31-08-17 Smash your guitar

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Varanus

Re: 31-08-17 Smash your guitar

Post by Varanus »

This situation is just sad/pitiful on all sides. I also still want an explanation for how Didi went from "Zii is in love with Gary" to "I'm in love with Zii."

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Well put Worldshaking00 :)
This is actually a good opportunity to renew the comic instead of falling into the same patterns again.
Sonya and Yuki can have a serious discussion about the band after they kick Zii out, Iz gets motivated to work her ass off to become good enough to make the band work and realises that Zii isn't that great after all.
Zii soon realises that Didi is actually tiring after a while, and maybe not worth the sex part.
Gary could realise he's been abused a lot and start growing a backbone.

Or ... or not. Maybe this will all be forgiven for the sake of light hearted comedy again.
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

It ain't that lighthearted no more....
YMMV, of course.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Not for us, the audience, because we build in our minds everything that's missing in the comic.
But the way it's written it often feels like no matter how bad the situation gets, the quick joke is supposed to make us forget and move on. As if none of the characters can really get hurt.
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

I fully admit this is MY failing, but I can't find myself feeling bad for Sonya. I'm still stuck with the whole claim "I'm not a lesbian!" I don't recall if the subject of bisexuality was ever brought up, but I'm fairly sure she would deny that as well, since it has lesbianism included in that label. That level of self-denial makes me leave my sympathy at the door. Not sure why.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

That's a good point and I wish it would be explained. I mean, at first it could have been just because it was new to her, but she still says that now. There is more to it. She doesn't have a problem with lesbians in general though, so it feels like a something she says without thinking.
I don't think she was ever called bisexual though. Maybe she'd be ok with that, and her saying she's not a lesbian is just her wanting to be precise about what she is. It feels defensive though.

Quote removed. The DAMNed
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Pier777 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm
I fully admit this is MY failing, but I can't find myself feeling bad for Sonya. I'm still stuck with the whole claim "I'm not a lesbian!" I don't recall if the subject of bisexuality was ever brought up, but I'm fairly sure she would deny that as well, since it has lesbianism included in that label. That level of self-denial makes me leave my sympathy at the door. Not sure why.
Maybe because it's hard to feel bad about her being lied to when she's already lying to herself so much? Or because it's just another false pretence on which her "totally-friends-with-benefits-but-not-girlfriends-at-all" relationship with Zii was built? That's my two cents anyway.

Personally, my reasons for not feeling sympathy for Sonya are basically that it feels like the chickens are coming home to roost. Remember when we saw her constantly trying to seduce Zii out of her relationship with Erik and joyous when she succeeded on the third try? Or when she and Yuki lost the spark in their hate-sex relationship, so she feigned a quickie with Gary to organise a crazy threesome between them? We all know she loves drama, but unsurprisingly she only seems to love drama when the worst parts of it are happening to someone else. Now that it's actually happening to her, it's not as much fun, is it? Now she's getting a taste of what it was like for Zii way back when, but I haven't seen any signs in the last few updates that this will be a sobering, formative moment for her that will make her a better person. And without that, hearing her talk about how aggrieved she is that Zii had sex with someone else even though she agreed not to just seems really rich coming from her and I can't help but chuckle at the irony.

And people say there's no such thing as karma in this comic universe. Personally, I think there is, but it has really bad aim and only sometimes hits its intended targets.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I love Panel 3,even if it's only drawed, i can actually see Sonya's hypothalamic attack region firing after what Zii just said... It's like those words were equal to Faith manipulating her rage centers in a milisecond... Damn i miss EC/MC...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

This is honestly the first time I've ever really felt sympathy for Sonya. Obvious character flaws aside, her longing for Zii has been one of her few consistentencies. And all this time Zii has been pushing her away because she didn't want anything serious. And the moment Sonya tries to keep it casual is the moment Zii decides that she does?! What a BURN
That being said, as much as I want to hate on Zii for this, from a more detached standpoint, each person has a different relationship speed and it's not entirely Zii's fault that Sonya got serious way before she did. If anything, Zii is being incredibly thoughtless, stupid, and insensitive; but not entirely heartless.

