21-09-17 And you believed her

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: 21-09-17 And you believed her

Post by Artemisia »

Gary, Lita's purring IS asking if you're alright and telling you that it'll be alright and that she's sorry she hurt you so here's some purring to help you heal faster. ((Believe it or not, purring omits a sound frequency which helps to speed up healing a little in cats)).
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 am
Hint, Peggy; there's a whole selection of walls available, and you have the height advantage. If you bang Zii's head against a hard surface, repeatedly, you might jolt a synapse loose before DiDi stops pretending to be a human being and stops you. As you'll have noticed, it can't make her any dumber.

(They could all have a word with Kiley, of course. But I suspect that her response would be "Have you tried dropping DiDi in the Montreal River? I think it'd solve most problems. I mean, she'd be fine, she'd float very well, but she might drift a few miles downstream and get the hint.")
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:02 pm
uzivatel wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 am
Alice Macher wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 am
Zii does have a point. Sonya did confirm it was a casual relationship.
While I dont have first-hand experience with such arrangement, I do believe even in casual relationships it is common courtesy not to sleep with other people at your partners place ... especially if they asked you not to and you agreed.
Not just agreed; promised. And anyhow, as Peggy is saying, if Zii actually took what Sonya said there at face value, Zii is too stupid to live -- especially given the speech from Sonya that brought Zii back to her bed this time round.

And even if Zii wants to play the Exact-Words card, she shouldn't be too surprised by Sonya then exerting her right to move on. Even if that does leave her down one bass player.
You know Spidrift, I think you're being quite biased in your opinions on this situation. I think you love Sonya so much, and hate DiDi so much, that you've decided to ignore that this situation is one where no one is innocent and the only solutions that will not lead to a repetition down the line are those where all three accept they've done something wrong and resolve to change. Banging someone's head on a wall, literal or otherwise, won't help. And nor will it help to assign blame to only one side while treating the other as blameless.
Last edited by LegendaryKroc on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well at least Lita looks and sounds happy.

Derfman

Post by Derfman »

I guess Gary's allergy is under control?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm
You know Spidrift, I think you're being quite biased in your opinions on this situation. I think you love Sonya so much, and hate DiDi so much, that you've decided to ignore that this situation is one where no one is innocent and the only solutions that will not lead to a repetition down the line are those where all three accept they've done something wrong and resolve to change. Banging someone's head on a wall, literal or otherwise, won't help. And nor will it help to assign blame to only one side while treating the other as blameless.
Please review my recent comments about Sonya. (Such as this one.) You'll find that I hardly idolise her, and note that she partly got herself into this mess (with a little help from the supposedly sensible Peggy). She may well do something very regrettable in her anger, too. It's just that, right now, as both Peggy and most people on these boards are noting, Zii has grabbed the villain ball.

But yes, I find DiDi far and away the least likeable of the trio. Zii and Sonya are only human; DiDi is just aggravatingly idiotic. It's not even that DiDi can really be blamed for the current mess; Zii should have known better, whereas DiDi causes this nonsense by being DiDi, in the same way that she contrived to make Kiley's life hell for weeks by being her entitled deluded self. She's sweet-tasting poison, whereas Zii and Sonya are just hot messes. Yep, Zii and Sonya should and can change; DiDi can't.
Derfman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 pm
I guess Gary's allergy is under control?
Nope. Those are the dying thoughts of a man deep in anaphylactic shock.
Last edited by Spidrift on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I said this earlier this week
Or maybe:
-Peggy, Didi and Zii are arguing back there, maybe they heard Sonya, and the discussion turns ugly, maybe is Gary that can't stand that sound. :D
I put this possibility as remote, but they DID hear Sonya and the discussion IS turning ugly, and Gary is somewhat not having it (in his way)... Will Gary be the one with his ears covered next strip?
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm
But yes, I find DiDi far and away the least likeable of the trio. Zii and Sonya are only human; DiDi is just aggravatingly idiotic. It's not even that DiDi can really be blamed for the current mess; Zii should have known better, whereas DiDi causes this nonsense by being DiDi, in the same way that she contrived to make Kiley's life hell for weeks by being her entitled deluded self. She's sweet-tasting poison, whereas Zii and Sonya are just hot messes. Yep, Zii and Sonya should and can change; DiDi can't.
Didi can change, of course, it will take an accident where they can't reconstruct her face exactly like she was, and that accident causes an injury where she can no longer exercise like before so she loses most of her muscle strength and volume, with that she experiences for the first time extreme back pain so she has to get a breast reduction... Ok, i'm being extreme, but i think her losing her amazon body and Brigitte Bardot-like face is the only way she will change, because even if she still looks good, she will lose her effect, and the environment will force her to change because it will be a lot harder for her to get away with anything...

