11-10-17 Off limits

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Vitocap

Re: 11-10-17 Off limits

Post by Vitocap »

suranae wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm
Or they'll refuse to take no for an answer.
Yes, quite likely. Peggy's advice is sound, but Gary's real problem is that this isn't just "saying no to some random person" -- it's "saying no to Tracy!"

Tracy's relationship with Gary has been, almost since the beginning, one of dominance of the stronger-willed Tracy and submission of the obedient Gary. They sort of naturally fall into those roles every time there's some kind of difference or conflict between them. If Gary wants to train his assertiveness, starting off by facing Tracy of all people may not be the best idea.
Patton wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am
Panel four made me realize that the ‘What What’ meme is over a decade old. #-o

O-oh, so that's what it was!

I couldn't figure the punchline in this strip. I didn't know about this ‘What What’ meme. :p Thanks for clearing that up!

Double post merged. The DAMNed
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

So now Garybot has been given an instruction. Garybot cannot disobey an instruction.

However, the instruction Garybot has been given is to say "no" to someone. Garybot cannot say "no" to someone.

Will this conflict ultimately cause him to blue screen?

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

Well, he could go the HAL9000 route : just kill the problematic elements. Can't say no to someone who's dead.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I think his software is sophisticated enough to establish a hierarchy of superiors. Peggy trumps Tracy.
By capacity for common sense if nothing else....

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

No ifs, ands, or butts!!!
(Well, somebody had to say it!) :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Error of Logic wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm
I think his software is sophisticated enough to establish a hierarchy of superiors. Peggy trumps Tracy.
By capacity for common sense if nothing else....
But, butt, but -- Tracy is a fellow video gamer! Peggy is merely a sane adult and a friend who doesn't usually trick him into doing her favours!

Nothing for it. He'll have to curl up into a ball and whimper. That'll fix the problem.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Peggy regularly has sex with him.
Tie-breaker.
Last edited by Error of Logic on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Typo there?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

aah. Freaking finally someone says something. good job Peggy.
Now then...

will the pressure from Peggy telling him to tell folks no.
or the pressure from those two wanting that 3some.

Which shall force Gary's ......choice?

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

This strip is yet another reason why I want Gary to end up with Peggy. And even if Gary musters up the courage to say no to Tracy and James then they'll just blackmail or guilt trip him into it somehow. The show must go on.

Motorcycle

Post by Motorcycle »

Error of Logic wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 pm
Tracy regularly has sex with him.
Tie-breaker.
Tracey does NOT regularly have sex with Gary. Peggy does.
It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lot of people.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

samtheman wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:48 pm
This strip is yet another reason why I want Gary to end up with Peggy.
Seems a bit harsh on Peggy though. She's got better things to do with her time and patience than shepherd an incompetent man-child through life.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I love Peggy as a character. She offers so much growth potential for Gary and is an example (for him) of a friend who is willing to do a lot for friendship's sake while simultaneously not being spineless. She is relatively uninhibited, smart, funny, and attractive. I don't even consider her pegging fetish an issue, since it is consensual with her partner(s) and she reciprocates pleasuring in other modes. One has to wonder what exactly Peggy is looking for in a more permanent relationship. Gary and her have had some heart-to-heart talks; maybe Gary should revisit the subject of the two of them changing their relationship dynamic? She is obviously good for him. The real question then is what can he offer her, and we won't know that until she reveals her plans. I seem to recall Peggy stating she just was wanting casual sex/stress relief and no commitments (at least right then in her life), but characters can change and my memory might be wrong.

There is truth and some humor in Peggy telling Gary that he doesn't have to acquiesce. To me, the humor is that someone else of strong will (Peggy) is telling Gary to do something he's not comfortable doing (saying 'no') about something he doesn't want to do (give anal sex to another man). She is 100% correct, of course. It just reminds me of a momma-bird nudging her baby-bird out of the nest in order to learn how to fly. This is the sort of advice Zii should have been giving Gary volumes ago, if she ultimately gave a damn about anyone else other than herself. If I haven't said it before: Peggy and Gary go quite well together and could definitely do worse than to hook up permanently. I'm still rooting for Yuki/Gary as well (I placed several wagers in the romance shipping 'deadpool', sue me).

