Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Vitocap

Re: 21-09-17 And you believed her

Post by Vitocap »

KMFiredancer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 am
Vitocap wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 pm
Yeah, because violence against women is always the solution. Way to go, dude. That's what we need here: a strong man to beat the shit out of these unruly girls and then give them a good dressing down when they are too cowed to talk back. That will totally knock the nonsense out of them and teach them who's boss. They will be obeying your every whim and completing assignments for you in no time.
I'm a chick and your constant "male brain thing" mentions are ticking *me* off. Seriously. Just because someone makes a one-off joke or has a differing opinion doesn't mean that it's a product of them being male. You saying "oh it's a male brain thing" or "oh you dudebros" is just as sexist as men saying women nag or are only suited to caregiver positions and it's just as harmful.
How nice of you to use your 3rd post in four years to share these pearls of wisdom with us. I don't think you are a chick, lollipop, nor a dude for that matter. You are a different sort of critter, one that is only found in internet forums like this one. Can you say "sockpuppet account"? I knew you could.

I notice there isn't in your little piece even one word about how domestic violence against women is wrong. I take it your owner doesn't see anything wrong with the idea of guys beating up girls until they become meek and obedient. Nice mentality. And you actually demand respect for this hateful drivel in the name -- get this -- in the name of tolerance of differing opinions! Heh. It doesn't work like that, sockpuppy. Nobody in this forum green-lights male chauvinism, slut-shaming and dv, especially not the mods. You and your owner can keep on rehashing hate messages for as long as they let you; I will continue calling your shit poop.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Chantaru wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 am
Sonia is treating Zii like a puzzlebox, not taking no for an answer. If she was a guy, people would call it creepy. She has tried and tried, and everytime she can, she tries to get Zii. Now she is like a "nice guy" whinning about being friendzoned. Even if Zii should have known better, Sonia put herself in the situation.
But Zii should have known much, much better. There are several things one can do about someone acting like Sonya; shagging them but "keeping it casual" is first on the list of really stupid things that you really shouldn't do. Whether you call it "hurting a friend" or "encouraging a stalker", it's a bad idea.

Sonya's little pathology was clearly established eight volumes ago. The sad-if-you-take-this-comedy-seriously thing about it is that nobody has ever really tried, seriously, to help her get over it. Zii made one weak effort but mostly ran away from her (but not fast or far enough to actually achieve anything), Peggy encouraged her, and everyone else just stood around gawping.

Anyhow, we also note that Giz is being cruel. ("Sorry for the missed Ma3 update. Very busy at Hal-con. Ma3 returns Tuesday!") With a bookend strip due and in the middle of a dramatic plot turn...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I told her that on twitter. I guess she laughed when she saw it.

I guess she wants to finish vol 9 with a bang and a little state-of-the-union update, but the con was in the way, so she decided to pospone it until tuesday instead of giving us an unfinished strip.

Hey, if i can wait for years till The Winds of Winter comes out, i can wait till Tuesday for the end-of-volume.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 am
Chantaru wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 am
Sonia is treating Zii like a puzzlebox, not taking no for an answer. If she was a guy, people would call it creepy. She has tried and tried, and everytime she can, she tries to get Zii. Now she is like a "nice guy" whinning about being friendzoned. Even if Zii should have known better, Sonia put herself in the situation.
But Zii should have known much, much better.
Should have? More like she did know better - why else pretend that things remained perfectly casual between herself and Didi and Sonya stormed into her apartment? Zii knew sleeping with Didi would set Sonya off; but did it anyway and did her best to hide the truth from Sonya. If Didi were a better actress, what are the chances are Zii would have kept up her ruse of having a casual/non committed relationship with Sonya while having Didi as a side piece?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I'd easily estimate that chance between 70 and 80%.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Really? I might give her a 5% chance on a good day.

Zii knew that this would lead to trouble, and accepted that enough to try and duck the consequences as best she could -- which was never going to be great, if you ask me, because even if DiDi wasn't an idiot, well, do you really think they could have kept the pretense up for long? Because no, I don't; Sonya was already suspicious and can be sneaky, Zii isn't actually used to running extended hidden affairs, and DiDi would likely have got jealous if her "true love" was shagging Sonya on the side. But by "knowing better", I mean more than knowing that Sonya would be, in some undefined way, unhappy if and when they broke up. I mean not getting anywhere near this situation in the first place.

Zii knew that Sonya was obsessed with her, and had indeed spent large chunks of the last eight volumes trying to dodge Sonya's attentions; she was simply incapable of resisting Sonya for long when she failed to dodge her well enough, because Zii displays the willpower of a wet noodle. And indeed, she's just admitted in this very strip that she was deceiving herself when she believed that Sonya was really willing to keep things casual (speech bubble, panel 4). So if Zii wanted to avoid disaster, she should have refrained from lying to herself, and either have found some more willpower from somewhere and then worked out a way to help Sonya get over that obsession, or if she really couldn't keep herself from screwing Sonya, found a better exit strategy than a clumsy "Sorry, bye" -- and if that meant not screwing DiDi for months after the opportunity arose, well, there's this little concept called "self-restraint".

