19-09-17 Mrow

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Cortez

Re: 19-09-17 Mrow

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am
Plus, is Gary actually dumb enough to follow her instructions exactly? Almost certainly not, but I'd love to see him try.
I don't see Gary throwing Lita at least.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

-If Sonya starts a rival band and recruits Izz, the last strip can start with Sonya hating Izz sound.
-If Zii recruits Izz to replace Sonya, the last strip can start with either Yuki or Zii hating Izz sound.
Or maybe:
-Peggy, Didi and Zii are arguing back there, maybe they heard Sonya, and the discussion turns ugly, maybe is Gary that can't stand that sound. :D

Either way it seems that it's gonna turn sexy at the end.

Just a layout reminder:

That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Why would she start a rival band? Zii already has a rival band.

Wouldn't it be easier for Sonya to just join Angel's band?

Angel already offered Yuki, Yuki could always give the card to Sonya.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Double_polite

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

This is what happens when two self-centered people get together. They become a self-centered couple. It used to be that they only cared about their own feelings, now they only care about the feelings they have in tandem with each other. Blech! I'm with Peggy. Being in "love" doesn't give you license to disregard the rest of the world and the people in it.
In regards to Sonya, I hope this is the final impetus she needed to break free from her obsessive love towards Zii. Which has kind of been her main thing up to this point in general, so I'm wondering what the writers have planned for her character after this. Please don't tell me she gets her own spin-off! I want SDB back!
I do feel a little sorry for Lita being used as a tranjectile, but I feel sorrier for Gary's face/head. ANd we all know that Lita is going to get more sympathy than him anyway.
As for Gary, he is running away from conflict as usual. That being said, I wouldn't want to touch that mess either, especially since none of it has anything to do with him. Let's review shall we? Sonya dumped him in the middle of sex, Zii threw him away for a shot at Didi, and Didi discarded him after he failed to give her an orgasm. So really, he doesn't owe any of them squat. At this point, it might be better for him to keep his head down figuratively and literally.
On another note, I'm waiting for Ani Conda to make an appearance. If you will recall, she wants Didi as well, and last she heard she was available. I wonder where that will go. Also, what's going to happen with Kiley now? So far she and Peggy (and the absent Dillian) are my favorite characters. Mostly due to their ability to think about other people besides themselves, which is rare in this strip.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm
I don't see Gary throwing Lita at least.
Probably not, no. And it's not that I approve of cruelty to animals, or would blame Gary for being nice -- it's just that I'd be amused to see Gary attempting to roleplay passion.

Actually, I guess we might see him, say, carefully placing Lita on the table in front of Zii (bad hygiene notwithstanding) and saying, "Uh, and, oh yes, Sonya says that she's leaving your, errm, band". Allowing a nice comedy beat as the big news, quietly delivered, sinks in with Zii, and then she suddenly realises that the real love of her life is in danger.

But the other problem here is that we have just two strips to set up the echo of that first strip of the volume (and thanks to rogermart for digging it out - it'd be lovely to have the dropdown selector back). If it takes place in the rehearsal room and involves Izz, I think #1349 will either see Sonya storming in there to pick up her stuff and meeting Izz, or Zii storming in complaining about Peggy having the temerity to tell her the truth and Sonya having the temerity to have feelings. That doesn't leave any space for the comic to show more of Peggy ripping into Zii, but never mind, we've got the gist already.

Alternatively, we might stay in the apartment for two strips; imagine, say, panel 1 with Zii stressing out over the trouble she's brought on herself, DiDi attempting to reassure her in panels 2 and 3, and Zii misplacing a kiss on DiDi in 4. It'd be a weak echo, but compositionally correct.
Cortez wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Logically, the problem there is whether Angel needs a new bass player - it'd require a convenient coincidence, at least. And the narrative problem is that the comic would have to reintroduce a character who mainly belongs in SDB, which would be messy and take up a few strips. Plus, I dunno, I just don't see Angel and Sonya getting on. They do have different personal styles, and you'd have two drama queens in one band, which is tricky. And the writers would have to do something about one of the hanging plot threads from SDB -- Zii knowing about Angel's date and kiss with Richie.

