19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Error of Logic

19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Post by Error of Logic »

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/consenting-partners

James continues to refuse Tracy's offer, preferring Gary for the job ... and now the offer seems to have been shifted to a new candidate.

So that was Tracy's secret master plan: foment envy and jealousy in James?

Swiftwinged Doom

Re: 19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

Dot it Tracy. Blow the Gary. You KNOW you want to....
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

Yesss , bout time Gary got one

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Ever wish you could reach through a comic and punch someone in the face? Because, I so want to punch James right now. Initially, I was annoyed with both James and Tracy - seeing as they're both ignoring Gary's attempts at getting out of blowing James by agreeing to let Tracy take on the task, herself - even making a passing jokes about communication lines being open - which James completely missed. But, at least Tracy is trying to get Gary out of it - and James is just being incredibly stubborn by playing that obnoxious white knight/feminism card.

What utterly disgusts me is that James finds it demeaning to women to get on their knees and blow a guy; but he sees nothing demeaning about making his girlfriend literally beg to give him a BJ. Throw in the fact that they're a mixed couple; and it makes the whole scenario that much worse. (I doubt that last part was intentional - but, it's there).

Seriously - James can go f*** himself!
Last edited by Fluffy on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

suranae

Post by suranae »

So James is not only a hypocrite but a jerk and bit of a bully.

Why would anyone, Gary aside, agree to give him a bj after hearing him say that idiocy aloud?

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Once again, Gary's lack of spine is working out wonders for him (at least for now)... Imagine, a Mind Blowing BJ from Tracy, and all he had to do is being him...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

TheFoolishOne wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 pm
Yesss , bout time Gary got one
Actually, it's not that long since Gary received the same favour from Peggy. For that matter, there was the little matter of what Matt did to him in the volume 7 bonus story.
Fluffy wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:13 pm
Ever wish you could reach through a comic and punch someone in the face? Because, I so want to punch James right now.

He finds it demeaning to women to get on their knees and blow a guy; but he sees nothing demeaning about making his girlfriend literally beg to give him a BJ? Throw in the fact that they're a mixed couple; and it makes the whole scenario that much worse.
"Mixed" in what sense? If you mean ethnicity, I haven't the faintest idea what that has to do with anything.

Anyhow, I'm far less annoyed with James than I am with the writing - because when I can't believe in the character, I can't get annoyed at them. And, well, James might initially have been just about plausible as a slightly too earnest, well-meaning male feminist - too much of a white knight. That, one could find annoying, or cutely naive, or whatever. People like that doubtless do exist. But now, he's become just plain weird; a mere plot device.

I had the impression that he got over his oral sex hang-up after his previous experience with Gary (or rather with the grapefruit) - the writing gave that impression. though okay, it left the option open - but now it's come back for the sake of another go round much the same plot. He goes on about not wanting to "degrade" women, and yet he's clearly happy to have an active and adventurous sex life with Tracy, including her participating in a threesome at his request. (Honestly, what's more "degrading" to a partner; accepting their offer of oral sex, or bringing someone else into bed with them for your own gratification?) But he gets all absolutist about this one thing, despite Tracy going on about how she's fine with it, and despite him accepting that other people who he presumably respects do it. This all looks less like white knighting than a weird phobia.

Okay, perhaps the comic should reveal that he has some weird Freudian excuse, and set Kiley on him...

Throw in Gary's feebleness and Tracy's desperate passive aggression, and, well - it's a shame that the last volume of the comic has to get off on such a bad foot.
Fluffy wrote:
Seriously - James can go f*** himself!
Sadly, even Ma3 characters seem to find that quite difficult, at least without technological assistance.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Double standards and contradictory thinking are a part of life for many reasons, but it's certainly obnoxiously blatant here. Perhaps more important though is how subjective the thing he is focusing on is. That is how is he defining "degrading"? What is humiliating to one person can be fun for another depending on a myriad of factors and how they and the people involved treat it should be considered.