I can't help but feel that there will be shenanigans caused if Gary takes Peggy up on her sage advice. I mean, it is Gary, I know, and comedy requires something to go sideways when they all meet up. Tracy's proximity, Peggy's lack thereof, and the peer pressure of the event... all of this will factor in. I also expect it might be a little challenging (but obviously not impossible) to draw the events of the threesome and still maintain the comic's advertisement-required rating. I posit a couple of scenarios, due to the fact that there should be some end-game maneuvering being made due to the near end of the comic's run:
  • Gary sits them all down before they get squelchy, wishes him a happy birthday, but reveals the truth behind the ersatz-BJ and apologizes for placing stress on their relationship. He then tells them his own feelings about having sex with a man. They are receptive and understanding and appreciating of his candor. If the subject comes up about him continuing the threesome, then happy birthday indeed if they go for it... and if not then Gary still wins and other truths might get revealed (like the cam-girl show). End effect: Gary learns to stand up for his beliefs (with coaching); Tracy & James can get on with their bad selves with little further interaction/script/comic time. Also, the truth - however boring and non comedic - is free.
  • Script plays out much like above but James & Tracy aren't happy being deceived and/or having their threesome plans get shot down. Since there'll be cake, I'd expect a food fight. There might be some work blow-back for Gary, and he'll lose respect from two of his coworkers. But then, he didn't really need them anyways. If Tracy gets word of Peggy giving Gary advice counter to her own, will she get upset and confront Peggy? End effect: Gary still stood up for himself and Tracy & James can still get on with their bad selves. Possible Tracy/Peggy interaction (I don't think the two of them have ever met).I think that Peggy and Tracy would actually be pretty good together. I think Peggy would enjoy learning from Tracy's dominance examples, for new ways to relieve her stress sexually. And both ladies are strong independant women. How that would affect their first meeting if Tracy barged in angry about her plans getting roflstomped by Peggy's good advice is another matter. Either way, entirely speculative but intriguing to me.
  • In addition to eating cake, Gary gets encouragement from Tracy to keep him on track to destroy James anally. Tracy is good at bribing Gary, after all. Some alcohol can go a long way with Gary too (although I would hope she wouldn't stoop that low as to get him drunk in order to get him to perform). She has to know Gary finds her attractive, so getting to have sex with her too is a reward. End effect: he goes through with the threesome, although the rippling effects of that are nebulous due to the variables it creates. Does he like it now that he's done it? Same for James. Is Tracy cool with sharing her man (she seems possessive and prideful in her own abilities)?
  • They still have the threesome but Gary and Tracy have James think he's getting it from Gary. Tracy gives him the BJ and anal attention. Ideally, they make it a surprise party for him by letting him know it was her and not him. End effect: James accepts Tracy's techniques and thanks Gary for being a friend. Tracy & James are in their happy ending place and Gary, through deception and not standing up for himself directly, is off the 'giving anal sex' hook. This scenario seems most likely to me, since it involves comedy and blindfolds and other such misdirects (to help with the PG-13 rating.)
Personally I hope it gets a little steamy for the next few strips. But ultimately, I just want the story to unfold well, and ideally for Gary to grow in any direction. His static nature, while appealing from a comedic standpoint, make the fantastic growth opportunities presented to him (from Peggy, Matt, and yes... even Zii) seem wasted potential. With so little time left in the end-game and so many plot threads to tie up, I feel that plot resolution would be more enjoyable than a throw-away comedy gag. Of course with good writing, comedy & plot resolution aren't mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the late update Giz. Take your vitamins and rest up to avoid the con crud. \M/

edit: I'm well aware of your thoughts on Gary, @Spidrift. And I agree, he's incompetent in standing up for himself. But then Peggy is a little complicit by keeping Gary in the 'bottom role' of their pegging scenarios. We know they both like their sexy cosplay, but he's always in the more submissive role. I fully admit Gary says he enjoys getting pegged by females (he finds attractive). I guess it is assumed that Gary gets to have sex with her, and not just receiving oral sex from her. At least, I don't recall a strip (bonus strip or Kickstarter extra either) that showed Peggy receiving from Gary except for the one with the failed foursome with Gary behind her and Matt taking her from the front (and even then there was debate whether Gary's penis could reach from that angle). I'm not saying that she isn't correct in her advice, just that the 'price' for her advice is not the exact thing that Gary is looking for in a relationship (and perhaps self-defeating for Peggy too, if she actually gets Gary to have the courage to commit to a monogamous permanent relationship). And I'm not Peggy-bashing; she's almost the Yoda of the Ma3 universe as far as how wise and cool she is. I'd just like to see her (Peggy) give him (Gary) some more masculine moments.

wow, long post....lol... sorry.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

O_O
I actually read all of that... I deserve a cookie.....
whoaaa man, you really REALLY love writing about this wc, dontcha?

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:28 pm
Typo there?
Motorcycle wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm
Tracey does NOT regularly have sex with Gary. Peggy does.
Ack. Yes, typo. It is, indeed, Peggy. And that is why I expect Gary to prioritize her instructions and suggestions over Tracy's.