(But who knows? Perhaps Sonya will now disappear from the comic for a while, then suddenly appear on stage with the Pretty Boys, as a dejected Zii stands in the audience...)
uzivatel wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:13 pm
The idea of Sonya forming her own rival band sounds even weirder. She may have fun playing, but the comics does not portray her as someone who would form her own band.
Not previously, perhaps. But a big part of Sonya's plot arc is the way she's been discovering things about herself that weren't obvious before -- largely thanks to Zii, in fact. (Zii made a real rod for her own back, the night she seduced Sonya.) The woman has hidden depths, and now she probably wants to prove that she doesn't need Zii. If anger and jealousy drove her to attempting this, she might just get somewhere.
uzivatel wrote:
And why would she? The point here is that Zii seems to care very little about Sonya as long as it does not involve herself - she is unlikely to give a damn about what Sonya does beyond her own band losing bass player (at this point I expect we find out some other member of the current cast happens to be a great bass player ... or James returns).
It was established long ago that there's a real shortage of decent bass players, with James pursuing his own interests. And if Zii becomes unreliable due to DiDi's demands, Sonya might manage to poach some of her bookings and standing. More immediately, if Sonya can poach Yuki or Izz, let alone both, she'd go a long way toward destroying Zii's dream. I suspect that Zii is about to learn that she can't have everything she wants; getting DiDi may just cost her rock and roll -- and Sonya might just have the smarts to recognise that opportunity for satisfying revenge.
uzivatel wrote:
As for the person covering her ears - Yuki seems like a prime candidate, since she was left alone with Izz...
That was last night, and the practice session had specifically just ended (and had apparently been fairly successful, so I guess Izz may genuinely have improved as a guitarist).

Oh, and it looks like DiDi is becoming the Troublemakers' Yoko. Except that Yoko had, y'know, a brain. And all this would be so much more convincing if we'd seen more of the band developing as a band, but hey ho.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

While it was a funny way to bring Lita back, please don't throw your pets. /end public service announcement

That being said, Lita is not quite at home. Zii left there. Lita might still think it is her home but Zii, in typical Zii fashion, isn't being responsible. She is homeless and as of now a guest of Didi's. I am very interested in seeing that fact explode on her. Of course that could also lead to Didi choosing to move out as well, eventually, should Peggy's condemnation of Zii prove intolerable for Didi.

Peggy is correct for sticking to being faithful to Sonya's feelings. Unlike some others, I don't really know if I would call Peggy a real friend of Sonya's. What exactly defines 'friend' is up to several interpretations, though. Peggy needed a place to stay after moving out; Sonya offered. Each helped the other out, but there was some mutual 'using the other' involved. Sonya did not have the prescience to not interrupt Peggy while Zii & Sonya were getting intimate, so to me there was some serious self-absorption in Sonya's mind rather than graciousness and consideration for a true friend. But that's just my take, and that might have just been the power of the script compelling Peggy to move out. :-??

Should Didi & Zii's feelings matter? Sure to a degree. To Zii's credit, she hasn't rubbed her being able to give Didi an orgasm into Gary's face. Yet. Zii is reacting defensively because she is being accused of being insensitive. Zii is insensitive and has always been selfish unless she would be more inconvenienced otherwise (to include only being helpful when she gets something out of it). It is not a very endearing trait and only makes her out to be two-faced and disingenuous. To make it even worse, that is a trait Didi shares despite Didi disguising her lack of real empathy in her Amazonian Didi effect. Once the honeymoon wears off and reality sets in, Didi & Zii should not mix well at all.

