Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

29-08-17 A lot to talk about

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 29-08-17 A lot to talk about

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Huh, well, that subterfuge was surprisingly short-lived. Haha! A relief, in a way.
Unless the next scene is back with Maura and Tess post-hospital visit, the follow-up to this is fairly tough to hypothesise. Will Sonya *forgive* Zii as she is still blindly obsessed, or will she finally realise Zii would be, and has been, a truly terrible girlfriend (at least, terribly unfaithful, adverse to monogamy, and far too fickle)? Didn't expect her initial reaction to be tears, so in spite of her numerous earlier schemes, feel a bit sorry for Sonya.
DiDi and Zii are not the easiest to cheer for, or even like right now... Did enjoy the "busted" expressions in panel 3, though.

*EDIT* Not sure whether last line is DiDi being sardonic or if she seriously missed/didn't know the point. The former isn't impossible, though the latter seems more likely.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"Surprisingly"? Come on, it involved DiDi doing something involving thought. A sensible gambler would have had this down as a good each-way bet. And Sonya's distress was quite predictable; for all her love of drama, her feelings for Zii have always been deeply embedded.

Of course, she'll very likely enjoy the ensuing melodrama, in her heart of hearts, while being totally sincere about it. She's a big-hearted woman; she can love two things at once, Zii and drama.

As for DiDi - she's just reacting to the exposure of her stupidity, after Zii doubtless spent hours explaining to her how and why they should conceal things, by pulling a cute "oh silly me" face and pose. Actually, one can imagine this is how DiDi has got through life while being quite such a moron; she can persuade most people not to stay mad at her for long. She can be both quite realistic and screen-punchingly annoying sometimes. And Zii's expression suggests to me that she knew this would happen, sooner or later, in her heart of hearts.

(In other words, great Giz face-drawing in this strip.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

MikeMcDuck

Post by MikeMcDuck »

I agree. Those expressions in panel 3 speak volumes.

So, now the question is: Does Zii move back in with Gary and DiDi? And if so, do Zii and Didi do this as an official couple? And what about Peggy? If Zii and Didi room together, and Peggy takes the other bedroom, you will have to change the name of the strip to Menage a 4. :-)

LonestarF1

Post by LonestarF1 »

I remember when Didi was praised for her improv acting skills by someone who actually had zero interest in gettin' in her pants. So it was at least a little credible.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Well, that didn't take long. When you try to pull off a deception with a partner as pathologically clueless as Didi I'm surprised she didn't blow it in the last panel of the previous strip.

This has made me do something that has only happened to me once before while reading this comic. It has made me disappointed in Zii. The first time was when Zii dumped Erik in a drunken stupor. Strangely enough Didi was involved in the periphery in that debacle too. I really hope that some positive resolution can be made at some point instead of mostly forgetting about it.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

MikeMcDuck wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:52 pm
So, now the question is: Does Zii move back in with Gary and DiDi? And if so, do Zii and Didi do this as an official couple? And what about Peggy? If Zii and Didi room together, and Peggy takes the other bedroom, you will have to change the name of the strip to Menage a 4.
Boring mandatory geek bit; there've been four people living in the apartment for weeks on end in the past.
LonestarF1 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm
I remember when Didi was praised for her improv acting skills by someone who actually had zero interest in gettin' in her pants. So it was at least a little credible.
I'm not saying you're wtong, but I don't remember this...
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I am very thankful that Zii's lie wasn't going to carry on for too long. It is bad enough that she broke her promise and then lied about it, to Sonya's face even. To carry on with it and compound the lie would be even worse. How Zii progresses from here will be interesting: does she come clean and be truthful to Sonya and break 'whatever they had' off with her? Does she waffle between Didi & Sonya? And how Sonya continues her reactions will be clutch: more tears or will anger or depression flavor the event? Will Didi's orgasm desires do the talking for her or will Didi's empathy pick up on Sonya's actual love for Zii and feel bad for getting in between the two of them {note: this is what she said she felt between Zii & Gary}. I'm curious to see if Zii will have any regrets over doing this to Sonya; it reminds me of a panel a long time ago, of Matt admitting to himself that he was a bastard after doing something terrible to someone all the while in the middle of a sexcapade after the fact.

To @Spidrfit's post, I get the impression that they (Zii & Didi) did not "spend hours" coming up with their ruse. Zii was too much into getting some Didi-loving that she honestly did not care. I'd bet a dozen donuts that they were pretty much putting their clothes back on and Zii would have told Didi to let Sonya know they had sex and to 'follow her lead' or some such. I did expect Didi to be the one to flub up the ruse though. She's just too open and too terrible at concealing her emotions.

Overall, I think karma exists in this strip. I expect it will take a long time to come for some characters, especially so if the character involved is a creator's favorite. But in the end, I am hoping that the happy ending they deserve will be just that: a happy one, and the one they deserve.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

Hi Spidrift! I don't remember the strip number, but there was this bit between Dillon and DiDi where they were acting all soap-opera-ish playing the part of two secret lovers, which they did just for laughs.

Which reminds me... Any news on the archive?

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

I can't stop laughing at the expressions drawn in panel 3. Such a priceless moment.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Well, if Gary was smart, he wouldn't let Zii back in. It's still his apartment. Him, Peggy and Didi with adding Zii back to the list after she just upped and left, likely without paying rent.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I'm pretty sure he'd let her back in, for several reasons the least of which is that he's just a nice guy. He's not making any positive headway into convincing Peggy to think of Gary as more than just a booty call. He deeply regrets not having sex with Zii at least once, or at least he mentions that as his 'in case he doesn't make it' words on a couple occasions.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Looks like Zii will probably just move back in with Gary, Didi, and Peggy but share Didi's room.

LonestarF1

Post by LonestarF1 »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm
Took some doin' to find it, but huzzah: http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Nave_farm_girl

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 pm
Will Didi's orgasm desires do the talking for her or will Didi's empathy pick up on Sonya's actual love for Zii and feel bad for getting in between the two of them {note: this is what she said she felt between Zii & Gary}.
Do you really think that DiDi has any real understanding of other people's feelings, rather than just sentimentally projecting her own ideas onto them?
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 pm
To @Spidrfit's post, I get the impression that they (Zii & Didi) did not "spend hours" coming up with their ruse. Zii was too much into getting some Didi-loving that she honestly did not care. I'd bet a dozen donuts that they were pretty much putting their clothes back on and Zii would have told Didi to let Sonya know they had sex and to 'follow her lead' or some such.
I just can't help thinking that it'd take hours to explain to DiDi (a) that they should lie, (b) why, and (c) what the cover story should be. DiDi really is written as very, very stupid these days.
LonestarF1 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm
Took some doin' to find it, but huzzah: http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Nave_farm_girl
I think that the next strip, http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Positive_energy , may have been even more relevant. Okay, yes, Dillon praised DiDi's acting. But that's almost far enough back to count as early installment weirdness -- DiDi has lost several points of IQ since then -- and it was absolutely not a very serious conversation, even at the time.
---------
Spidrift