31-08-17 Smash your guitar

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 31-08-17 Smash your guitar

Post by Spidrift »

The scene a few strips ago where DiDi seduced Zii by persuading her that their past friendship might actually have been the beginnings of a romantic relationship was a bit weird, but you can read it as Zii coming to realise that she does want a deeper relationship at this point in her life. Presumably, if anyone had tried anything similar at an earlier time, she'd just have laughed it off.

Whether she suddenly fell for it this time because she really does have deep feelings for DiDi, or because her uncontrollable lust for DiDi made her willing to fool herself, or because she's really in need of an emotional relationship with someone and DiDi was the first person to make her realise that, remains to be seen. Given that the nearest thing she seemed to have to an emotional bond with anyone prior to those strips was her confused feeling for Gary, I'd guess not the first - but this comic frankly isn't above throwing out a red herring and then leaving it, and any associated plot or character loose ends, unresolved. Or maybe we can split the difference and the simple guess was right all along; the comic is due to end with the original threesome in an actual menage, with Zii as the keystone despite DiDi's lack of feelings for Gary.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Nielsen as a keystone?
Get the building inspector in here stat, 'cause I see design flaws that are going to bring the roof down on everyone's heads....

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:15 pm
IIRC, Sonya was bored of/with Jake. Granted, Sonya & Jake were together when Zii & Sonya met at the cafe. Sonya made the decision to break it off with Jake. Zii was happy to have (yet another) gorgeous fuck-buddy. Win for the two ladies.

Sonya broke up Eric/Zii because Sonya deep down loves Zii (or maybe, loves the drama/uncertain feelings Zii brings out in her... there's debate there). What Sonya did was selfish and manipulative and dastardly, I don't think anyone could argue that. I'm also not saying that there's some karma being revisited on Sonya's head either, with Zii choosing Didi over her... despite Sonya's admission of eternally wanting to be with ZIi in the picture.

As readers, we are privy to knowing that Sonya sabotaged Eric/Zii. Zii was none the wiser, and her choosing Didi over Sonya isn't fueled by revenge or perceived slight. Zii is acting out as normal Zii would: going for what she wants right now.
  • Zii broke a promise to the one woman in the world who (at that time) rescued Zii from depression & offered her everything in order to please her.
  • Zii then bold-faced lied to Sonya and only is forthcoming of her feelings towards Didi because she was caught due to Didi's loose lips.
  • Then she iced the shit-cake by saying that she's looking for a permanent relationship now, despite Sonya very very poorly telling Zii that their relationship was completely non-committal. Once again, reference the strip picture.
I still stand by my opinion that Zii is taking her trophy-Didi and being a poor winner, not giving respect & love to those who truly care for her. We have to take Didi at face value that she says she loves Zii, especially since she can apparently orgasm from her. How much of that is emotional transference or 'guitar fingers' is up for debate. As others have stated, I would not place it below ZIi to rub into Gary's face that she could make Didi orgasm where he could not. Makes one wonder if Didi would appreciate that.
Wasn't there more than just being bored with Jake? Wasn't it a threesome that had Zii with Jake all night after Sonya fell asleep?

I'd say Zii actually knew Sonya wanted the long term the whole time, and knew Sonya was saying the opposite of what she wanted.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:24 am
The scene a few strips ago where DiDi seduced Zii by persuading her that their past friendship might actually have been the beginnings of a romantic relationship was a bit weird, but you can read it as Zii coming to realise that she does want a deeper relationship at this point in her life. Presumably, if anyone had tried anything similar at an earlier time, she'd just have laughed it off.

Whether she suddenly fell for it this time because she really does have deep feelings for DiDi, or because her uncontrollable lust for DiDi made her willing to fool herself, or because she's really in need of an emotional relationship with someone and DiDi was the first person to make her realise that, remains to be seen. Given that the nearest thing she seemed to have to an emotional bond with anyone prior to those strips was her confused feeling for Gary, I'd guess not the first - but this comic frankly isn't above throwing out a red herring and then leaving it, and any associated plot or character loose ends, unresolved. Or maybe we can split the difference and the simple guess was right all along; the comic is due to end with the original threesome in an actual menage, with Zii as the keystone despite DiDi's lack of feelings for Gary.
This makes me wonder if Didi wouldn't be to stupid for Zii to stay with.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Honestly, DiDi's disconnection from normal human interactions would make her a challenge for anyone to live with. Not impossible, perhaps, but they'd really need to love her to make them willing to deal with it. Does Zii feel that way? Will she be caught between her obsessive desire for the goddess and the overwhelming urge to smack the idiot round the head? We have to wait and see.

(Ah, DiDi - the exact place where the falling angel meets the rising ape - but neither of them is looking where they're going.)
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 pm
Wasn't there more than just being bored with Jake? Wasn't it a threesome that had Zii with Jake all night after Sonya fell asleep?
Sonya got pissed off with Jake when she woke up to find him banging Zii without her. But she subsequently forgave him for that, before giving up on him entirely... Look, just click on the "Sonya" tag and work through the first couple of dozen strips where she appears. It's easier than me or anyone else trying to precis it.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:15 pm
Sonya broke up Eric/Zii because Sonya deep down loves Zii (or maybe, loves the drama/uncertain feelings Zii brings out in her... there's debate there). What Sonya did was selfish and manipulative and dastardly, I don't think anyone could argue that.
Um... (timidly raises hand) here? I want to argue.