Gary is trapped in the middle, like most of his adventures in the comic. It would be unlike him to take a stand here, but considering his character growth so far I don't place it as inconceivable that he'd side with being kind (Peggy) versus being selfish (Zii & Didi). I wonder if the ladies will put him in the spotlight and ask his opinion?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

I have to say I expected Sonya to be far more Machiavellian in her approach. This looks like she is done for good this time, and I don't blame her for this particular reaction (except the cat-throw bit, NOT COOL!), but I totally blame her for the overall result. She fully intended to satisfy her feelings under the guise of casual sex, with no supposed strings attached, so claiming a broken "casual" heart is just her and her need for drama.

Yes, I do think Zii and DiDi having sex on Sonya's place was both uncalled for and a douche move. I don't oppose their romance at all, and I've defended DiDi because I feel she's being more honest and slightly more self aware lately. But love, even true love, is no justification for lacking the common sense of at least going somewhere else to do the consummation part, which might have accounted for less of an explosive reaction and marginally less hurt feelings. Or not? Oh well, that's the problem with speculation.

A pity the band is broken though. I keep hearing volume 10 will be the last one, and I don't feel there's really any room for a Sonya replacement. Izz is too terrible with instruments, I seriously doubt Peggy would even consider it, and it would take some seriously clever writing to get the audience invested on a new character fast enough to not feel forced.

Having said all of this, I do hope Sonya finds someone who's good for her before the comic is over.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Logically, the problem there is whether Angel needs a new bass player - it'd require a convenient coincidence, at least. And the narrative problem is that the comic would have to reintroduce a character who mainly belongs in SDB, which would be messy and take up a few strips. Plus, I dunno, I just don't see Angel and Sonya getting on. They do have different personal styles, and you'd have two drama queens in one band, which is tricky. And the writers would have to do something about one of the hanging plot threads from SDB -- Zii knowing about Angel's date and kiss with Richie.

(But who knows? Perhaps Sonya will now disappear from the comic for a while, then suddenly appear on stage with the Pretty Boys, as a dejected Zii stands in the audience...)

Fair point and Angel invited Yuki because he still thinks of her as a friend.

Still, the main reason i don't see Sonya starting her own band is because she's still new to all this. It's probably easier just to join a another band.

This is assuming she wants to though, she only joined the band for Zii.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:58 pm
Peggy is correct for sticking to being faithful to Sonya's feelings. Unlike some others, I don't really know if I would call Peggy a real friend of Sonya's. What exactly defines 'friend' is up to several interpretations, though. Peggy needed a place to stay after moving out; Sonya offered. Each helped the other out, but there was some mutual 'using the other' involved.
You call it using each other, I call it friends doing stuff for each other. I dunno; I just get a genuine-friendship vibe off these two. Their conversations are casually intimate the way friends are.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:58 pm
I wonder if the ladies will put him in the spotlight and ask his opinion?
I suspect they'd have to for him to say anything. Which would make for a nice plot twist, if he's forced to remember that he does have moral standards.
Bat-dork wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm
I have to say I expected Sonya to be far more Machiavellian in her approach.
Give her time. This is a first grand dramatic gesture, to mark her departure from the band; I doubt that she's finished yet.
Bat-dork wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm
Having said all of this, I do hope Sonya finds someone who's good for her before the comic is over.
She might - but I think it'd be just as good, or even better, if she discovered that she didn't need anyone else straight away. Ever since her first appearance, she's had this unhealthy, unrequited obsession with Zii, but everything else about her story has been her discovering that she has capabilities of her own that she wasn't using. She's gone from dim-bulb waitress in a failing relationship to bass-playing seductress with a love of drama and an unreliable talent for evil schemes. Perhaps she doesn't need another person to complete her. Leaving her in solitary orbit round the final pairings and threesomes, a perpetual low-level threat to all of them, might just make her as happy as she can be.
Cortez wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:05 pm
Still, the main reason i don't see Sonya starting her own band is because she's still new to all this. It's probably easier just to join a another band.
Why do the easy thing when the dramatic thing is possible?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I'm going to throw a plot-twist that would be interesting if it happens, but is unlikely to happen:

Izz is really a talented guitar player who had been posing as a bad one (evidence of this: When she got loose she played so good and fast Dave Mustaine considered her to replace Kiko Loureiro), She, Sonya and Yuki form a new band and Izz reveals that she was posing because she wanted to get near Zii to crush her for something she did in the past. Mua ha ha ha ha