But then there are people who think all penis-in-vagina sex is rape, that only certain races can be racist, etc. So his belief isn't as extreme as it may seem, albeit still obnoxious in how he presents it.

suranae

Post by suranae »

All aboard the the idiot train. Next stop clueless...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Varanus wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm
Double standards and contradictory thinking are a part of life for many reasons, but it's certainly obnoxiously blatant here. Perhaps more important though is how subjective the thing he is focusing on is. That is how is he defining "degrading"? What is humiliating to one person can be fun for another depending on a myriad of factors and how they and the people involved treat it should be considered.
And early on, we saw him accepting that sort of thing. "Maybe I want to pander to your male gaze!" "Maybe I'd be okay with that!"

James has been badly and rapidly flanderised. In his first storyline, he was a fairly sensible sort of guy who just thought that Extreme Beach Volleyball was crass and stupid in the way it treated women, got into an argument with Tracy about that, and then got over it when they both remembered what was important between them. In his second storyline, he had a hangup about oral sex and white knight tendencies. Now, in his third storyline, he's just weird.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Passive aggressive indeed. Gary has been used as a therapist for the couple for a while now; seems like more of the same to me. If Gary didn't mind being the doormat he is, this would be degrading as well... although in a universal sense it is... just in a spineless consensual way. She's not trying to please her man by going on with the threesome and using Gary to turn him on to the idea of a female/her specifically blowing him. She is using Gary as a sex aid... a demotion of his humanity. Blah blah consensual adults yada yada, I know. Both James & Tracy are stuck on their positions and Gary is stuck in the middle with the farcical fact of him being there for a sexual threesome not being lost on me. One has to wonder if Tracy did not mind James's threesome request in the first place because she would have just had one of her girl-friends act as interference while she fellated James; Gary adds a wrinkle, but one she was prepared to deal with.

I'm not sure if this is a fetish we have seen in the strip before - cucking - but it appears we are about to see if James can handle feelings of jealousy. I expect he will be uncomfortable with it. We all know that Tracy & James have insane angry/make-up sex. Is Gary going to be in the middle of it, enjoying a piece? Is he going to exit stage right to create peace? Is Tracy going to be passionate and true to her boast for Gary's BJ, or is she going to get angry (as usual) and run the risk of damaging Gary's junk? Is James going to present himself to Gary while Tracy is doing him? Oh the conundrum!

James needs a solid dose of realism to knock some sense into him... something with the same heft of a cast iron skillet applied repeatedly. "Degrading" is "degrading" period, end of statement. He can't have it both ways. His cognitive dissonance has progressed to simple stupidity, and I am afraid that his hang-up combined with Tracy's using Gary to get back at James has sucked all the magic out of this threesome (although I am sure many would argue that the stupidity of the whole thing's creation & Gary's spinelessness killed it from the start). Unless the creative team has it scripted for Gary to get all Love Guru on the duo, this story is going down in flames. And even if he does, in some way, get the pair to admit each other's fault in their sexual relationship, it would be a little of his character. Other would argue Gary couldn't teach the duo how to get along, mainly because he is spineless. I'm holding out for Gary's discomfort of male-male sexual relations saving Gary and forcing him to interrupt the threesome to point out their fallacies. From a threesome POV, he'll cockblock himself, sure. But I am still hoping that this final volume has Gary use what limited sexual human behavior he has learned to help others out, more than just be a doormat for jokes without building character growth/development. That's my wish, but I am reminded that Archie & Betty Boop have never-changing lives and Giz likes them. :(
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:09 pm
I'm not sure if this is a fetish we have seen in the strip before - cucking.
Zii (watching Sonya seduce her amoureuse): "Ahhh!! Why is this so hot?! I should be mad right now!!!"
worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:09 pm
Unless the creative team has it scripted for Gary to get all Love Guru on the duo, this story is going down in flames.
A sudden Gary personality switch? Unlikely, with Giz writing the script. She's into developing, not altering.

I stick to my prediction of a relationship trainwreck. And both James and Tracy will, most likely, blame Gary for everything.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Fluffy wrote:
Ever wish you could reach through a comic and punch someone in the face?
Quite often, unfortunately.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Lol, like James would let his girlfriend do something so degrading and demeaning to herself. Being the white knight that he is James will swoop in and save Tracy from herself. Gary isn't getting a blowjob from Tracy but I could see James offer him one in her place.

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

Wow, James is an idiot.
Tracy's really being the smart one here.
I wanted this to happen, but didn't actually expect it will be brought up.
Please. Let her blow Gary. If it makes James make a fool out of himself, trying to talk her out of it with some crazy logic, all is good.