Sonya planned to break up Eric/Zii by seducing Eric and proving to Zii that he's a faithless cheater. This actually isn't such a bad thing. There's a very old trope, one that I have found in dozens of books, where a girl gets a boyfriend and another girl (usually the best friend or the sister of the first girl) attempts to seduce the guy just to test his mettle. If he resists her advances, cool! she can go to the first girl and inform her that he's okay. If he doesn't, oops! he failed the test; scratch one fickle boyfriend. This was Sonya's plan, this is exactly what she wanted to do. Of course, she had a selfish motive: she actually wanted Zii for herself, and was hoping for the second outcome. This kinda diverges from the original trope... well, hey, nobody's perfect. :p But, fact is, testing your friend's boyfriend's faithfulness is a classic story cliché with deep roots in real life and, honestly, shouldn't be deemed as evil or dastardly or wrong.

In any case, the point is moot: none of this ever came to pass, because Sonya got drunk and forgot all about her plan. #-o

Next thing, Sonya takes Peggy to Gary to get her laid, Zii takes Didi to Gary with the same goal, they all meet at Gary's place, it turns out that Gary isn't home, so the four horny drunken girls start a big lesbian orgy. Lots and lots of sexy kinky naughty things happen, and then, by pure coincidence, Eric arrives just in time to hear Zii declare her passionate love/lust to Didi.

As a result, Eric/Zii broke up.

Frankly, it's unfair to say that Sonya is to blame for this whole mess and its consequences.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The only snag is, she wasn't testing Erik to find out if he was worthy of Zii. She assumed that she'd succeed in seducing him, because of her sublime confidence in her own sex appeal and cunning. She was drunk on her own new vampy self-image before she touched a drop of booze.

I mean, I like her; she's sexy and entertaining and kind of has a point a lot of the time. But she really needs to stop trying to be a femme fatale.

Incidentally, skimming through those early Sonya strips shows her early character evolution very clearly in retrospect. To begin with, she's a sweet sexy naive idiot. Then, she works out how to seduce Zii (gosh that's really hard), and discovers that she enjoys it (and her Zii fixation beds in). Then, she meets Yuki in company with Gary, and pow -- her competitive instinct kicks in like a mule. After which, pretty everything else we've seen about her is just accumulation of detail.
---------
Spidrift

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

As I said before, she was hoping for the second outcome. Nobody's perfect. And the fact remains that, if her plan had worked and Zii had dumped Eric in disgust, it would have been Eric's fault, not hers.

Speaking about dumping, I've been thinking for some time that Kiley has bigger issues than her boob obsession. It's unsettling how she dumps her lovers at the first hint of a problem in the relationship. She doesn't listen to their side of the story, she doesn't care for their reasons, she doesn't suggest that they talk about it and solve it together, oh no, hell no. She just dumps them, BAM, clean breakup and it's all over. Something's really wrong with her.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Kiley's done that, what, three times? She dumped Gary out of a misplaced sense of responsibility, Matt because she'd accurately diagnosed him as being a jerk, and DiDi because she'd been looking for an escape for weeks and she finally got the chance to run like hell.

Looks like just coincidence to me. Anyway, the last case was far from the first sign of trouble.
---------
Spidrift

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

There's that male brain thing again.

"What, three times?" is one hundred percent of her relationships afawk, dude. And we must go with what we know. Everything else is fanwank.

She has a one hundred percent record of dumping her lovers at the first hint of a minor disagreement. Maybe she has a problem, maybe not. Time and Giz will tell. For now, one hundred percent sounds pretty heavy.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Chastel does not count as a relationship; she was pressuring Kylie into 'being' with her.

Matt genuinely acted like an *******. Dumping him was just common sense.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Vitocap wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:25 pm
There's that male brain thing again.

"What, three times?" is one hundred percent of her relationships afawk, dude. And we must go with what we know. Everything else is fanwank.

She has a one hundred percent record of dumping her lovers at the first hint of a minor disagreement. Maybe she has a problem, maybe not. Time and Giz will tell. For now, one hundred percent sounds pretty heavy.
We must go with what we know, so if what we know is insufficient data, we must not go at all. Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent.

We've seen Kiley in one truncated one-day relationship, one coercive bit of lunacy, and one actual relationship from which she was fairly wise to jump. That's probably insufficient data, but if we can extrapolate from it at all she keeps getting involved in deranged pseudo-relationships, from which she tends to depart at speed, if not always soon. This, I submit, is probably because they're comedy relationships, and she's a comedy character. Actually, other cast members have been shown departing from relationships with similar weird vigour; Zii bugging out on Yuki in the middle of the night, say, or Sonya dumping Gary in mid-fornication.

I know fanwank (and it seems to be as much a female as a male vice, by my casual observations). Hell, I can do fanwank, when the urge takes me. This ain't it. And trying to imply that people who disagree with you only do so because they have a Y chromosome is kind of dubious.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

And in those seconds, Sonya authored a new tapping solo!

Also, comic is still pencils only, and it's been several weeks.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Have you looked at the SDB archives lately?
---------
Spidrift