Like i said, unlikely.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

If I were in the role of the responsible adult here, my solution would be to get the involved parties to sit down in front of me and tell them both off for being selfish and inconsiderate of each other's feelings times beyond counting, get them to be honest with each other and themselves about what they want, and try to explain a) to Zii and DiDi that when you make a terrible mistake you have to own up to it and make reparations as appropriate, even if it takes a long time, and b) point out to Sonya that she knows this situation well, but from the other side, and that if she wants to maintain the moral high ground, she should re-examine her own behaviour and resolve not to repeat it. I don't expect that or anything like that to happen in one strip because it wouldn't leave much room for comedy and the current chapter is nearly over, meaning they'll need to have some ongoing plot threads to pick up in the next volume. A toxic love triangle like this will make as good one as any.

I'm just saying that as far as being a victim goes, Sonya's past actions mean she really sucks at it. I find it very hard to feel sympathy for someone the universe is paying back for the things she did to others free and gratis in the past.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:22 pm
Cortez wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm also not all that sure that Sonya would fit in with Angel's band. I don't think she can pull off the androgynous look. Personally if the next volume will be the last for Menage a 3 I'd like for Sticky Dilly Buns to replace it so it could go on for a few more volumes until it could be inevitably wrapped up, but I digress.

I don't particularly hate Zii for this or DiDi, but she may soon be realizing the consequences of her love em' and leave em' approach to life. This could start a break up in the band if this reminds Yuki of how she ran away when she got too clingy as well as create a rift within the apartment. I know Peggy likes having a bed to sleep in, but I'd like to think at this point she's saved up enough money to rent her own place and just needs to find a roommate. Maybe Gary will follow her out the door or perhaps she'll room with one of the other characters.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If "the universe" is into paying people back for bad stuff - and personally, I think that's BS; what happens is that actions have logical consequences - then Sonya is currently the universe's specially appointed agent. Zii is about to discover that playing love 'em and leave 'em with people doesn't work when you not only let those people get close to you, but you make them crucial to other parts of your life. If Sonya was just a spurned lover, well, Zii has been there before - but she's also Zii's bass player, and while lovers are easy to find, a good bass player is gold dust.

None of which makes Sonya a good person, but so what? She's playing Agent of Karma 69. Being good would just get in her way.
---------
Spidrift

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

While I can acknowledge there's some tension in the air, the girls' argument looks to be heating up rather quickly. Looking back at the last strip, it seems that Zii and DiDi started getting upset from the getgo. That feels quite strange since Peggy hasn't said anything other than facts at first, I guess Zii and DiDi took quite a lot of offense from the truth tea she's spilled.

Maybe there were some mean/judgemental stares during the concealed fifteen-minute-waffle-truce which might've contributed.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

brnleague99 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 pm
Sonya. Throwing the pussy in Zii's face...yet again.
Yes. Fantastic. Thank you, that's funny as hell =))
Ophelianime wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm
Please don't tell me she gets her own spin-off! I want SDB back!
On another note, I'm waiting for Ani Conda to make an appearance. If you will recall, she wants Didi as well, and last she heard she was available. I wonder where that will go. Also, what's going to happen with Kiley now? So far she and Peggy (and the absent Dillian) are my favorite characters. Mostly due to their ability to think about other people besides themselves, which is rare in this strip.
Maybe Sonya joins the cast of SDB and it comes back? Or it just comes back anyway? Please ? :)
At this point I think a lot of readers would be happy to see Ani supplex Zii and maybe realise that Didi isn't worth the trouble.
And yeah we could use more Kiley, she's always fun :)

Getting so defensive and angry right away is a poor defence. Especially when Peggy is being so polite about it.
And really, what argument is "But what about my feelings?"when you're being told to stop treating people like shit? I guess Zii is telling us "Yes we are selfish, and we have no problem needlessly crushing people's feelings, that's just who we are".
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."