Double post merged. The DAMNed
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

And Zii still refuses to take responsibility for her actions even after being called out on it. Go figure. Meanwhile, Gary continues to be a bystander in his own life. As for the bookend I'm thinking it will be Didi or Gary having their hands over their ears because Peggy and Zii are arguing. Or we get a scene change and it's Yuki putting her hands over her ears because she's having to listen to Izz trying to play guitar.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Wow. So much to say about this strip here! *clap* let's get started!

In regards to Sonya, she is partially at fault for all this. Yes, Zii hurt her BAD, but it was Sonya's manipulation that gave her the opening. Also, let's be honest, if Zii HAD done the ethical thing and refused her, Sonya STILL wouldn't have accepted it. She would still be chasing after Zii. As hurtful as it is, this might have been neccessary for Sonya to finally give up. Sometimes to break free, you need a broken heart. Speaking as someone who has had her heart broken by callous disregard, I think the best thing Zii can do for Sonya is to let her storm off with what's left of her dignity. I think at this point, any kind of apology would be emotionally insufficient.

- observation to continue in seperate post -

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Lita: "Finally, safely back with my favourite slave; the one who doesn't have the guts to abandon or abuse me."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ophelianime wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm
In regards to Sonya, she is partially at fault for all this. Yes, Zii hurt her BAD, but it was Sonya's manipulation that gave her the opening. Also, let's be honest, if Zii HAD done the ethical thing and refused her, Sonya STILL wouldn't have accepted it. She would still be chasing after Zii. As hurtful as it is, this might have been neccessary for Sonya to finally give up. Sometimes to break free, you need a broken heart. Speaking as someone who has had her heart broken by callous disregard, I think the best thing Zii can do for Sonya is to let her storm off with what's left of her dignity. I think at this point, any kind of apology would be emotionally insufficient.
But Sonya isn't just going to storm off, is she? She's not even likely to limit herself to quitting the band. She's Sonya; sweet, gorgeous, drama-addicted, vain, smart-dumb, wannabe-evil Sonya. And she's really hurt and really angry just now. I'm not sure what she'll do next, but "nothing" isn't on the list of options.

Oh, and there's another shoe to drop yet. We don't know how Yuki is going to take all this. We do know that Yuki tends to regard rationality as optional.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

As for Zii, I can't believe she's surprised that Sonya quit the band. I guess she really thought that this would all just blow over. Typical Zii.
Anyway, she did raise a good point that she can't force feelings. That being said, Peggy raised a BETTER point; which is that one shouldn't have sex with someone else if you can't reciprocate their feelings. And this strip just confirms that, on some level, she KNEW that Sonya was giving BS about the whole "casual sex" thing. She just ignored it in favor of getting her ego back in shape. Which I think is what it was all REALLY about. For much of this strip's history, she could have virtually everyone and anyone she wanted with almost no effort. But then people started moving on without her, half of them switching to Gary! And her ego just couldn't take that the awkward geeky former virgin was becoming more desirable than she was. So When Sonya gave her the validation she wanted, she dove in head first while blithely ignoring the consequences. She didn't REALLY believe it, she just NEEDED to believe it in order to give herself permission to cross a line.

- more to come -

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

(Deleted due to accidental duplication.)
Last edited by Spidrift on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
---------
Spidrift

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm
Ophelianime wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm
But Sonya isn't just going to storm off, is she? She's not even likely to limit herself to quitting the band. She's Sonya; sweet, gorgeous, drama-addicted, vain, smart-dumb, wannabe-evil Sonya. And she's really hurt and really angry just now. I'm not sure what she'll do next, but "nothing" isn't on the list of options.

Oh, and there's another shoe to drop yet. We don't know how Yuki is going to take all this. We do know that Yuki tends to regard rationality as optional.
Oh believe me, I KNOW Sonya won't just do nothing! I'm just saying that that would be the more healthy option. But we all know that that's not how this strip works, it's comedic drama all the way

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

Bat-dork wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 am
I thought Lita hated everybody! Looks like having Sonya boo-hoo at you for a whole night can do wonders for your feline apathy.
I don't have the time (or patience) to look through the archives, but Lita has consistently shown that she likes Gary very much and hates everyone else. Well, ok, I'll assume she likes Zii as well, but there's more evidence showing Lita hanging with cat-allergied Gary.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

Finally, in regards to Gary, I think that the fact he's saying this out loud is a sign of progress. Really really slow and minor progress, but still progress. Self-confidence takes time, but I think we've already seen some signs of spinal growth. Like when he actually called Didi out on using him for sex. In any case, though the examples are few and far between, I think that it's more than he would've done at the beginning of the strip.
It actually occurred to me that maybe the key for Gary to start being more assertive is to find a girl/cause that he really WANTS. So far, with all the girls he's gotten involved with; he likes them, he's attracted to them, but we haven't seen nearly the same kind of fixation that other characters have exhibited at one point or another. Not to say that fixation is that healthy, but I believe his mildness works against him in some ways. He needs to find a girl or project that he's crazy about! We already know that he loves his knew job, maybe somthing can happen with that?