04-11-17 Go out with me

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

JoybuzzerX

Re: 04-11-17 Go out with me

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I don't see why Gary should say no to Tracy, other than she may still be into James, and only asking him out to make him jealous.

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII »

PEGGY is why. Perfectly sane, into Gary (insert pegging joke here), not competing with anyone for Gary's affection. Screw these two. Tell James about the grapefruit, then tell them both to get bent.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Gary will very soon be teased mercilessly by his co-workers, for being so popular. :-?

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

CEOIII wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 am
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:42 am
I don't see why Gary should say no to Tracy, other than she may still be into James, and only asking him out to make him jealous.
PEGGY is why. Perfectly sane, into Gary (insert pegging joke here), not competing with anyone for Gary's affection. Screw these two. Tell James about the grapefruit, then tell them both to get bent.
Except Peggy isn't looking to be his serious gf, she's just in it for straight casual. Gary may as well take the opportunity to get more alone time with Tracy, since he clearly has a thing for her. Peggy can still get her kicks whenever. Not like Tracy will care. She's the one up for MFF threesomes
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

CEOIII wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Not saying Peggy wouldn't be a good choice for Gary. They obviously have something for each other, however, Peggy isn't looking for a relationship.

Tracy may be looking for one with Gary, at least for the time being.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

tanonev wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 pm
The Ma3verse (along with the ECverse) is a fantasy setting in which everyone is magically okay with queerness, which in and of itself is fine. But into this setting, G&D place queer characters with hangups that come from the real-world problem that there are a lot of people who are not okay with queerness and who wield enough influence in our lives to interfere with our coming out.
I get your general point, and I sympathise, and gods know the Ma3 universe has a long list of internal logic problems. But I think it makes a bit more sense if one recognises that the cast are not very typical of the world in which they live.

They’re mostly young, semi-bohemian urbanites. They’re also sex comedy characters who, unusually for the genre, aren’t total hypocrites. In other words, they’re textbook social liberals. (And maybe they’re in a classic modern echo chamber.) But somewhere off the edge of the panels, it seems, is a society more like the one where most of us spend most of our time — and occasionally it peeps through, if only in the negative. For example, it shaped Matt and Dillon’s concerns that Gary might have problems with their gayness, and Sonya’s belief that a “lesbian” is a dungarees-wearing freak, and it made Nathan weird and self-deluding as well as selfish and sleazy.

Now, this would make more sense if we saw a little more of that wider world. I always do think that we should have seen something of some of the characters’ parents from time to time, just for a start. (I really hate the echo chamber problem.) But that would have been insufficiently fun, I guess, so we just have to deduce the facts by implication.
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 am
Tracy may be looking for one with Gary, at least for the time being.
Tracy is looking for a way to get one-up on her annoying closet-lurching ex-boyfriend. That’s not a good place to start a relationship. Yet again, she’s trying to use Gary. It might get him some companionship and even nookie in the short term, but if the Gary 2.0 upgrade means anything, it’s got to mean telling people who try to use him to get bent. Or, if he’s retaining the nice guy persona and making it actually effective, he can show them better ways to get what they want — like, suggesting that Tracy handle her break-ups and other problems in a less childish fashion.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

CEOIII wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Except Peggy isn't looking for anything serious.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I suppose Peggy could change her mind down the road, but I suspect it would have to lead to some kind of comedy for that to happen, maybe a running gag in which she keeps trying to flirt with Gary only for him to either not notice the hints or dodge the full implications because he already has a surprise girlfriend, but that would probably require her to lower herself to the level of everyone else in the strip and so is most unlikely.

