Giz
Site Admin

17-10-17 No kissing rule

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 17-10-17 No kissing rule

Post by Spidrift »

So the idiot plotting continues...

Have we ever seen Gary being a “laugh riot” like this before? His geek social incompetence usually seems to be way too bad. Admittedly, geeks can become more personable when they relax in the company of people who they can see like them, but this still looks either out of character or a sign of rapid recent character development to me.

And am I the only person here who thinks that sex on a full stomach isn’t the best idea?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

Well someone looks a little turned on....but which someone?
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am
So the idiot plotting continues...

Have we ever seen Gary being a “laugh riot” like this before? His geek social incompetence usually seems to be way too bad. Admittedly, geeks can become more personable when they relax in the company of people who they can see like them, but this still looks either out of character or a sign of rapid recent character development to me.

And am I the only person here who thinks that sex on a full stomach isn’t the best idea?
Yep, dumbness ahoy.
I don't think we've seen Gary in the company of fellow geeks and geeks alone before (at least, in a purely social setting), so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that he could be a strong conversationalist when it is on topics he actually knows and an audience that can follow.
Honestly, have no sympathy for Gary; the way he is acting is as if the sexual activity is absolutely necessary, when he could easily - even in his indirect, squirmy Gary ways - get out of the encounter. For example, the full stomach you noted - Gary might not say no, but might get a "stay of execution" because he could say he ate too much.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Okay, so I'm a little more okay with this setup now that it's been made clear that Tracy has every intention of being an active participant in this impromptu get together - including Gary in sexing them both up, and not just James. Though, it should be amusing to see how James reacts to the idea of his girlfriend doing anything with anyone other than himself.

I sense a wicked storm on the horizon. :ymdevil:
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

As Sophia Petrillo from The Golden Girls would say:

"The man's as gay as a picnic basket!" :))

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

The better rule is sex first then dinner.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

People enjoying a conversation with Gary? Laughing with him, rather than at him? Having an emotional response to him other than irritation, pitty, and contempt?

This is by far the least believable ma3 strip ever.
Yet still, I live...

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

I'm not too surprised by the way this seems to be going, Gary was always the weird hetero in a world of bi. And who knows, maybe this clumsy plot is set up to open up the possibility of ma3 endgame for Gary where one of his partners is a guy.

But yeah, Gary being a good conversationalist is stretching believability quite bit...
christopheftw wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am
The better rule is sex first then dinner.
I thought the rule was dinner --> movie or whatever --> sex ?

YallNeedTweezus

Post by YallNeedTweezus »

TheEighth wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am
Well someone looks a little turned on....but which someone?
It might just be Gary. I'm having a hard time assessing his facial expression in the last panel but I think he might be about to enjoy this.
Mind the gap

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Gary seemed to be getting along just fine with Matt and Dillon and we have no indication that he doesn't have social abilities outside of the flirting/sex issue. A few comments above speak as if being a geek precludes you from having friends or being funny which is not the case ( btw, Zii IS a geek, would you say that about her?)

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I do not feel sorry for Gary at all. He clearly isn't tongue-tied, so if he doesn't want to go through with this, LET HIM SAY SO. @_@

LonestarF1

Post by LonestarF1 »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am
We actually have seen this before. In fact, the last time it happened could be directly related to how he got this job in the first place.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... not_hiring

Dude gets along fine with peers.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Chantaru wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 pm
Gary seemed to be getting along just fine with Matt and Dillon and we have no indication that he doesn't have social abilities outside of the flirting/sex issue. A few comments above speak as if being a geek precludes you from having friends or being funny which is not the case ( btw, Zii IS a geek, would you say that about her?)
Oh, some geeks are reasonable conversationalists — though even the best of them have some danger of boring at an Olympic level if you get them onto their pet subjects, because enthusiasm about a pet subject is what geekdom is. (And I write as a sometime geek here myself.) But Gary hasn’t seemed to be one of them. He’s one of the type whose social relationships are generally geeky or they’re nothing. That doesn’t make him a horrible person, but it doesn’t make him the life and soul of most parties either.

Of course, Tracy and James are both geeks themselves in their way — serious video game enthusiasts — so Gary is better equipped to interact with them than with most people. Dillon and Matt, on the other hand, gave the impression of tolerating him rather than regarding him as any sort of hoopy frood. They were okay to him (they’re not horrible people either), and they could enjoy playing boardgames with him (I imagine he recommended most of them), but they teased him incessantly, and thought that things like having sex while he was passed out in the same room were hilarious.

Insofar as Zii is now a geek, well, she transitioned late in life. She’d spent the previous 25 or so years developing as a social operator above anything else. You don’t lose all your levels in Party Animal just because you’ve taken one in Geek (alignment Chaotic Yaoi).
LonestarF1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pm
We actually have seen this before. In fact, the last time it happened could be directly related to how he got this job in the first place.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... not_hiring

Dude gets along fine with peers.
Good point. Okay, Gary has the Good With (Geeks) perk.

(System crossovers? Mayyyyyybe.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Jackass Mask

Post by Jackass Mask »

Yeah I'm definitely seeing it now, like you guys have been saying for the past couple strips, He's morphing more and more into Dillon with every strip