important the band dream is to her, but she’s never really expressed it or acted on it strongly enough — so DiDi could be forgiven for not having noticed. Well, she may be about to find out how much it really means to her, the hard way. Especially if the DiDi-high doesn’t last forever.
Zii isn't cowardly usually, but she doesn't like to own up to mistakes or bad repercussions of her actions.
Zii may not be physically cowardly, but she’s shown a consistent pattern of running away from hard problems — moral cowardice. For example, she sneaked away from Yuki in the middle of the night, and took no steps of her own to deal with her lack of income after she moved into the apartment. If she’s going to have one big personal development before the end of the comic, to match Gary’s spine growth, it should be acquiring a sense of responsibility.
I am a little surprised Sonya hasn't told Yuki about her joining Angel's band before this.
Why should she? From her point of view, she quit the band. It’s up to the people who are still in the band to handle band communications.

Now, if she was a little more honest with herself about Yuki actually being her friend these days, she might have called Yuki as a courtesy. But she wasn’t obliged to.
Izzy realizing Zii is a crappy role model and Zii losing her as a copycat groupie?
Izzy is a nutcase stalker. It may take more than realising that Zii is a crap human being to put her off. She may just conclude that being a crap human being is cool. Though if she sees a chance to replace Zii in some way — to become Zii — that might just kick her insanity to a new level.
Bat-dork wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm
We do know Angel is willing to recruit Yuki if she will accept, and if Sonya tells the story, there's no way Yuki won't feel betrayed.
Do we know that? Angel turned the generic charm on Yuki, but Angel’s band had a drummer at the time.
samtheman wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 pm
So Zii's band might end up crashing and burning again but Zii might not care because she has Didi now.
Until the DiDi high wears off. Even the powers of a sex goddess have their limits.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Sonya was way to hurt by Zii to make the call. Suki should understand that, though may still say something along the lines of "I thought we were friends though."

They both know the other really wanted Zii though, but by the looks of it, Sonya may have wanted Zii more.

The fact that Zii hasn't called, shows Zii has gone far down the asshat hole, however, I'm not sure this should be a surprise. Isn't this typical rock star mentality? :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Usually, the point is that someone becomes a star, that inflates their ego, and then they become an arse. And it usually takes some focus and dedication to become a star in the first place.

Skipping the hard bits doesn’t work, as Zii may be about to realise.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Well, it's happened.
Yuki and whatsherface are the most mature characters in today's strip. Because what Angel and Sonya are doing just seems childish, and Yuki actually stopped herself from giving an angry rant.

GKNolan

Post by GKNolan »

I'd be more on board with this if it didn't involve Angel.
ie: the only character in the comic that is still worse than Zii.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm
But since the creative team did not feel the need to show us, one can assume it was more sexytime of the SGR & cam-show variety.
No, we HAVE to see Tracy get the SGR. That technique doesn't exist off-screen, at least not for first-time experiences. And I don't remember her receiving it yet.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

It is good to see that, like spine Gary, Yuki has also experienced growth, in that she seems to have a better control of her temper - whether it will last depending on the situation isn't certain, but at least she seems to have moved well-beyond being a psychotic Zii-stalker.
And Zii is kind of the worst. She isn't malevolent or "bad" per se, however, her continuous regression to being an utterly selfish, self-absorbed follower of her base lusts make her a terrible person that I don't want to see keep getting away with everything again and again. (On a tangent, I adore Giz's art style, yet find a bit of irritation whenever I see Zii's winking, smug, smirking face.)
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:36 pm
Usually, the point is that someone becomes a star, that inflates their ego, and then they become an arse. And it usually takes some focus and dedication to become a star in the first place.

Skipping the hard bits doesn’t work, as Zii may be about to realise.
I don't know, it seemed like Zii was *always* an egomaniac and an arse with her inability or lack of wanting to care about any of her many, many conquests (other than momentary satisfaction from the sex and "achievement" of acquiring it).
There have been a few times when Zii showed a fairly genuine sense of wanting to help certain individuals, but for the vast majority she was callous and/or runs away - the latter especially when it is a problem of her own making.

EDIT: Just checked posts above the one I quoted, and you already made the similar point about Zii's moral cowardice. Sorry for possible misunderstanding; I didn't need to add an addendum (well, even if a little reiteration can't hurt. Aha)

Double post merged. The DAMNed

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm
Bat-dork wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm
Do we know that? Angel turned the generic charm on Yuki, but Angel’s band had a drummer at the time.
Ok. Maybe we don't "know" per se, but I'd still say Angel seemed willing to recruit Yuki back then, plus losing Yuki will piss Zii off, so bonus points:

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Double_polite