Other than that, maybe DiDi and Zii are due for a reality check and one of them could wind up with him. Maybe.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:03 am
Except Peggy isn't looking to be his serious gf, she's just in it for straight casual.
what do you know?
Peggy was seeing this freckled guy who (coincidence) was named James and (another coincidence) was an idiot with odd sexual quirks, and he annoyed her so much that she threw a pasta dish to his head & broke up with him (hey, didn't Tracy do these 2 things too? lol, 3rd coincidence!)
then, after breakup, Peggy said she wasn't ready for a new bf...
but that was MONTHS BEFORE IN COMIC TIME!!
how much longer do you want her to wait ? 10 years? who's to say Peggy hasn't already gotten over Freckled James? who knows is she isn't ready for a serious relationship with someone else RIGHT NOW!?
I can't tell for sure, and certainly neither can you.....
Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:03 am
Gary may as well take the opportunity to get more alone time with Tracy, since he clearly has a thing for her.
ok this is such bs...
Tracy is attractive, and because of that Gary finds her attractive, duh! Gary finds her attractive just like he finds attractive every other attractive woman in Montréal!! Gary never showed thro his words or actions the smallest hint of special feelings for Tracy, so then wtf 'clearly has a thing for her' are you talking about!!?

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

So apparently he's GOT to lock her down now? Why? Why is he under any compunction to HAVE to be serious with her beyond it being a desired ship for you. And For that matter, WTF are you raging about? All I'm saying is he finds Tracy attractive and was interested in in something beyond friendly co-worker. How do Peggy's feelings even remotely factor, when all she's said she wanted was purely casual? If she tries to pitch a bitch fit, then she's no better than any other girl in this comic. Shit, people seem to forget she casually dumped a guy she was ENGAGED to and proceeded to turn right around to the guy at the other table, looking for a post break up fuck without even a second thought. NOTHING, beyond friendliness and a desire for regular sex has been the link between her and Gary. Trying to suddenly make her his only option simply because of her status as the current 'best girl' says that Gary owes her ANYTHING close to dedicated monogamy

Quote removed. The DAMNed
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Gary needs to avoid Tracy because of the drama involved with her. Namely, her ex-boyfriend who's going after him at least partly to annoy her. Not to mention, her going after Gary to annoy James.

Gary needs that mess like he needs a hole in the head. He really needs to exercise his newly developed spine and turn them both down. Casual banging with Peggy is a lot better than dealing with those two dimwits.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Gary needs to avoid Tracy because Tracy's relationship with James is not 115% ended. Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever have romantic relations with anyone who is involved with anyone else.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Themacnut and EvilSnack are saying the same thing from two different angles. The unifinished business between James and Tracy (and yes, it’s unfinished, even if the emotions involved are in flux) is making the pair of them act like idiots and treat Gary like a disputed chew toy between to hyaena cubs, which generates industrial quantities of pointless drama. The specific stuff that Gary doesn’t need here is a symptom of the general problem.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:02 am
Tracy, overall, wouldn't make a bad girlfriend - she's shown that she cares about her lovers needs and is willing to accommodate them - to a degree.
The Tracy we saw in her first couple of scenes was a very likable character. The Tracy we've seen since, including in this scene, is a vain twit who keeps using Gary for her own ends, with no more concern for his feelings than most women in his past. If Gary has really evolved, he needs to say No to being used.
Pay in mind; what changed her? Easy answer - James. She was so eager to please her idiot boyfriend that she was blind to the fact that she was acting like a vain twit, as a result.

Now that it seems they have split up; Tracy may very well return to her originally sweet natured, free thinking self.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Remember that Tracy used and manipulated Gary into helping with the bondage camgirl session. James had nothing to do with that (apart from the tangential fact that Tracy chose to keep her second job secret from her boyfriend).

(For that matter, her vanity about her skill as a fellatrice didn't seem to me to be a matter of wanting to please James; the boasts she made to Gary were all about how clever she was, not how she was being prevented from being nice to her boyfriend. Heck, if she was that concerned about pleasing him, she'd be saying "Okay, he doesn't like X; maybe I should try Y", rather than trying to reconfigure his tastes. If he didn't like chocolate cake, well, that'd be weird, and more fool him - but maybe the next step should be to try carrot cake, not to recruit Gary to feed him more chocolate cake.)
---------
Spidrift