This is kind of off topic, but has anyone else noticed that all three strips(MA3, DC, SOTR) have gotten really . . . lesbian for a long time?
And before anyone can accuse me of hating, I want it on the record that I have NO PROBLEM with lesbians!
It's just that, it seems for the past year at least the strips have focused mainly on the relationships between women. Ever since SDB got cancled, the most gay we've seen has been when that guy from SOTR is called in to seduce someone for the evil modeling lady. And the most hetero we've seen has been Gary getting pegged by Peggy and Teddy in Chloe's body doing it with grim reaper.
It was interesting for a while, but honestly I've begun to get bored with girls, girls, girls, girls.

Double post merged. The DAMNed

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Ophelianime wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm
This is honestly the first time I've ever really felt sympathy for Sonya. Obvious character flaws aside, her longing for Zii has been one of her few consistentencies. And all this time Zii has been pushing her away because she didn't want anything serious. And the moment Sonya tries to keep it casual is the moment Zii decides that she does?! What a BURN
That being said, as much as I want to hate on Zii for this, from a more detached standpoint, each person has a different relationship speed and it's not entirely Zii's fault that Sonya got serious way before she did. If anything, Zii is being incredibly thoughtless, stupid, and insensitive; but not entirely heartless.
Agree with this on all points.

Sonya's rage is most likely self-directed, or just directed at her bad luck. She has always, always wanted something serious with Zii, but she recently cracked this master plan to get that serious relationship by pretending like it wasn't. Then, just when it seemed the plan was working, Zii suddenly flip-flops and wants something serious. Just not with her.

I mean, *ouch*.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I feel sorry for Sonya, because I know how terrible it feels to feel that hurt and that responsible at the same time. It sucks. Really really sucks. :p

However, Zii's lying. It's not that she just now wants a serious relationship, she just never wanted it with Sonya, the one who really loves her. Didi was just the big breasted blonde bimbo Zii always wanted.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

BTW, Zii's guitar is not a Les Paul, it looks like a Telecaster, they cheap ones go for like 400, but knowing her, that guitar could cost more than 3k...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I just realised I never took the opportunity to make this reference/joke. Time to fix that.

"Oh it breaks my heart, to see those stars
Smashing a perfectly good guitar
I don't know who they think they are
Smashing a perfectly good guitar!"

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

+1 for the extraordinarily appropriate John Hiatt reference!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

rogermart wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm
BTW, Zii's guitar is not a Les Paul, it looks like a Telecaster, they cheap ones go for like 400, but knowing her, that guitar could cost more than 3k...
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel...
Pier777 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm
DiDi mentioned the word "bisexual" to her once, and Sonya said that it sounded like an interesting idea; she more or less asked if there was a dress code. Then she forgot about it, because she's a comedy character who's stuck with a catchphrase.

But that's the thing with Sonya, it seems to me; she's potentially a complex, and maybe even smart character, but she's stuck in the body of a dim-witted bimbo. The "not a lesbian" nonsense is clearly just her thinking in clichés; she should know she's talking rubbish, but she probably reckons that lesbians are social outcasts and freaks who wear dungarees and mullets, and she can't be one of those. She often acts almost as dumb as DiDi, and yet she's a capable musician and an ace seductress, with odd little hobbies like making her own soap, and even her wacky evil schemes are often quite effective. I see DiDi as stupid all the way through, whereas Sonya seems like a woman with a fairly good brain who just never bothers to use it.

This strip may show another example of this. Sonya doesn't break the guitar because she's not an uncontrolled psycho like Yuki; she's just exploring this great new world of drama and psychosexual complexity, which means acting out a bit. She's got that narrow world-view, which maybe tends to make her underestimate herself, for all her vanity. Which may explain her fixation on Zii, whose great accomplishment was breaking Sonya out of her terribly limited, unambitious world-view and making her show just what she was capable of, sexually, musically, and socially. The day that Sonya realises that she doesn't need Zii, that she can break free of her self-imposed limits unaided, that some distance makes everything seem small, and the fears that once controlled her can't get to her at all... will either be very wonderful or very scary.

No right, no wrong, no rules...

Zii, on the other hand, just needs to learn that growing up should include a little more empathy for your godamned friends.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.