19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Error of Logic

Re: 19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Post by Error of Logic »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm
Lol, like James would let his girlfriend do something so degrading and demeaning to herself. Being the white knight that he is James will swoop in and save Tracy from herself. Gary isn't getting a blowjob from Tracy but I could see James offer him one in her place.

I can't see that ending well.
To be honest, I half expect that to end with James trailing after Gary and breaking up with Tracy, spouting nonsense about how Gary "turned" him.

Suntiger

Post by Suntiger »

This keeps getting weirder...
Talk about talking over each other's heads.
I mean, that premise is the driving force behind a lot of the shenanigans in the comic, so I guess it's par for the course.
Though James does seem a bit harder to reach than anyone I've seen since Nathan, I think.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Following James' warped logic, it would seem he will *insist* on giving Gary a bj, as to "save" Tracy from the task. At the moment, I think James' "white knight" attitude is actually more akin to a 1950's mentality, in that "men do work, while the ladies shouldn't worry their pretty heads." His *concern* feels more like someone wanting to exert control, rather than promote gender equality.
If this stupid train goes all the way, with no subversion, then this can be considered another "Frustration Arc," with nobody steering the plot besides spineless Gary, passive aggressive Tracy, and idiotic James; thus, causing a vacuum of annoyance, since none seem able to be honest and all seem to believe that the threesome just *has* to happen.

(Unrelated: could just be at my end, but was the website really slow and failing to connect for anybody else?)

sparky

Post by sparky »

OllieOrOlly, I can connect but the HTML looks hopelessly broken. Kind of like a 90's forum. Maybe they are trying to fix things. Fingers crossed...
As for the comic, why does she keep using the term "BJ"? Are the advertisers more comfortable with that than with a pre-teen girl being happy about waking up with a naked man in her bed in DC? That's just weird.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

I'm the same, it's not just you guys... and it's been going on for days..... :( sometimes I can't connect, sometimes the html is kaput and the pages all garbled......

riflow

Post by riflow »

Punch him in the face when he tries to white knight you again Tracey. Seriously deserves a thrashing. :I

Honestly I've been infuriated with this arc since it started, his white knighting of her literally feels like a lefty version of that tip the hat fedora meme. That and I'm half wondering if he's bi or polyamorous and just looking for more of an excuse to crawl into bed with gary. Just....ugh.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 pm
Varanus wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm
Double standards and contradictory thinking are a part of life for many reasons, but it's certainly obnoxiously blatant here. Perhaps more important though is how subjective the thing he is focusing on is. That is how is he defining "degrading"? What is humiliating to one person can be fun for another depending on a myriad of factors and how they and the people involved treat it should be considered.
And early on, we saw him accepting that sort of thing. "Maybe I want to pander to your male gaze!" "Maybe I'd be okay with that!"

James has been badly and rapidly flanderised. In his first storyline, he was a fairly sensible sort of guy who just thought that Extreme Beach Volleyball was crass and stupid in the way it treated women, got into an argument with Tracy about that, and then got over it when they both remembered what was important between them. In his second storyline, he had a hangup about oral sex and white knight tendencies. Now, in his third storyline, he's just weird.
Yes, and I can't understand the hatred. You'd almost think he was unwittingly emitting pheromones that make him desirable. 8-|

James may be white male guilt incarnate, but he's entitled to his opinion. If his hangup bothers Tracy so much she can dump him. Peggy dumped her fiance who I ironically enough was named Jim and also had hangups about oral sex.

James may be obnoxious, but at least he's not like Yvan or Nathan who are out to exploit the people they're attracted to.

Boomer_Gonzales

Post by Boomer_Gonzales »

Gary's off-screen thought bubble says, "Dear diary...jackpot."

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 pm
Following James' warped logic, it would seem he will *insist* on giving Gary a bj, as to "save" Tracy from the task.
This. This is most likely outcome.
At this point Tracy should really worry whether James isn't oblivious closeted-gay, or at least strongly-prefers-men bisexual.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
(Unrelated: could just be at my end, but was the website really slow and failing to connect for anybody else?)
Yes, at times I just got an error message and Guru Meditation number.
Guru Meditation? Is the server an early model Amiga?
sparky wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm
OllieOrOlly, I can connect but the HTML looks hopelessly broken. Kind of like a 90's forum.
I saw that as well, but the HTML is actually fine and all there, but with no CSS to put the parts into the right place.
A 90s forum, with HTML designed to stand alone, would have looked better.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OldBrit wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 am
Guru Meditation? Is the server an early model Amiga?
Too many senior programmers these days started out on Amigas.
OldBrit wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 am
A 90s forum, with HTML designed to stand alone, would have looked better.
Except we'd have been using NNTP newsgroups back then. Sigh. I miss those. Discussion software for grown-ups.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Mackus wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:12 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Following James' warped logic, it would seem he will *insist* on giving Gary a bj, as to "save" Tracy from the task.
This. This is most likely outcome.
At this point Tracy should really worry whether James isn't oblivious closeted-gay, or at least strongly-prefers-men bisexual.
I agree, he is between 4 and 6 on the Kinsey Scale...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

As usually explained, the Kinsey scale is more about what someone does than what they feel. (Kinsey was an observational scientist.) So far, we've only seen James having (and, by his own account, thoroughly enjoying) a lot of sex with a woman, and having one (1) sexual encounter with a man. (Well, with a grapefruit wielded by a man, but he thought...) So he's currently Kinsey 1, and can probably never go beyond 4, even if he chucks Tracy and goes off to shack up with another guy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

The forum keeps faltering, for me. Yesterday, it kept showing up wonky, and I've been having trouble viewing the list of threads I've posted in for days.

End of the comic ... end of the forum?

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Oh, good, so it wasn't just me seeing it with no formatting.

I mean, it's bad, but I was beginning to fear I was the only one having those problems. Thought I'd have to get my laptop looked at.

Commenting on this strip... *sigh* At least Gary will get a nice BJ out of it. Probably. But nevertheless, Tracy is a blowjob martyr, James is a fucking idiot (still) and if I were Gary I would never have gone to this stupid thing without explaining myself and making it clear I was not comfortable giving a blowjob which is why I cheated earlier. Even if they thought less of me for it, they're going to find out I don't like it sooner or later, so why not just be honest upfront?