Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

rogermart

Re: 31-08-17 Smash your guitar

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 pm
rogermart wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm
BTW, Zii's guitar is not a Les Paul, it looks like a Telecaster, they cheap ones go for like 400, but knowing her, that guitar could cost more than 3k...
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel...
Meat Loaf! Nice reference!
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Well there's another persons plan backfired (except Zii's backfire apparently ended up getting her everything she wanted so...)

Personally I don't feel too bad for Sonya because a) She was scheming and her plan backfired, and b) I'm still not entirely sure that she would be happy if she "captured" Zii as it kind of seems her main thrill is in the "hunt".

I am curious whether or not this is an actual breakthrough for Zii or if it's just her dealing with the emotional fallout of *la gasp* being overlooked for Gary. And I'm also still curious how Didi arrived at her side of the conclusions, it really feels like we missed a flashback or two in there somewhere.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm
First off: thanks Giz for doing updates while you're at the 'Con. Even in pencil, it is much more appreciated than no update.
Whole forum applause:

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm
Zii can't have been so stupid as to not realize that Sonya was wanting her. Simply put, Zii is coming up with excuses to choose Didi over Sonya... Zii's just too wrapped up in her own lust-love to realize that she just triple-hurt a good friend for a piece of ass {she broke a promise, she lied about it to her face, and she snubbed Sonya's veiled advances for a permanent relationship}.
Veiled?

Actually, I've often wondered how, after sharing such a moment, Zii/Sonya could keep pretending that their relationship was just casual meaningless sex. I mean, Sonya's declaration was a major development event. There's no way they just forgot what happened at that time. So how come the whole thing was never mentioned again?

*Sigh* Guess it fell into a plothole.

:-??
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

"That guitar's a foreign object, King! Bahgawd, somebody needs to stop this match!"

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

dewelar wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 pm
+1 for the extraordinarily appropriate John Hiatt reference!
Eheheh, thank you muchly.
Spidrift wrote:
rogermart wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm
BTW, Zii's guitar is not a Les Paul, it looks like a Telecaster, they cheap ones go for like 400, but knowing her, that guitar could cost more than 3k...
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster, but I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel...
Seems it's a day to make funny guitar jokes, heh.
Spidrift wrote:
Pier777 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm
I fully admit this is MY failing, but I can't find myself feeling bad for Sonya. I'm still stuck with the whole claim "I'm not a lesbian!" I don't recall if the subject of bisexuality was ever brought up, but I'm fairly sure she would deny that as well, since it has lesbianism included in that label. That level of self-denial makes me leave my sympathy at the door. Not sure why.
DiDi mentioned the word "bisexual" to her once, and Sonya said that it sounded like an interesting idea; she more or less asked if there was a dress code. Then she forgot about it, because she's a comedy character who's stuck with a catchphrase.

But that's the thing with Sonya, it seems to me; she's potentially a complex, and maybe even smart character, but she's stuck in the body of a dim-witted bimbo. The "not a lesbian" nonsense is clearly just her thinking in clichés; she should know she's talking rubbish, but she probably reckons that lesbians are social outcasts and freaks who wear dungarees and mullets, and she can't be one of those. She often acts almost as dumb as DiDi, and yet she's a capable musician and an ace seductress, with odd little hobbies like making her own soap, and even her wacky evil schemes are often quite effective. I see DiDi as stupid all the way through, whereas Sonya seems like a woman with a fairly good brain who just never bothers to use it.

This strip may show another example of this. Sonya doesn't break the guitar because she's not an uncontrolled psycho like Yuki; she's just exploring this great new world of drama and psychosexual complexity, which means acting out a bit. She's got that narrow world-view, which maybe tends to make her underestimate herself, for all her vanity. Which may explain her fixation on Zii, whose great accomplishment was breaking Sonya out of her terribly limited, unambitious world-view and making her show just what she was capable of, sexually, musically, and socially. The day that Sonya realises that she doesn't need Zii, that she can break free of her self-imposed limits unaided, that some distance makes everything seem small, and the fears that once controlled her can't get to her at all... will either be very wonderful or very scary.

No right, no wrong, no rules...

Zii, on the other hand, just needs to learn that growing up should include a little more empathy for your godamned friends.
Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door!
etc.

Jokes aside, though, I think empathy is a problem many people suffer from lacking or not really understanding in this comic. A lot of comedy setups and situations requires a requisite amount of sadism, right?

Prydonian

Post by Prydonian »

Yyyyyyyyyyyyup. And neither of those examples are especially hetero anyway.
Ophelianime wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:59 pm
This is kind of off topic, but has anyone else noticed that all three strips(MA3, DC, SOTR) have gotten really . . . lesbian for a long time?
And before anyone can accuse me of hating, I want it on the record that I have NO PROBLEM with lesbians!
It's just that, it seems for the past year at least the strips have focused mainly on the relationships between women. Ever since SDB got cancled, the most gay we've seen has been when that guy from SOTR is called in to seduce someone for the evil modeling lady. And the most hetero we've seen has been Gary getting pegged by Peggy and Teddy in Chloe's body doing it with grim reaper.
It was interesting for a while, but honestly I've begun to get bored with girls, girls, girls, girls.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Vitocap wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:59 am

Veiled?
<snip image and stuff>
*Sigh* Guess it fell into a plothole.

:-??
Wow. Good call there @Vitocap. I forgot about that admission of eternal love if Zii wasn't such a "stubborn bitch." Thanks! In that light, it makes me even less sympathetic toward Zii when karma comes-a-knockin'. Damn. I mean, Sonya had some payback coming for breaking up Eric/Zii, so I am not so upset at Sonya's circumstance. But Zii really is doing Sonya dirty. The eye twitch in panel 3 is completely justified now.

Zii's stubbornness is in acquiring Didi's affection, it seems, no matter the cost. I foresee a 'grass is greener on the other side' event on the horizon.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Once again, poor Sonya. She just needs to move on with someone else and be happy with that person instead.

And I noticed that Kiley has been absent from the comic for a while now. Because of that I'm all but certain Kiley reconciled with Matt but Matt is still seeing Yuki on the side so that might lead to some drama if/when Kiley finds out.

Jean

Post by Jean »

AlexDenton wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 am
suranae wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 am
Zii would blame her. A real Les Paul guitar costs nearly a thousand dollars.

Sometimes more depending on model.
Yeah, but a broken heart is priceless T_T
Or she can just end up spanking Zii, but that would only end in at least someone liking it...

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

With Chastel there, it would end with Sonya in a headlock or a suplex in any case.
If not the hospital.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

All the hilarious guitar references, and everybody is missing the obvious one; is it possible that Sonya Won't Get Fooled Again?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!

I only wish I could come up with a decent CSI Miami-style quip.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

"Looks like she was ..." -- sunglasses -- "one step behind."

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Jean wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am
AlexDenton wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 am
suranae wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 am
Zii would blame her. A real Les Paul guitar costs nearly a thousand dollars.

Sometimes more depending on model.
Yeah, but a broken heart is priceless T_T
Or she can just end up spanking Zii, but that would only end in at least someone liking it...
I think Zii mentioned liking that early in the comic. In a strip club. Details are fuzzy, it's been a while ^^
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She demonstrated a liking in the backroom of the strip club. And some of her roleplay with Erik clearly headed that way. But basically, I think, anyone in this comic with an honest enjoyment of sex (i.e. almost all the cast) can enjoy a range of mild kinks as part of the fun.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.