21-10-17 Sacred womanspace

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 21-10-17 Sacred womanspace

Post by Spidrift »

Personally, I still remember James when he was just a well-meaning romantic, in the dim and distant past of a few weeks ago, comics time, and judge him on that. You never know, he might even be dialled back to that state one day. Though unfortunately, comedy based on some kind of right-wing-flake fantasy is cheaper and easier.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Fluffy wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:59 pm
If Tracy blows him, may Gary give her a swirly go round that blows her mind to the point that she dumps James as a result. :ymdevil:

...And then Gary proceeds to do the pineapple thing from Little Nicky to James.
FIRRIB

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Error of Logic wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:30 pm
What the flipping, flying frell...? 0_ò

(Yes, I've been on a Farscape binge.)

Heh, I was think more like what the Hezmana?

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Fluffy wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 am
And yet, now that she's exposed James' viewpoint for being the BS that it is, instead of using her victory as a means to convince James to finally let her blow him - and possibly putting an end to this ridiculous threesome - Tracy will still go down on Gary and keep this infuriating setup going because funny? :|
Probably - but now that James has conceded that Tracy can blow whoever she likes without being demeaned, he's got no reason to refuse her offer to blow him. Just possibly he'll realise that, and accept her offer in time to leave Gary frustrated instead.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Doubt it. Insufficiently stupid.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

So... just gonna leave this here...

(...I think the last time I said that, it was a Bill Cosby routine...)

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 pm
Personally, I still remember James when he was just a well-meaning romantic, in the dim and distant past of a few weeks ago, comics time, and judge him on that. You never know, he might even be dialled back to that state one day. Though unfortunately, comedy based on some kind of right-wing-flake fantasy is cheaper and easier.
I doubt it. A lot of comedy involves people being idiots or jerks to each other. Have you ever noticed that the casts of various sitcoms are filled with people who are entertaining to watch but whom, if you met in real life, you would want nothing more than to get as far away from as possible? Because while it is true that he used to be a well-meaning romantic, how do you make jokes about that? How do you factor that into a sex-comedy comic with elements of screwball and slapstick? Much as I hate what they're doing with James, I kinda understand why they did it.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It’s a balancing act. Comedy characters certainly have to be flawed, but if they come across as complete drooling idiots, it’s just annoying (except for drooling idiots in the audience). And if your characters are allowed some brains, you can give them sharp, funny lines. I was watching W1A last night, and the entire episode was indeed based around the jargon-spouting stupidity of the entire cast, and built up to a finale in which the main character was dumped in front of a TV camera with no useful preparation, forced to invent corporate policy on the fly, in the middle of an interview, to avert a PR disaster — and he pulled it off, brilliantly, leaving me cheering. Because smart is more attractive than stupid, even in comedy.

Edmund Blackadder is smart. Malcolm Tucker is smart. (They’re both jerks, sure, but jerks certainly don’t have to be stupid.) Even in the Ma3 universe, where there’s a fair amount of drool spilled, Matt and Kiley and Ruby are effective characters, because they can sometimes think their way through the problems that their flaws cause them. James, whose first strip showed him as a smart talker, however, has been reduced to a drooling plot device.

Anyhow, I assumed that the James/Tracy arc was done after their second storyline, where Tracy clearly had James convinced to be a bit more flexible. Dragging the same joke out again was just lazy writing. If the only way to get comedy out of James was to write him as increasingly moronic, the comic should have left him alone. Gods’ sake, we’re in the last volume with a whole bunch of non-moronic plots to resolve.
---------
Spidrift

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

riflow wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 am
Honestly I've been infuriated with this arc since it started, his white knighting of her literally feels like a lefty version of that tip the hat fedora meme.
whoaa :-o
I only now after reading this remembered:
the white knight and the camwhore go together! :))
the catchphrase of the white knight in the meme always is "defend the camwhore and she will kiss you / fuck you / blow you / whatever"
Tracy is a sex camgirl, and Giz luvs her memes, so she made Tracy's partner a white knight, lol lol

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

... What?
I am glad I don't follow memes.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

the joke is that an 'internet white knight' only defends women cause he thinks he has a chance to score with them, if he makes them like him... it usualy goes like this:

the joke always makes the damsel a 'camwhore' to pile even more ridicule on the wk... Giz made Tracy a sex camgirl, then gave her a bf like James as a wink to the meme.....

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Bleghh.
That's all I can say, really.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Yeah, that's all most people here have to say about James (since the threesome arc started).
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:55 pm
Anyhow, I assumed that the James/Tracy arc was done after their second storyline, where Tracy clearly had James convinced to be a bit more flexible. Dragging the same joke out again was just lazy writing. If the only way to get comedy out of James was to write him as increasingly moronic, the comic should have left him alone. Gods’ sake, we’re in the last volume with a whole bunch of non-moronic plots to resolve.
Correction - Tracy 'thought' she had convinced James to be more flexible. It's very apparent that she wasn't as successful in that regards as we - the audience - were led to believe.

Tracy is being just as moronic as James for not clueing in by now that his white knight BS isn't going away - no matter how much she tries to snap him out of it. One can only hope, with this latest update, Tracy wakes up and comes to this obvious fact and dumps his sorry ass.
Last edited by Fluffy on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But his white knight straw feminism isn't going away because the writers can wring the same joke out of it, over and over. And using the same joke requires Tracy to play her role too. Therefore, I doubt that Tracy is going to change either.

Judging by the latest strip, James is either insanely obsessive or repressing some homosexual impulses, very badly. (A bit odd for someone who's being written as a caricature of a right-on kind of male, who should sure be proud to be gay, but the comic is generally being stupid, so whatever.) If the writers really want to resolve this issue at some point, they either have to have James experience a lightbulb moment and come out as flamingly gay (which shouldn't be hard, as he's already being drawn as a clone of Dillon), or they have to find some way to get Tracy off that weird pedestal in his mind -- which I guess might mean her finally telling him about her camgirl job. But I'm not sure that they do want to achieve that; after all, they might need to run this plot again, three or four more times this volume.
---------
Spidrift