19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Antinerd

Re: 19-10-2017 Consenting partners

Post by Antinerd »

Wow this little web comic sure has a passionate fan base. I thought for a minute I had wandered into an anime thread or something.

Observation 1: James is a wonderfully successful character to get everyone so worked up.

Observation 2: It is kind of hard to see what Tracy sees in James at this point.

Observation 3, and a question: No matter what James ends up doing, does anyone here believe that Gary could actually escape Tracy's friend zone? I sure don't see that happening.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am
Except we'd have been using NNTP newsgroups back then. Sigh. I miss those. Discussion software for grown-ups.
Ah, yes. Text only, proper threading and quoting, no emojis but easy to type emoticons - if allowed. I'm still subscribed to a few, and there's still at least one with an active and sensible readership.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Antinerd wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:13 am
Wow this little web comic sure has a passionate fan base.
You presumably weren’t here when Gary lost his virginity.
Observation 1: James is a wonderfully successful character to get everyone so worked up.
So - a badly written character can get people “worked up”. (Well, more “theatrically irritated”, actually.) Hence, a badly written character is by definition “wonderfully successful”, right?
Observation 2: It is kind of hard to see what Tracy sees in James at this point.
Cunnilingus mastery, apparently. Which is after all the highest virtue in the Ma3 universe.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm
As usually explained, the Kinsey scale is more about what someone does than what they feel. (Kinsey was an observational scientist.) So far, we've only seen James having (and, by his own account, thoroughly enjoying) a lot of sex with a woman, and having one (1) sexual encounter with a man. (Well, with a grapefruit wielded by a man, but he thought...) So he's currently Kinsey 1, and can probably never go beyond 4, even if he chucks Tracy and goes off to shack up with another guy.
My bad, i know that Kinsey was an observational scientist, my friends and i have been using that scale since high school and one does get used to use it for feelings as well... I think even Giz/Dave make that mistake.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The scale is dated enough that I'm not sure that serious researchers would use it these days, whereas it gets twisted into all sorts of shapes in casual conversation. And it doesn't really address complexities like "slept only with men ten years ago, but now sleeps only with women and wouldn't touch men with a ten-foot pole" (or rather, far as I can make out, Kinsey agreed implicitly that people can shift up and down the scale over time). So don't sweat it... But I personally do tend to bear the "observational scientist" bit in mind.

(And if we're going by "inclinations", well, James can evidently get it up with a woman, and doesn't hate the experience, so I just can't see him as six-by-inclination.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Man, I got my hopes up here for a bit...

Good idea, Tracy, but the execution...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)