(And yes, I'm fully aware that it's an alien concept to Ma3 characters. It's just that it's the only thing that could have averted disaster once Zii had buried herself neck-deep in trouble.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

KMFiredancer

Post by KMFiredancer »

Vitocap wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 am
KMFiredancer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 am
Vitocap wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 pm
Yeah, because violence against women is always the solution. Way to go, dude. That's what we need here: a strong man to beat the shit out of these unruly girls and then give them a good dressing down when they are too cowed to talk back. That will totally knock the nonsense out of them and teach them who's boss. They will be obeying your every whim and completing assignments for you in no time.
I'm a chick and your constant "male brain thing" mentions are ticking *me* off. Seriously. Just because someone makes a one-off joke or has a differing opinion doesn't mean that it's a product of them being male. You saying "oh it's a male brain thing" or "oh you dudebros" is just as sexist as men saying women nag or are only suited to caregiver positions and it's just as harmful.
How nice of you to use your 3rd post in four years to share these pearls of wisdom with us. I don't think you are a chick, lollipop, nor a dude for that matter. You are a different sort of critter, one that is only found in internet forums like this one. Can you say "sockpuppet account"? I knew you could.

I notice there isn't in your little piece even one word about how domestic violence against women is wrong. I take it your owner doesn't see anything wrong with the idea of guys beating up girls until they become meek and obedient. Nice mentality. And you actually demand respect for this hateful drivel in the name -- get this -- in the name of tolerance of differing opinions! Heh. It doesn't work like that, sockpuppy. Nobody in this forum green-lights male chauvinism, slut-shaming and dv, especially not the mods. You and your owner can keep on rehashing hate messages for as long as they let you; I will continue calling your shit poop.
What the hell are you on? You're certainly an angry person, anyway. I didn't say domestic violence against women is ok, I was saying what the other person said was a joke and was not meant to be taken as a green-flag for abuse. And yes, I am female, and a human, for that matter! I'm just not not very active on the forums here unless I have something I actually feel like posting. I can even link you my personal pages if you like, not that I'm particularly inclined to.

I demand not respect for "hateful drivel" (Which, by the way: pot, meet kettle, for it seems you hold more hate in your little heart than I do mine), but for people to be able to share opinions and joke (lightheartedly) without being lambasted as being hateful or sexist. A one-off joke about spanking (Which is in line with the rest of this comic anyway...) is not akin to a man grabbing his wife and beating her because she went out with a male co-worker, and I would thank you to recognize the difference between the two. The OP would not, I believe, condone *literally* taking the characters in question and beating them until they become meek and subservient- nor would anyone else here, likely.

That is what constitutes a "joke", if you've heard of one. That said, there is still a line in what is acceptable in humor- implying they should be victims of more serious assault? Absolutely over the line. Joking about spanking which is *generally* consensual if you are an adult? Not nearly as severe or worth implying assault over.

Also: Wow. I'm *so* hateful for pointing out the sexism in your post and defending someone's freedom to make silly jokes about fictional characters... ;) Sexism against men is still sexism.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Oh, for heaven's sake! 8-|

I read Antinerd's post and did not think anything bad of it beyond that it was tongue in cheek. I fully agree with KMFiredancer. Vitocap, your "male-brain" thing is annoying, and your reaction to KMFiredancer, her having four posts os far or not, is completely unacceptable. Accusing people of being a sock puppet when you have so proof is really bad message board form.

And just for your information, Vitocap, I've looked up IP addresses and they're not even in the same country. Not exactly 100% solid proof but reasonably good evidence... /:)

Consider this a warning. More behaviour like this and you are going to sit in the corner for a while.

The DAMNed
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Soooo...

Oh, shut up, Gary. You don't look injured, nor scratched up, nor are your allergies acting up. You have a warm fuzzeh belleh lying on your face, purring and loving you. You're probably better off than almost anyone else here.
Vitocap wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:24 pm
Lita's in Her heaven — all's right with the world!
Seriously, you have the NERV to post something like that here? I'm not going to gendo get away with that! :P
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm
Has Gary's cat allergy even been mentioned since Lita's first ever appearance? It may have been, but I honestly don't recall it coming up. In any case, it's clearly a very mild allergy at worst, easily controlled by his meds; we don't see him sneezing or with streaming eyes. I'm inclined to put that specific subject down as early-installment weirdness.
As I recall, he got medication, it was mentioned once or twice more, the medication seemed to be very effective, and with that problem solved, the allergy thing was buried.
rogermart wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:36 pm
Hey, if i can wait for years till The Winds of Winter comes out, i can wait till Tuesday for the end-of-volume.
Yeah, but the strip was indeed published Tuesday, while - brace yourself! - The Winds of winter is never coming... :( (Well, I hope it is too, but I expect GRRM to sink in the river Styx every day along with a swamped boat and a desperately flailing ferryman...)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm
Oh, shut up, Gary. You don't look injured, nor scratched up, nor are your allergies acting up. You have a warm fuzzeh belleh lying on your face, purring and loving you. You're probably better off than almost anyone else here.
To be fair, he got knocked backwards off his feet - and he was in hospital with concussion only recently. Realistically, Peggy should probably have spent a couple of minutes checking his pupils and stuff before anything else. But, well, Peggy has evidently now correctly identified him as a cartoon character who can survive this stuff just fine.
---------
Spidrift

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm
rogermart wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:36 pm
Yeah, but the strip was indeed published Tuesday, while - brace yourself! - The Winds of winter is never coming... :( (Well, I hope it is too, but I expect GRRM to sink in the river Styx every day along with a swamped boat and a desperately flailing ferryman...)
I hope that before he sinks in the Styx, he hands all of his work to his publisher or Benioff/Weiss or Parris McBride or someone. :!!
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...