14-09-17 Really gonna hate me

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

MoonshadowDark

Re: 14-09-17 Really gonna hate me

Post by MoonshadowDark »

I hope Zii didn't just abandon her cat to live with Sonya. Lita belongs with Gary!

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

that is not what I expected. I'm really surprised that Didi was able to grasp what Sonya was trying to do. I'm not sure what exactly to feel about the fact that Zii saw sonyas emotional state and (seemed) willing to talk through it, but still just left the problem. I think the gag at th end sort of falls flat, and the fact that Sonya is crying in the conical boohoohoo style is out of place enough to make me question her sinscerity, but I am glad that she seems to be upset with Zii.

I guess the reason that I'm starting to be so irritated with Zii is that even though there didn't really seem to be many consequences for her in the past, it always seemed like she was never in enough control to get precisely what she wanted. Now though, she seems to have gotten exactly what she wanted, no holds barred. Part of it might be that this is the only scene I've ever had to read on a strip by strip basis though.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

That strip would be somewhat better if Didi had kept her mouth shut. She really is the worst.
"Oh, that person is upset and clearly in pain, let's just not try to help in any way, she deserves to suffer for trying to seduce me. Also, I'm gonna flaunt to her face that I'm gonna be sleeping with her ex tonight".
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

No cat left behind, Zii! NO CAT LEFT BEHIND!

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Once again, poor Sonya. And once again, she'll bounce back. And poor Lita too. My current guess is that Sonya is going to quit the band for now. Maybe Izz could learn how to play bass.

And to those people complaining about Zii and Didi, the comic has at least one more volume to go after this one. Things will probably become more complicated for those two soon enough.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

This probably why Lita likes Gary more.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Well, once DiDi refused Sonya's advances, it was inevitable that someone (most likely Sonya) was going to end up boo-hooing on the couch. The only way to avoid breaking someone's heart was for them to have that threesome with Zii, and that most likely would have only postponed the inevitable, unless all three agreed to continue that arrangement.

I agree with those who say Sonya will bounce back, and I also think she'll come at Zii and DiDi like a Fury out of Hades. As for Zii and DiDI, while it may look like Zii got exactly what she wanted, I also think this is going to turn out to be a case of "be careful what you wish for" far as Zii's concerned.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Boro

Post by Boro »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:51 pm
Boro wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 am
I did. And I hated Sonya. But it's totally vice versa now. Zii and DiDi are selfish bitches and Sonya is a victim of the circumstances.
And sometime next year, it'll probably be the other way round again, and your feelings will flip-flop accordingly. There's probably some kind of boring moral here about rushing to judgement. But the point is that these are relatively complicated characters (I mean, nothing like realistically complicated, but given a bit of light and shade), with good and bad sides. So of course they sometimes look better than at other times.
No, this was actually "I had enought of her shit" judgement from my side. In the amount. I don't see how the easy way you described can rehabilitate a character from that.

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

I don't think Sonya is going to quit the band. She may be hurt, but claiming professionalism would be the excuse to remain close to Zii, which she requires since she will definitely try to break the new couple one way or another. For revenge? Or because she is that obsessed with getting Zii back and has not learned her lesson? Or because she feeds on drama? Maybe even all of the above? That remains to be seen, but I'd expect no less.

Whatever the case, I fully expect Sonya's plan to involve preying on Zii's uncontrollable lust the way she did back when Erik was a factor. Whether she loves or hates Zii right now, she is not above such move.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Boro wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 pm
No, this was actually "I had enought of her shit" judgement from my side. In the amount. I don't see how the easy way you described can rehabilitate a character from that.
Who said anything about rehabilitation? That kind of implies she's committed a crime. Actually, she's just been an arse. Repeatedly, admittedly, but that's not actually a crime.

Not that Sonya will see it that way, mind, which brings us to her immediate response. Now, she restrained herself from trashing Zii's guitar, supposedly on the grounds of cost - but I can't help suspecting that there was a large dose of musicianly respect for a good instrument in that. And there are traditional consequences for leaving a spurned and angry lover on their own in the place where you've been living. Zii may need a new wardrobe soon, unless she wants to take the trendy ripped denims look to the limit.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Boro

Post by Boro »

Not sure why the "rehabilitate" word cause you talking about crime. :-?? But I meant that Zii constantly lowering a lot of scores as a good person, causing her to be a really shitty one.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Maybe 'boo-hoo' is how Sonya deeply cries, complete with jack-hammering of shoulders? I'm just thankful it wasn't a Lucille Ball-style 'waaaahh' or 'Ziiiiiii!' ala Ricky Ricardo. I don't see it as campy as others do, but more sincere if a tad loud. To each their own.

More to the point is Lita's circumstance. We didn't really see Lita a lot once Zii moved into Sonya's, presumably because she was not liking the new surroundings and was hiding. I hope that Lita doesn't scratch up Sonya, but I can't help but imagine the parallel of Sonya losing face to failing to seduce Didi and getting clawed by Lita.

I'm not sure how professional their band was, or if it was more akin to a serious hobby. That being said, I seriously question Sonya remaining in the band out of a sense of duty. Yuki and her are over, she's not (yet) fond of Izzy, and "not wanting to see your face" might not wear off anytime soon. There might be a helping of drama thrown into her despair, but I suspect it is genuine anguish from Sonya. I could see Sonya trying to get Zii booted from the band for a couple of reasons. I could envision her trying to seek solace (or revenge-filled satisfaction) with a couple of characters. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Gary, on the other hand, might not know what to do with Zii back at the apartment. I could also see Peggy getting upset and demanding some fairness if she truly did replace Zii in the roommate triangle situation; if she's helping to pay the bills, then Zii & Didi need to keep the sex noises from waking her up if it bothers her. Remember: she just left Sonya's for Zii & Sonya's rude frolicking.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

maybe she'll latch onto izz in an effort to make zii jealous, maybe they'll go off together and start a rival band
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The band is "Zii and the Troublemakers". That makes booting Zii kind of tricky. Especially given that Yuki probably still feels some loyalty to Zii.

A plot involving Izz as a Zii-substitute has two problems. (1) Izz is a fanatical Zii fan. (2) Izz has been consistently shown as a highly erratic and often crap musician. She'll probably show up in the end-of-volume strip, I guess, but I'm not sure to what effect.

Actually, I'd mostly like to see the band play a second gig. Otherwise, they do seem a bit pointless.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Jobe00

Post by Jobe00 »

This is why animals kill.
"The future ain't what it used to be."
-Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Jobe
"Universes Exist in My Mind."