22-08-17 Do you remember

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

leann123

Re: 22-08-17 Do you remember

Post by leann123 »

Eh, I'd rather see her realize her love for Gary...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Vaken wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm
"My boyfriend says it's like a sort of terrorism, that they'd put drugs in the water supplies, psychotropic drugs causing mass hallucinations and stuff."
-- Gwen Cooper --
Uh, okay...

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win,
You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline,
How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin...

Your serve.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

AnUnconcernedCitizen

Post by AnUnconcernedCitizen »

I went back and read the strips these came from and found it funny that rather than being shared loves, these were all times when Zii used time alone with Didi to try and get into her pants using any means necessary. Although I guess in her defense she uses any time with Didi to do that.

Still a cute strip overall.

Maracoon

Post by Maracoon »

I had interpreted it as her having fun with Didi... In context of things Gary loves. Playing with Transformers, cosplaying. She's been sexually attract to Didi, but is crying because Didi thinks Zii loves Gary because each of their bonding experiences implied she has similar interests with Gary.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I remember all of those...

1. Didi and Zii were watching REC (great movie BTW)
2. Didi and Zii returning from the strip club
3. Didi and Zii playing with Gary's toys and Zii "breaks" Overlord

BTW, this is strip 1337... is that still a thing?

Also, 13 more to end of volume 9.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

I am going to be the one who says it. I am perfectly okay with how this is taking place. I buy it, hook, line and sinker.

I think DiDi has been REALLY giving the whole thing some thought off-camera. And maybe that will be a story for bonus strips in the next volume, but my point is, the whole set of strips do leave you with a feeling that something else did happen that we haven't seen yet.

DiDi may be a lot of things, but evil manipulator is not one of them. Ok, she can be manipulative when it comes to getting herself an orgasm, but no one can deny that even on those ocasions, the minute she realizes someone is hurt, she is legitimately sorry and willing to make amends. She's oblivious, but never in a Scumbag Steve way. Today, her feelings seen legitimate.

And yes, I know she often doesn't realize she's being selfish and awful, but that is often part of her role in the comedy. Frustrating? Yes. Should she know better by now? Common sense says yes, Comic sense says «Nah, this has some more gas left».

And Zii has been obsessed with DiDi since day one. I think breaking up with Erik did leave a mark, and a broken heart. She's been skeptical about DiDi en the last strips, but as an owner to a broken heart myself, the crying reaction at someone clearly saying they want to BE with you is not a all far fetched.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I agree with @AnUnconcernedCitizen's post. While Didi and Zii were having fun together, the reason they were together wasn't mutually romantically based. Zii was just being opportunistic to get into Zii's panties (or at least see more naked Didi flesh; i.e. purely sexual as opposed to romance).

Didi, on the other hand, might very well consider these past events as date-worthy and thus the foundations for a romance. While most people would view these as innocent 'fun time' together, we have to remember Didi's effect on people/men/her previous dates. They can't keep their hands off of the goods and/or never gave her emotional satisfaction. Then she flitted to the next potential orgasm. She's also never had a lot of long-term friends, female or male, most likely due to the Didi effect as well. She has been in a relatively long-term friendship/roommate-relationship now, or at least it has gotten plenty of mileage, and they have a lot of memories to share. To Didi's mind, this is what real lovers have to base their romance on. And in a basic level, she is correct. But it surely is a weak foundation. Considering Didi's commitment to that love though, I am not sure how stable their relationship could be.

Didi was smothering to Kiley, and she considered it 'love' at the time. I would argue on Didi's behalf to say that Didi now knows better on some level that Kiley & Didi did not have a past. To Didi's new paradigm on love, Zii and her have much more in common and therefore she can fall in love with her and be romantic with her. If their relationship doesn't work out, I foresee Didi still flitting to her next orgasm-giver, though. I can't shake the fact that Didi is becoming addicted to orgasms now that she has had several.

Zii, I am sure, is in love with Didi. I wouldn't call it a purely selfless level though, due to Zii's faults. The Didi effect has her in a stranglehold. You can count on Zii to be undependable or to be self-absorbed. She has a decent heart overall, but she won't sacrifice to the point where it hurts; I would argue that is where true deep love lies. And Zii would have to commit, really commit, to Didi and accept that she is going to be smothered by Didi. If she honestly thinks that Didi is the perfect one for her, then no others should matter to Zii. Zii has to end her wandering tongue/hands issue.

It is intriguing to note that the flashback panels have elements of Gary's pastimes in them as well, with the exception of the scary movie viewing (unless you count that they are watching the movie on his TV and sofa). It probably is just coincidence, but it is worth mentioning.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Boro

Post by Boro »

Man, you guys going deep with this.
I don't know, it's just seems more interesting if Zii hook ups with Gary eventually. I mean what we haven't seen in Zii+sexy bimbo relationship? Gary, on the other hand, is something else entirely. A geek who's got himself under a smart and slutty rock musician girl's skin - I'm surely more curious about THIS turn of events.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Maybe if "awkward sad geek guy manages to capture the heart of sexy manic pixie dream girl who is way out of his league" wasn't the most boring, cliche, overplayed plot ever...

Boro

Post by Boro »

You right. Let's roll with something that we already saw a hundred times in this comic. That's not overplayed at all...

Quote removed. The DAMNed

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

Gary's in for a long, dark night of the soul pretty soon.

Sure, he got to visit Chastel Mountain, but he didn't reach the summit, so to speak - and he knows she was just using him for le orgasme, not anything romantic. Couple that with a potential Zii/DiDi romance - two of his biggest crushes getting together with him the odd one out - and he's gonna be a sad panda.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Optimus Kate wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:27 pm
Maybe if "awkward sad geek guy manages to capture the heart of sexy manic pixie dream girl who is way out of his league" wasn't the most boring, cliche, overplayed plot ever...
Exactly, it wouldn'tbe any particularly new.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Optimus Kate wrote:
Hi Kate. Nice to see you back.

I'll agree that the Manic Pixie Dream Girl plot is dull and silly, but in one sense, that bird is flown here; the Geeky Guy Gary has already managed to capture the hearts (or some such tender organs) of multiple Dream Girls through his unearned advantages. The difference in this case is simply that this Dream Girl can see how ridiculous and implausible the trope is, and is actually trying to fight it.

Alternatively, the difference is that Gary keeps refusing to play the plot right. Usually, the Geeky Guy becomes more extrovert and interesting because of the Dream Girl's Manic Pixie influence - but Gary has resolutely remained a boring nerd (and probably incapable of suffering any long dark night of the soul). But I can't see how Zii could suddenly do better than Kiley or Sonya or Sandra and make him interesting.

Funnily enough, we got a more classic Manic Pixie Dream Girl plot in SDB - but that was disguised, because the genders were inverted and the relationship remained platonic.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

SINCE F***ING WHEN!!!?

leann123

Post by leann123 »

Optimus Kate wrote:
Then why are you reading this comic? You can come up with "insert guy" manages to capture heard of "insert girl" and find some many examples of it. Whining that this particular scenario is "cliche" and "overused" could be said about so many combination. That's why it's stupid to try and make that argument.